Pages

Monday, January 4, 2010

Jan 4

FIT:
A satisfying run. 5.7 mi in 43:29 on the treadmill. A 7:38 pace - pretty good! I started w/ 2 miles @ 8:00 pace, then did the last 3.7 @ 7:30 pace.

Form analysis: in the mirror, I looked vertical (no lean, like I usually see when I check myself out [far too often, hahahahahaha - you wouldn't believe it] in storefront mirrors and anything else with a reflection, when I'm running outside). Arms crossed some. I stared straight ahead, since tv usually sucks, and I was too bouncey to read a magazine. I tried to focus on forefoot strikes and high turnover, plus a more butt-kickey motion to stay smooth and lubricated. Unfortunately, though, the treadmill has acquired some issues over break and is now wobbly even at these mild speeds, so I had to stay towards the back right of the maching to minimize wobble, which I think could potentially do serious damage, since it affects the vibrations and impacts that each leg is supposed to absorb differently, and does not mimic real ground running.

It was a nice run, since it was long enough to feel like a run. I think the threshold is around 5 mi for me to get lost in the run. I ended up stopping b/c my right leg had been feeling like Pinocchio - loose and wobbly, not firm like my left leg, and had finally reached a point where I felt I was walking on the threshold of incurring pain. So I risked it another 0.1 mi to see if I could reach 6.2 but decided to stop at 5.7. It was good and decently paced, though. Afterwards, I spent a couple minutes in an ice bath with 14 degree air temps with just a wet sports bra on before I rushed back inside. On my way in, I kept repeating, "thank you, God". Months ago, I would've given anything just to run 3 mi again, and now, I've done 3 5ers in a row, with this last one being pretty easy cardiovascularly.

No comments: