Thursday, July 1, 2010

Jul 1

Blaaaaaah. A blah day, and even running didn't help that much. But it's okay.

Was kind of swollen today, and after waking from a needed hour nap, I iced, to try to get inflammation under control before a run. It worked until mile 5ish, when my tibialis anterior got numb, for the first time in about a month. Not worried at this point, though. I'll try to ice more, and stretching... no promises, but I'm generally doing better, and I'll try to keep it up.

6.0 in 48:39, 8:07 pace... pretty good. 1 degree tread in 81 degree temps, plus whatever humidity adds. Interestingly, it felt cooler, even though the thermo....meter says the same thing as it usually does. Acclimatization? Some other factor, like humidity? It rained last night, so if anything, I guess humidity would be higher. No troubles breathing this time.

I used my shoulders to drive motion a lot more today, and it greatly reduced the effort for my legs. It required a lot more energy, it felt like, but it got distributed to parts of my body that were more rested. I think it enabled me to naturally move my hips more, which usually reduces the onset of leg issues. I don't know why I shifted to that strategy today. Maybe my core has gotten stronger recently? I guess I had been doing intervals in the past couple of weeks, which usually works your upper body a surprising amount, since you have to pump. Yeah, I guess that was it. Good, though. My legs need all the help they can get.

Splits> 8:25, 8:18, 8:15, (25:48 5k), 8:06, 8:06, 7:26. Like I mentioned earlier, my TA got numb about 1.5 mile before the end of the run, but I was feeling decent otherwise and kept going. I really ramped up the speed, and I wanted to stop it before, to minimize risk and give in to the oncoming fatigue, but fighting through the tiredness was good. I didn't push it through to a 10k, but I continued on past when I had thoughts of quitting. Nothing too risky, and only a mile through numbness. Oooh, just went numb again just now... I should re-ice.

Poured my 1/5 concentrated Cytomax into a standard disposable bottled water bottle today, so that I'd be able to drink it by squeezing the bottle. It barely had any concentration, but it was cool from the fridge and helped me get through.

No comments: