Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

Jan 30 - p


FIRST SNOW SINCE I'VE MOVED HERE!!!

FIT:
I was excited to have a chance to run out in the snow again, so I woke up early (8am) to hit the most snow (and to avoid any who may complain about someone running on their golf course). I overdressed - it's supposed to be "feels like 16," but the base layer, tech long sleeve shirt, and fleece on top was too much. The leggings and soccer warmups on the bottom were fine. Gloves were necessary, but after I got going by breathing through the buff, the buff got too hot. For shoes, I wore the 3's w/ stab, just because I didn't want to get newer shoes dirty. I debated between a beanie for warmth and a visor for snow blockage, and the visor won.

As for gear, I wore my Garmin, since I knew I'd be paving my own paths on the golfcourse, making even Mapmyrun.com not as helpful. I also drew out a map of the course I expected to take (which I pre-planned with mapmyrun) and put it in a UA play armband, something that I guess QB's usually wear to remember the plays during football. I bought it because I figured it may be good to have track workouts on there, so that I wouldn't have to stop all the time to pick up or pull out a sheet of paper - I could just look at my arm instead. It worked well, especially because the plastic cover blocked frozen rain/snow that would've otherwise soaked a bare sheet of paper.

It was slow going on the snowy roads. I've forgotten how slow it goes. Energy and time is wasted as the snow slowly absorbs your landing (which is good for the joints, on the bright side), and you slip back a bit when you try to push forward. With that said, it gives you a good workout. after 35:50, I had only gone 3.5 miles, a 10:14 pace - phew! Part of the slowness came from the many steep hills I encountered - it was a golf course, after all, and my city isn't that flat. My heart was working hard, and my body got tired - a good part of that may be a lack of good sleep lately, and some dehydration - woke up very thirsty and didn't drink much. Pre-run fuel was Total cereal and granola. I stopped often to take pictures. Afterwards, I thought about going on a walk, but my joints were groaning, so I gave it up and went home to eat and take a hot shower. I can feel that my body worked hard - it's tired. So much work, so little mileage, though. Oh well. I just have to believe that even though my numbers haven't been particularly good lately, I'm building up strength and endurance that'll show up later, maybe when I'm less tired.

No comments: