Pages

Saturday, July 3, 2010

Jul 3

FIT:
Yesterday, my left upper front TA was in teeth-gritting pain for a lot of the day. It was kind of strange, since it was mostly surface-level pain, and it would throb on and off, even if I wasn't putting any weight on my legs. Thankfully, it only lasted the day, ad I was better today. I iced a bit to help things along in the morning, especially because I thought that there may be a 2.2mi race in my subdivision. There was no race this year, but after lots of sleeping today, I was up for attempting an evening run. My legs were still kind of sloggy (completely made up word, meaning a bit swollen/damaged and generally somewhat sapped of energy), but I went out, with my dad following leisurely on a bike.

I ended up just doing 2.2 mi, since it was sunset, and it the footing in the dark on the cambered grass would've een treacherous for a second lap. I felt so good, though, because it ws surprisingly cool outside, the coolest run I've done in a while. 75 degrees without sun felt very cool. Imagine how it'll be come winter. Since I've been on the treadmill so much lately, my stabilizers haven't gotten much work, so they had a rough time handling the cambered grass. 2.2 was okay, though, and much more of that was asphalt than usual. Oh yeah, I also wore my Trance 8's and Oxysox which helped with the speed.

2.2 in 16:26, 7:28/mi... okay, not great, but it felt fast, maybe compared to the going nowhere you feel when you're on a treadmill.

Afterwards, since I didn't get my full intended workout, I went to the gym for elliptical time. I had wanted to do a stair-stepper, since I figured my quads are underdeveloped and need some strengthening, especially because I hadn't done plyo-like CD's in a while. But the old stair stepper was gone, so I used the elliptical instead - still good, because usually, I only have treadmill access.

40 min at Level 10, 3.7 "mi", about 85% maxHR. Ths machine was like the first that had an HRM that worked despite all of the sweat. I'm not exactly sure what muscles were being used. I didn't use arms, just held fixed handles and worked my legs. It was very low impact, and my knees were slightly bent the whole time. In any case, it provided some good cario work, and I felt so energized afterwards. My right TA went numb about 60% into it, and I'm not sure why. I guess there was some pushoff from my toes... like I said, I'm not sure exactly what muscles were being worked, since the range of motion was kind of limited. Mentioned this way back, but in the Rochester Holiday Inn by the airport, the machine allowed you to set stride length! It was awesome, and such a needed function. That was the first time I saw it.

No comments: