Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Feb 3

FIT:
Butt was hurting today again, and my knees were poundy, like they're missing some cartilage - puts me in a less good mood, usually. But don't let circumstance be my god - I should try to think of that more, as hard as it is.

If I had skipped today, it would've been three runless days, and last week, I pushed it a bit, going on 4 runs rather than the usual three. That probably meant that this week would be spent in some recovery. Decided to try anyway, and figuring that my body wouldn't last for long, I decided to try to make it a short but intense run. Started at an 8:00 pace and ramped it up from there.

3.1 in 22:00, a 7:05 pace. Pretty good. Wasn't 100% dying at the end, just 95%, so still had a little left, which is good. 3 flies by so quickly, so you can afford to pick it up, and if it's endurable, crank it up some more, because it'll be over before you know it. Wore my Progrid Guide for its cushioning - too much cushioning for the long term, but I think it was the best in this case, due to my achey knees. It went well, and those shoes generally feel pretty light. My right leg just doesn't pronate the same way as my stronger left leg. Something's off, but it's manageable at least for these short distances I've been doing. I've gotta fix it, though. Strengthen the abductor, a knowing friend suggests.

I wonder what you're supposed to do when one side of you is weaker than the other. Work them both equally, so that relatively, the weak one is getting worked harder so that it can catch up while the stronger one remains somewhat strong? Or work the weak one extra? I've been using option 1 for forever. I think it makes more sense, but I could be wrong. I guess option 1 is probably the best, if what you're doing is working until failure of form or muscle of the weaker. So that's essentially doing option 2 plus not neglecting the stronger leg. Another question then arises of whether you should work to failure. Maybe something more moderate is better for recovery and is less risky. Just stuff to ponder. I'm impatient, so I go with option 1 til failure.

Um, the run. Afterwards, the usual ice bath, tho I did stay 2, maybe 3x longer than normal - dunno why. Was listening to the podcast this time, but don't remember whether I'd do it in the past. Maybe it was distracting and made the cold more tolerable, or maybe the air or water temps were cooler, or maybe my body was hotter. Fueled w/ an apple and carrot afterwards. Like a horse.

2 days ago:
60 min strength, including PT. 250 crunches/side, billy, 2x35 quad dips on step for the first time, 2:00 plank, 90s 6in, 45 fast pushups, 45/40-25 leg lifts (extra abductors), 30 frogs (although only the last 5 were quality), 50 pillows, 4 3/4 pullups, elastic 30 except adductors were 40. Left adductor elastic torqued my knee some, though I pushed through it (dumb, prob), rt ankle felt a bit tweaked afterwards.

No comments: