Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Gait Analysis: Barefoot vs. Shoed

SUPER EXCITING EXPERIMENTING!!!

PART 1: FOOTSTRIKE
For these experiments, I tried 1. The Saucony Progrid (motion control) with Stability orthotics, 2. Asics Gel Evolution 3's (stability) with no inserts, and 3. barefoot. I'd start with some 8:30/mi running and then ramp it up to 7:00/mi. I then replayed the video in slow-mo and captured interesting pics.

Results: Things looked about the same between the Evol's and the Progrid. Most of the time, there was an obvious heelstrike. I think it's almost impossible to do much of a forefoot strike in shoes. Note the dorsiflexion, which puts strain on the tibialis anterior. If you look at my shins, you'll see prominent tibialis anteriors, so I believe it. It almost hurts to look at that picture. Just think of all the force going directly up the leg. POUND.

Now, imagine the form of the red line, except with even more overstriding. That would create such a braking effect. So can we find form that is not only easier on your body but also makes you faster?.....


YES!!! Look at the Barefoot Gait. The knee is bent rather than straight, allowing some muscles in the thigh to absorb some of the shock, rather than sending it through the knee. The plantarflexed foot also allows the arch and muscles in the lower leg to absorb shock. This looks like good running. The forefoot and toes are ready to push off again, since they're positioned directly under the body, rather than overstriding (and braking).

Sweet.

PART 2: PRONATION

In this experiment, I examined my pronation running in 1. Saucony Progrids, and 2. Barefoot.
Result: It's a pretty sad picture in both shoes and barefoot. Things are more obviously awry with shoes, though. That angle, the inward roll of the shoe, just makes my eyes hurt. Poor body. And these are MOTION CONTROL SHOES WITH STABILITY ORTHOTICS!!!

Things only look somewhat better barefoot. I guess pronation may be helped by the forefoot strike, since it's not the usual outer heel to inside ball of foot line being traveled, but something more like inside ball of foot then rocking back to the heel ever so slightly then pushoff from the toes again. I haven't studied the mechanics of barefoot running, and this is the first time I've ever tried it intentionally, so that's just my guess.

Something else to note is that my right foot seems to be worse than my left foot. I don't know... it's hard to tell, but something about the right leg looks worse... like it's turned out more or something.

// Post-experiment results: The front of that big knob on my ankles were strained by the effort. In addition to the experiment, I practiced barefoot running for 0.5 mi in preparation for a shift to barefoot running (perhaps)... a slow shift - don't worry. My calves are fine - they're of a decent size proportionally, I think (whereas my quads are smaller than they should be). Also so minor startups of blisters. Hurts to walk because of the strained ankle, but it's not a worrisome thing. I really like it so far. Barefoot running felt like prancing compared to regular running.

/// Even longer-term results: I ended up hurting a lot in the things that connect the ankle to muscles on the outside of the shins for the few weeks the followed the single half-mile run. If I were to shift to bf running, it would have to be incredibly slowly, since a single short, barely-a-run could do so much damage. So I think that overall, the best strategy may be in the middle: forefoot strike in shoes. You'll get about half of the anatomical benefits from barefoot running (a rough estimate from someone who doesn't know much at all about physiology - the use of quads and calves and your foot in dissipating the forces with the bent knee and plantarflexed ankle, but not the natural pronation of going barefoot, or the use of toes or the building of arches), but you also get the cushioning and protection of shoes. The more bf you can handle, the better, but I think forefoot is what's feasible for me at this point.

No comments: