Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

GEAR GUIDE: Saucony Fastwitch

WHY GO LIGHT:

I want to be fast, and for every lb trimmed, you speed up by 2s/mi. Unfortunately, over a 5k, that's only 6s. I guess if you have a lot to lose, you can quickly gain time by trimming 5lbs. I wonder whether that rule of thumb holds true for all speeds. Over 26 mi, though, it's a minute. Still not that much if you're talking just 1lb... a minute out of 3:40:00 isn't much, but when you think you're right on the border of a BQ, even a few seconds are precious.

Anyway, as I near the best shape of my life and try to enjoy my prime and not waste an opportunity, I want to see what I can do. Using shoes with less support can be risky for overpronators, at least according to the conventional wisdom that is being challenged nowadays by the minimalist and barefoot movements. So I can run a little faster but at greater risk. XC flats give very little cushioning and make lateral rolling easy (= less support), but I found some sweet lightweight shoes with a medial post, though... the Saucony Fastwitch.



FEATURES:

The Good:

Cool colors - I'm a fan of fluorescent colors. Color should be the least of one's concerns, but can't help it. It looks fast and serious.

Vents along the shoe sole... so don't step in puddles, but for dry road races, you'll enjoy all the benefits of cooling, plus reduced shoe weight.

Medial post - for ovrpronators like me.

The Bad:

Much like the Saucony Progrid Guide (it feels very much like it, besides the reduced weight), there's not much heel support, so it's easy to roll inwards/pronate, even when just standing.

MY THOUGHTS ON USING IT:

These guys feel sooo light. I weighed my Asics Gel Evolution 3 with SofSol stability arches as 1.3lbs, whereas the Fastwitch was 0.75lbs. Not even the 6s 5K boost I'm looking for, but they feel fast (and the mental effect is huge in running).

Since lighter shoes have shorter lifespans, I wanted to use these guys sparingly. I originally thought that I could only use them in 5K's, since any longer distance my legs may not be able to handle. And even then, only the 5K's that count the most, where I have the potential to PR. AKA not in the summer, where there's little chance of a PR. Don't waste shoe mileage and injury risk on a summer 5K. Come fall and winter, though, bring it. Watch me fly.

But I decided to break them out today, for a few reasons.

1. You shouldn't try something for the first time in a race. What if I discovered mid-run during a winter 5K where I'm in potential PR shape, that the shoe doesn't fit right? Bad news.

2. It's good to do speedwork in light shoes, since they get you higher leg turnover, which is the goal of speedwork.

3. I needed a reward for working hard... at work.

4. Shoes need breaking in.

5. If I am to run 5K's or potentially 10K's in these, and if in the future I want to move towards more minimalist shoes, my legs (especially the calves, achilles, ankles) need to be strong enough to handle it. Easing into it is the best way to go, to give the body time to adapt and strengthen without breaking.

So after that treadmill speedwork, they still look bright and new, and they seemed to work pretty well. Looking forward to my first race in them! Still don't know if I'll wait for the cold 5K's, or if I'll race in them even in the summer 5K's.

No comments: