Pages

Sunday, December 12, 2010

Dec 12

FIT:
Hola from Buenos Aires!  Landed this morning at around 9:30 BA time, 7:30 Eastern.  The long leg of the flight was 10 hrs.  Even before I left the States, during my long run, my tummy felt like it had a mind of its own.  Usually, I have no GI issues, but it's started up.  Maybe it's distance-related?  Dunno.  Nothing else has really changed.  I was theoretically fine during the flight.  I enjoyed some quality snacks in the Crown Room at the airport.  And I kind of like the airplane food.  But it kind of all just sat in my stomach during the flight, like a rock.  I didn't feel hungry appetite-wise in the morning, although I could feel that my body was a little bit in need of food.  Just a little.  Then, I was really hungry by the time we got to the hotel, and since we got to check in early, I was able to hit the free breakfast and loaded up on some good food - 3 kiwis, yerba mate, 2 lite yogurts (which is really like 1 yogurt), and ham.  Had an apple and chocolate later.  Since they eat dinner so late, I was hungry leading up to it, although I lost my appetite a bit by the time we all started gathering to walk to the restaurant.  The salmon was good, along with Malbec and lemoncello (vodka + lemon juice + sugar), and a few fries and a bit of tomato salad. 

The fitness room is on the 14th floor of the Holiday Inn Express and overlooks the port, which is awesome.  The view was pretty sweet early in the day when I visited.  I had to rush to go there after dinner b/c it was closing in an hour and I had to get in my last 4 for the week.  It's not as pretty as night b/c all of the lights in the room kind of make it hard to see anything outside.  It was a nice gym with good equipment and a big TV, though.  I started going at my usual 7.0mph... except it seemed like walking pace.  It took me a while to realize that it was constant and not simply on its way speeding up.  Then, I realized it was probably in metric.  So I sped it up gradually.  That explains what'll be a slower time.

I was limping a little earlier in the day, but by the end of the day, it seemed fine.  Doing some calculations in my head, I figured 6.6km would get me close to 4.0mi.  It was 4.1.

4.1 in 34:40, 8:27 ave.  K splits> 5:31, 5:17, 5:16, 5:15, 5:14 (26:35 5k), 5:06, 2:58 for 0.6.

Immediately afterwards, I found out that the food didn't agree with me... or at least with the running.  I don't know what it was.  During the run, it just felt like the normal discomfort when you run immediately (like 10 min) after dinner.  But apparently, it was more than that.  Maybe the vodka + red wine mix.  I wasn't the least bit dizzy, though.  Maybe the raw tomatoes.  Ah, oh well.  I feel fine now.  At first, when I got back to my room, I couldn't stand to watch the Argentinian food network, which I usually keep it on (and even keep on while I sleep... somehow it's comforting), but it's back on now, ad I feel fine.

Oh, yesterday... or, today.  Wow, it's been a long day.  A nap, a bit of work, shopping for souvenirs and taking pictures/videos, a walk with colleagues, dinner outing.  Plus TV.  I got to watch The Office AND Friends... two of my favorite shows, in English here.  Nice.

Well, it's almost midnight here now, but I'm going to do a bit more prep work for work.  Blah.  Glad I at least got some done earlier today, otherwise the stress would've been building up.  Okay... time to relax, enjoy my big bed, work, and keep an eye on the TV.

No comments: