Pages

Thursday, February 4, 2010

CM Half Hype 2 - Pace Group Ponderings

I've only run 1 half before, and since it was my first, and since I hadn't run really in the 6 weeks preceeding it due to a sprained ankle, I had no idea what to expect in terms of time. There were pace bands at the expo, so I took a 2:15 and a 2:00 one. Didn't really use them, though, since I don't think all miles on the course were marked. Plus, my pace varied a lot. I think I went through 10K a lot faster than the second half, since I was used to training at that distance. When I went past, I slowed significantly.

This time, the pace teams I'd be considering are 2:00 and 1:45. Now, I want to run a negative split, or an even split. A realistic goal for me is 1:50-1:55. 1:45 is my reach goal. I think it would be cool to join a pace group. There's comraderie, drafting (hehe), and motivation (didn't realize that there was so much of this before, but I've read some accounts online, and it sounds like pacers are awesome motivators who talk the whole time). It would add to the fun, and maybe add to the overall speed. But I'm kind of stuck in the middle of 2 pace groups. With the 1:45, I could probably hang on in the beginning, but I'd lose them in the last few miles, making a positive split. With 2:00, I'd have to break away in the second half to gain back 5-10 minutes... that's a lot of gaining. So if I want to join a group, I think I'd lean towards 1:45.

I was trying to figure out if there's a way to stagger my start time different from theirs, so that I get a head start... maybe... although that kind of ruins the philosophy behind the wave start, as I'd slow others down. But I'd be able to do the second half with them that way... nah, prob not. Hang with them from the start... maybe they're just what I need to actually be closer to 1:45 than I'd otherwise be, meaning the motivation factor would trump the negative split factor... who knows!

No comments: