Pages

Wednesday, October 3, 2007

FAITH: Whosoever, Whosoever

Last night at Kindred Spirit practice, TT, a newbie, did an incredible job with the solo improv of God So Loved. One part that stuck out in my mind last night was when she went through "God so loved the world/ that He gave his one and only son/ that whosoever believes in him/ should not perish but have everlasting life," she then did a cool tune, repeating "whosoever, whosoever." That whosoever part had new meaning. I used to struggle with doubts about whether God would want me, as unfaithful as I am, as often and as blatantly as I commit sins. I know my own heart, and I see the darker motives that others don't.

But the message of the gospel is that whosoever believes in him shall be saved. It's not about how "good" we are, because none of us are good. By our works, we are undone. No amount of good works could ever make up for even a single sin. But by faith we are saved.

Conincidentally, the Junior Girls' Bible Study's verse of the week is Romans 1:16-17>> "I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. For in the gospel a righteousness from God is revealed, a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: "the righteous will live by faith." We can stand righteous before God because of Jesus's sinless life, death for our sins, and ressurection from the dead. Who am I to think that anything [bad] I can do can be more powerful than his works? The free gift of grace is for all.

No comments: