Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Aug 4

Soooo much work. Sooooo weary. No end in sight. Even during vacation, there's so much I need to do.

FIT:
Yesterday, the day after my LR and Bible Study night, I needed the recovery time from the 8.0. My inner left shin had been stinging some... mostly suface pain. Was a little bit wondering about wheter it was a tibial stress fracture, but it was better by the evening, and rubbing it/trying to irritate it didn't seem to make it any worse. Anyway, I was mostly recovered within 24 hours. Today, the workday did away with the remaining stiffness/sluggishness.

Since I was so tired of working, I kept up my spirits by planning to do my first test run of the Saucony Fast Twitch. In fact, I think I'll do a full-blown gear guide. Haha, real pressing, work must be, huh? Just like at school, my extracirriculars are for my sanity.

Anyway, I've been reading Racing Weight by Matt Fitzgerald in the few lunch breaks I get nowadays. It's a great book, and... maybe it's not from that that I got this, or at least not that alone. Anyway, there's something really beneficial in weekly speedwork, so I'm going to try to get it in at least every 1.5 weeks. I did the 5K about a week ago, and a week before that, a rather speedy 3.3. So it's time again. I typically have a lot of pep stored up in my legs after a long run anyway.

So I got to test drive the FastTwitch and get in some speedwork. See the Gear Guide for my thoughts on the shoe, but as far as my workout goes, I was kind of conservative, given the recent stress from the LR, the fact that I don't do speedwork often and might break myself if I did too much too soon, and that this was a new and less supportive shoe. So a 3.1 total distance including interval periods was just about right. It ended up feeling like nothing afterward, but the latter 2/3 running intervals were no walk in the park.

3.1 in 23:03, 7:26. Not nearly as fast as race pace, but there was record heat in the gym - 84 degrees. I did 0.5 off (7.0-7.5mph), 0.5 on (9.0mph). Splits> 4:14, 3:19, 3:56, 3:19, 4:04, 3:19, 0:48. The 0.5 on periods felt longer and longer wih each one. My hips were having some minor issues... no proper warmup, I guess. But overall, I'm happy. Speedy enough.

No comments: