Pages

Monday, June 14, 2010

Jun 14

FIT:
A new treadmill has arrived! It looks much bigger and sturdier than the previous one. We'll see how well it stands up to heavy use. It's wide and doesn't jiggle like the old one did. It came just in time to save me from a nasty hot summer. I had a week of acclimatiztion and was just beginning to get used to the feeling of stepping out into and running through a warm, moist blanket. It's not all for nothing, though, since it seem like they turn up the temps in the fitness room during the summer to save on energy costs - 81 degrees. It was about 71 during the winter. It made me feel better to see that, since I had run kind of slowly. Good to see that part of it was due to heat.

To take advantage of flat ground (vs. trail-like grass), and to sub for the bike itervals I had been planning on doing to give my legs a break (b/c my rt butt was tight today... piriformis, I think), I did an interval workout. Opposite of my original intent, but I was feeling pretty good when I excitedly ran back home to put on running shoes when I saw the nice new treadmill.

The workout: 7.5mph for 1 mi, 7.0mph for 0.5mi, 9.0mph for 0.5mi, 2 x [7.5mph for 0.25mi, 9.0mph for 0.25mi], 7.5mph for 0.1mi. That's 3.1 in 23:49, 7:41 ave, on a 1-degree treadmill (maybe for intervals, one should switch to 0 degrees]. After a bathroom break, ran 2.0 in 16:57, 8:29 ave, mostly just to get in some miles. Rt butt was screwing with my stride during the 2.0, but the inflammation should die down. Nothing too serious so far.

No comments: