Pages

Monday, August 27, 2007

GEAR GUIDE: Nalgene


First, I'd like to spread awareness about the Bottled Water Problem:
- It takes 1.5 million barrels a year just to make the plastic water bottles.
- And then even more to transport the water that it carries.
- Then there's the problem of all the trash from discarded waterbottles and the extra energy required for the recycling process, if we're that lucky.
- Save the environment, and save your pocketbook by going Nalgene.
- The little bottled waters hold so little anyways.
- We're fortunate enough to be able to get free, clean water from the tap, without having to kill the environment at the same time.
Back to the gear review: This guy's are pretty self-explanatory and well known everywhere, so I'm just going to give my Nalgene some lovin' here.

At home, I use a knock-off 1L blue-green, Rocky College Nalgene. It's a good thing it's big, since I've been drinking 2 gallons/day this summer. I fill it up so often and down it quickly. I carry it with me in my purse when I go out, and I bring it to church, even.

At school, I use a knock-off 1L orange Rocky Nalgene. It's tougher to bring around at school, since I don't drink as much there, and my orange Camelbak's kind of small. I just use that one in my room. I love water fountains near my room. 101 last year was really sweet, with nice access to the water fountain and the bathroom (the two go hand in hand). To carry around campus, I've kind of long-term borrowed (commandeered) a friend's mini-0.5L Nalgene, though, and that fits in the front mesh pocket pretty nicely. Water in Pton tastes nasty, but it's water. Hopefully, I'm not getting high concentrations of mystery toxins by drinking as much as I do.

I went biking to the gym once and dropped my blue-green Nalgene while it was full. It made a huge noise, since it was heavy. It got couple short but sorta-deep scratches, but other than that, it's doing great. Also, I once got mad while talking to my dad and started ripping at the plastic lid attachment chord of the Nalgene. The loop around the lid just got stretched to the point that it popped off, but I was able to pop it back on and has had no trouble staying on. It's very durable, I was glad to see.

Haha, nobody probably cares about the details of my Nalgenes. Oh, but I like them, and it's kind of late, so I'm just telling Nalgene stories.

Oh, it gets cloudy on the inside without you realizing it, so wash it every now and then, even if you're just refilling with water. You'll get around to washing it, and it'll look so different when it's clear that you hardly recognize it. True story.

No comments: