Pages

Sunday, June 20, 2010

Jun 19

FIT:
Lots of catchup sleep today. Slept 1-10am, then another 4 hour nap later. Body's okay, so I went for a run. `Kept it short, though, because things weren't smooth enough to go far without risk. Wore n3's w/ arches. After the nap, ate asstd low glycemic carbs, but I needed a shot blok to pick me up.

3.1 in 23:52, 7:42 ave. 1 degree treadmill, 80 degrees. Started slow but picked it up after the first mile significantly. Interestingly, I didn't feel too much of a difference between the paces. Pushing the speed up button didn't seem to make a noticeable difference. Maybe I should just try speeding up even if it feels like a decent pace, until just before it becomes uncomfortable, next time. Splits> 15:50 (first mi a lot slower than the second), 7:24, 0:37 for 0.1. I hope it's just the heat.

Later on, I felt ready for more right then, at least cardiovascularly. Hopefully, I'll still feel up for it tomorrow. My TA's been ever so slightly noticeable the last couple of days, so I need to ice to keep the swelling at bay.

I had been looking for this in my books for a while, but I should've just googled this...
From Jeff Galloway:

Adjusting Race Pace for Heat: Estimated temperature at finish – Slower than goal pace – 8 min mile becomes…
55-60 degrees – 1% – 8:05
60-65 degrees – 3% – 8:15
65-70 degrees – 5% – 8:25
70-75 degrees – 7% – 8:35
75-80 degrees – 12% – 8:58
80-85 degrees – 20% – 9:35
Above 85 degrees – Forget it… run for fun

This is diffiult math... uh...

So going from a 7:42/mi = 462s/mi... and that's 12... or 20% over what it actually is. That's a huge difference. Great... Guess I'll have to plot it. Now... how to interpret those numbers... for 80-85, it seems most reasonable that 82.5 is 20%, so maybe I can just call 81 degrees 18%, and I can avoid plotting. So 392s/mi. That's about a 6:32. For reals... no way. My best possible pace is 6:45, if I ran a perfect 5K. If he put the % as the max negative effect for the category, then I'm maybe 13%, in which case the adjusted pace is 6:49... more likely, though still probably too fast. I wonder if heat acclimatization was built into that, or if it really has an effect. If you're part of the Central Governor Theory school, it does. I guess if your body starts sweating more, then it would help, too, and you don't have to believe in CGT to accept that.

I guess the conclusion is that I shouldn't feel bad.

No comments: