Pages

Saturday, May 8, 2010

May 8

FIT:
Not a great run. Should've biked or rested, but today was the grand opening of the continuous 13-mi version of the Swamp Rabbit trail. At designated entrances, people in bunny ears were giving away foam bunny ears and raffle tickets, so I wanted to enjoy this unique experience and collect a very reasonable amount of tickets.

I ended up going to 3 stops out of the 4 I originally planned... doing the 4th would've added another 2 miles each way, haha. My TA and both sides of my rt knee had issues almost from the start, as if everything wasn't 100% connected in there, but it was bearable. I got my tickets and ran around with bunny ears. Didn't win anything, but it was nice looking at the art festival going on in town at the same time and hearing lots of different music groups perform. It was really well put together, and all of the artists on display/for sale were spectacular.

I wore n3's w/ first-time UA compression socks, which are a lot thinner UA material, compared ot the thick OxySox. They were good, I guess. Hard to tell how good it really is if its goodness is upstaged by unrelated pain. Had a visor, shades, XC singlet, soccer shorts, and the Nathan Shadowpak as well.

5.7 in 49:11, 8:39 ave, 465 Cal. No splits. Walked around in sandals afterwards, a good cool-down and break from arch supports. Some barefootists say that wearing arches weakens already weak arches, and I think they're probably right. But I think I need arches for my work shoes and running shoes anyway. I'll just have to rely on home and out in sandals time (which is pretty much any time I'm not at work or running) to strengthen my arches.

My calves still seem perpetually sore. Or maybe not really. This time it's prob b/ of yesterday's race, where sprinting would do it. I guess I only really notice it if it's there, so I assume that since I notice it when it's there, it's always there... if you know what I mean.

FUEL:
Still low on sleep. In fact, woke up at 5:30am today after going to bed at 1:00am ish. Might've been b/c I needed fuel. I'm at a weight low, excluding HS weight and pre-college insanity. I'm sure to fuel sufficiently and eat throughout the day and avoid being hungry, b/c I know how it messes you up. And my racing's probably better than ever now, 5K-wise (not sprint-wise, and not long distance-wise... and I didn't race 5K's during my peak last year, so I don't know how good I was, but it's prob not far from where I am now for 5K's)), but when you get to a certain point, you're below optimal weight and performance (not to mention mood, health) suffers. So I'll just keep tracking it like you know I will. Haven't tried to lose weight... just a result of the training. I'll just try to give my body what it wants, hopefully.

I've been kind of picky lately, like I'll not want certain foods, most foods in fact, but there's something I want, and I try to find out what that is. Strange. Like certain textures or tastes will pop up. Can't explain it much.

No comments: