Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2007

FAITH: Dog Tags

I just got my dog tags in the mail- I'm excited.

People wear cross necklaces, for different reasons. Some to tell the world they are Christian, others perhaps have their message aimed more towards fellow Christians, like a "you're not alone, brother" thing, and others as a personal reminder of their Lord. I'm most partial towards the last of the three, and I think it's summed up beautifully in the poem "The Cross in My Pocket."

Allow me to explain my tags...

The first one:

The Special Forces dog tag with "De Opresso Liber," perhaps intended to mean "to free from oppression," which is really "Oppressione liberare," as the original Special Forces did in aiding the French Resistance during WWII. Taken in this sense, I want to be part of God's Special Forces, sent into enemy territory to free people from the bondage of sin and bring them out of the darkness that they do not even realize is oppressing them (Plato's Allegory of the Cave-ish). But this isn't freeing by force, since that's not freeing, but giving them a hand, showing them love, telling them of how we were once oppressed but now have found freedom, and pointing them to God.

Literally, the tag says, "free from oppression," and in that literal sense, that's what I hope to be. I say "hope" because 1) I have trouble wearing a cross necklace- partially because of shame I have (the same kind of shame that makes me too embarassed to pray when I eat alone in the dining hall, since I don't want people to think that messed up, fearful, asocial me is what Christians are). I know my selfishness and the terrible things I do and think, and I don't want to drive people away from God with my coldness, which oftentimes is really just fear. Oh, so much fear of man. Like I said in an earlier post, I'm so intimidated by greatness of worldly standards (and also spiritual standards)- looks, intelligence, charisma, athleticism, all of that.

A good friend pointed out, though, "well, what do you think a Christian is 'supposed' to be like?" The answer is not someone perfect, or someone who pretends to be.

2nd Corintians 12: 9-10 >>
9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

Praise God for my weaknesses, that he may work in them to show others his mercy and grace, that I may remember my utter dependence on Him, that I may grow over time to be more like my Savior until that glorious day I finally see him as He is. (1st Cor 13:12>> Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.)

The second set:

I have two regular metal tags, which are normally to ID a person.
On one, I have all the ID I need. It's adapted from the FCA creed (see July 1st post).

I AM A CHRISTIAN
FIRST & LAST
CREATED IN HIS
LIKENESS FOR
HIS GLORY

The second one is to remind me of truths I often forget (especially when the Accuser gets to me) and of things I hope to do and of the truths I should be equipped with to fight the good fight. Check them out some time. They're great. Maybe one day I'll memorize them all.

MISSION:
PSALM 139
EPH 6:10-20
PHILIPPIANS
ROMANS 8

No comments: