Pages

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Apr 1

FIT:
Run> 5.0 in 39:45, 7:57 ave. New 3's. Rt leg misaligned, had to be careful for last 2-3 mi. Did lots of form changes, didn't seem to help. Multi parts of rt knee (mostly top and IT band but even medial) yoinked, flexor and a bit of butt, too. Would've liked to do 7, but it got pretty bad. For a while, though, things were otherwise cruising. Kinda had the sensation that I was just doing walking effort, yet with the extraneous rumbling/vibrations of the somewhat brokeny treadmill, it seemed like I was just riding in a tank or something at a good speed. That kind of ended as my body couldn't handle much more of the tweaking attempts and my rt leg was tiring. The best seemed to be keeping range of motion minimal, and keeping the landing right under my center of gravity, both laterally and front/back. Anyway, I still wanted more, and a couple days ago, I was craving a swim, so I went back to my apt to change. Since my body was still hot immediately after the run, the water seemed okay temp-wise.

Swim> By the time I was back out in my swim suit, I had cooled down, and the water felt a lot colder, like the usual ice bath temps, so I just soaked my feet in the pool for a while. I thought I'd have to just give it up. I went in more and more gradually, til most of my legs were in. It felt okay once they were in and used to it. Finally, I decided that I would just go for it. That second or two when I was going in, I figured it'd feel like 10s because it would be so shocking. I was just making it more difficult by delaying because I was losing valuable body heat as I ice bathed my legs. Finally, I figured that I'd go for it. If it lasted only a lap, at least I tried, and just that would be a story to tell. Things seemed okay, and even though it was cold, it didn't seem any colder than some swims I did in the fall. It felt good to swim again. My legs were pretty good, better than they were in the summer/fall when I was a lot more injured. During my third set of free/breast (1 set = 0.13 mi), my knees started getting strained, especially with the adduction of the frog kick. And I started getting pretty cold then. I guess the water temps were finally bringing my body temp to a tipping point of discomfort. So I finished up the third set, at around 21 min. I took a long, hot shower after that.

Unfortunately, somehow, my "water resistant to 100m" ironman watch broke. It's really strange. Oh well. Maybe drying time will bring it back to life. So no splits on the run and swim, but it was a good night. Yeah, adventure.

No comments: