Pages

Friday, January 11, 2008

FAITH: Spud






Spud is my new friend.

When I completely immersed Spud in water, and then I filled his vase so that he could drink from it daily, a thought came to me. Spud could be a good reminder of how, having been saved, a Christian must drink daily from the Word, if she is to continue growing. Otherwise, she will dry out.

I'm not too much of a "New Year's Resolution" person. I don't remember whether I've ever had resolutions. I think one year I read the Bible. Other than that, not really. But one thing I do want to do this year is read the Bible more (sadly, "at all" would be more appropriate), and memorize scripture more, and not in a going-through-the-motions way.

Spud's water jug says "Everyone who drinks this water will be thirsty again, but whoever drinks the water I give him will never thirst. Indeed, the water I give him will become in him a spring of water welling up to eternal life" (John 4:13-14).

Spud's little. Even when he's full-grown, he's barely going to be a plant. Maybe one day, JL will think me responsible enough to take care of a real plant, haha. Another verse that comes to mind is "Whoever can be trusted with very little can also be trusted with much" (Luke 16:10a). If I can't do a thing like listen to God for just 10 minutes out of a day filled with so many less important things (in fact, they're all less important), how can I take seriously my "desire" to work in ministry?

Spud will be a daily reminder of how I need to drink from God's Word, and hopefully, I will grow with Spud this year.