Pages

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Feb 10

FIT:
Back in business. Easy 5.0 in 38:56, 7:47 ave. Splits> 8:15, 7:54, 7:52, 7:46, 7:06. Up until the 3, I was just hoping to make it to 3. But somehow, I felt looser at the 3. As I mentioned earlier, the day after my 7.0 trail run preceded by an almost raced 3.1, my lat knees were grinding/burning when I walked, and my left hip was off. The knees were mostly better yesterday and all better today, although there still seems to be a kink in my hip. Not a big issue, though. I wasn't smooth during today's run, but after the 3, I felt loose, and 4 went by so easily, that I bumped up the last mile to a 7:00ish pace (because of the looseness and because there were people waiting for the treadmill). I'm glad I'm not crippled.

Ice bathed a long time afterwards. It's easier when you listen to a podcast while doing it. Stay in for a few minutes, and your legs get numb, and then you don't really feel it anymore, so it doesn't matter. I only go in until a couple of inches above me knee.

3 days ago... 60 min strength including PT. 250 crunches, 2:30 plank, 2:00 6in, 40 pushups, 35/40/30 leg lifts/clam, 15 tridips, 25/25 frog/tad, 55 pillow, 2x40 calf, pt elastic, billy. Knee was bangy sometimes earlier in the day but fine by the time of S at night.

So some guesses about what possibly caused my knee pain...
1. The trail 7.0 2 days earlier
2. The trail 7.0 2 days earlier on top of a raced 3.1 the day before
3. Wore 4's for the trail (thought they were more supportive and more cushioned, but they are older)
4. Strength session day after the 7.0 and the 3.1 was too much (quad dips were a bit painful that night, but didn't think too much of it)

My calves were very stiff and tight on the days my knees were hurting. That's a big clue, but I don't know enough to figure out the connection. The tibialis anterior is on the outside. My lat quads were also somewhat tight, so it could've been some of that, too. Strange that it was the lat and not the medial side, though, since I overpronate.

No comments: