Pages

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Mar 12

FIT:
Just got back from a good run.

Earlier today, I went on a bike ride (16 mi) with my family.  It was a nice day, and we cruised on to Furman University, looped around the lake, and came back (with 2 stops).  We have 2 full-sized folding bikes, 1 fun-sized folding bike (which I rode, since it has small wheels), and 1 normal bike, all crammed into our van.  It wasn't exactly a workout, but I enjoy active ways of spending time with people.  I spend enough time sitting at a desk.  Getting together to eat as a way of hanging out... not my style.  Every now and then is fine, but not every time.  I need my blood flowing.

The biking left my lower legs feeling used, since the angles on the kid-sized bike were different from what I'm used to.  I didn't think I could manage a run safely, especially with sore ankles, but having two weeks of super low mileage (7, 8) would be terrible.  So I had to get some in... I felt good enough to try later in the night, so I went, and it was great.  Sometimes, the thing you need to get rid of soreness is working it out.  I feel so good now. 

6.0 in 47:18, 7:53 ave.  I would've gone to 6.2, but the fitness room was closing :(  Ah well, at least I made it to 6.0.  Progression run.  Felt great.  I think my ankles were also sore because of the minimalist A4's that I wore for the first time yesterday.  I wore my newer 1224's (vs. my older 1224s) today, which have much more bulk.  Minimalist running works different connective tissue and muscles than big-heeled running does.  It's good to mix it up to keep everything stronger and ready for action, able to help when called upon in a big race. 

Splits> 8:20, 803, 7:59, (25:10 5k), 7:45, 7:42, 7:26.

I rather enjoy running when my legs are sore and feeling used.  I don't do it often, because usually, I'm scared of risking overtraining, but when I do go with it out of fear of low mileage or if there's just a great running op that I don't wanna miss, the run feels really good.  It makes you stronger, too, since it paves the way for adaptations that you don't usually get. 

No comments: