Pages

Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 - Year in Review


FIT:
2009... Started off kicking. Died. Slowly coming back to life.

There are good reasons for hope. 1) The initial rise was like a rocket blasting off. From about 3 months of relative inactivity to 16ers in about 8 weeks. Assuming no permanent damage has been done, a return to prior levels should be possible. 2a) I know more about good form now. Midfoot striking. Short strides, high turnover. 2b) I know more about the importance of strength and flexibility, thanks to AD!

If I can do 13 again, it'll be a victory. I think I'm lacking in endurance now. I have some decent speed, but I can only go so far on speed b/c the tender injured spots will only hold up for so long before breaking down. So if those can heal up, I can build back endurance and be cruising again.

I was glad to finally have a run long enough to actually feel like I was out on a run. To leave the stresses of life behind is one of the reasons I love to run. On campus, it was a delightful retreat whenever academic or social stresses entered in. For the past 6 months, if I was able to run at all, I painstakingly eeked out a couple miles, at each one not sure whether the next step would bring the run to a halt if pain started setting in. So that one run I had at the end of the year on Dec 30 was great.

I ended up with 594.2 mi for the year. 5.8 away... oh man, so close, but I'm happy with that. Surprised, actually, especially considering all the weeks with numbers close to 0. That's 11.4 mi/wk on ave, although the rate for the first 25 weeks was 17.8/wk. I had 441.6 miles in the first half. Almost everything was in the first half. That mileage doesn't include any of the running that happened in frisbee practices and tournaments. Hey - that's farther than the distance from Chas to DC!

My reach goal for 2010 is 1000 miles. That would mean 19.2mi/wk on ave. That would mean stepping up even last year's good half's mileage by a bit. With a more normal sleeping schedule and fewer abberations from normal schedules (like exam periods, vacations [sadly], deadlines, frisbee tournaments), it should be easier in some ways. It'll be harder in that much of it will need to happen on the treadmill, and there's only 1 treadmill for the entire apt complex to share, and it closes at 10pm. Eh, we'll see. Where there's a will, there's a way. 1000 mi would be a bit more than the distance from Chas to Boston. And what a fitting goal... 985.45 miles to Boston.

Oh man, ok... so my goal... a marathon about a year from now that qualifies me for 2012's Boston. I like post winter b/c winter's the best time to train temp-wise. The colder, the better for me (up to 25 degrees). You don't have to worry as much about water, and carrying that water would put extra stress on your joints. Colder also means faster on race day. Not that late Nov in Philly would be warm (sub freezing when I ran the half).

So a doable goal... 750 miles. That would take me a bit farther than Chas to Princeton (726.98 mi). That's 14.4mi/wk. If I run 3x/wk, that'd be less than 5 mi per run. Should be fine once I get back into shape and health.

Let's say I'm in 21:00 5k shape right now, given a perfectly flat course with 45 degree temps. Sub-20... in my dreams. Just playing. Shorter distances do take less time to train for, and as we age, I think we lose speed before endurance, and my strength when you look at the time vs. distance WR curve and time predictor curves is on speed. Um... maybe as I pursue Boston, the 5K will naturally drift towards 20:30.

And mile-wise, I'm happy with the sub-6.

So, the biggest key to meeting the 1000mi goal (and along the way, getting into BQ shape and approaching sub-20) is a decent recovery and staying not injured. That means diligence in stretching and strengthening. I watch too much tv every day - maybe 3 hrs. I usually eat for an hour of that. During the other 2, though, I could stretch. It takes a suprising amount of energy to stretch, especially using the foam roller or elastic band, and usually, you watch tv to totally rest and zone out, but I want to pursue this goal. Stretching is part of the game.

FAITH:
1. I like knowing on Sundays that all over the country (and especially in NJ), there are believers worshipping God, and even though we're far apart, we're together in spirit. We're a family, all thankful for our Savior and good Father.
2. Scripture memory is good. Verses you've memorized will pop up when needed sometimes and can give hope.
3. Dig your heels in, and don't let go.

FUEL:
May be hard to believe, but I'm improving (aka getting less strict).
I eat chicken now, and I'll let some things slide every now and then for special occassions.

No comments: