Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Oct 17-18

Since there's no way I could do a LR here at altitude, I targeted a long bike session... maybe 1:30ish, about the same as a HM.  I started off, trying to give a steadily pressing effort.  The bike was set at level 11, with pretty fast turnover.  It was hard enough that I considered stopping after 30 minutes.  By the time I got to 45 minutes, though, I was so close to an hour that I could stick through it to that mark, but not farther.  This bike seemed to be tilted to the right, which may have exacerbated my usual right butt/leg issues that I get when I use the recumbent bike back at my apartment complex's fitness room.  It only started at the usual 45 min mark, though, so it could be tolerated for a little while.  I drank a bottle of cold water before the session, so I only needed 3 swigs during the bike, mostly for energy or a pick-me-up. 

When I woke up that morning at 5:30am after 5 hours of sleep, I briefly considered going back to sleep because I'd need all the mental energy I could muster to take on the workday, but I knew that since it would be a stressful day, it was more important than ever for me to work out. 

It did end up being a busy day.  Like I Love Lucy trying to tackle all of the chocolates coming down the line.  But I made it through, by God's grace, like always.  My tummy did have issues during the afernoon and evening, but I think it may be better now as I write this?  At least I can drink water without having to rush the the bathroom immediately afterwards, unlike after my first trip to Mexico....  Man... the doc's bill after insurance last time was about $350, and all I really got was 2L of IV fluid... 2L of water... for $350.  The most expensive water I've ever had, haha.  But I did get some blood tests and other tests done, and peace of mind that there was nothing wrong with me other than the syptoms.

I slept 3.5 hours last night because I had to wake up to work some more.  So much work.  While I was working, I kept considering putting on running clothes and just checking the gym to see if it happened to be open despite the posted hours.  But I didn't, and I tried to use the treat of getting to run at 6am as an incentive to put my nose to the grindstone until then.  Anyway, I did a good bit and had time for a 20 minute nap before the fitness room would open.  Oh man, when my alarm started blaring, I was so groggy and ready to go back to sleep.  But I knew there would be no time to run later today, so I decided to just force myself and to go. 

My plan was to do a hill workout, since that worked out really well on the last trip.  It provided some variety, and it didn't feel that much harder than the 1 degree run.  I set it to level 10, which gave up to 7.8% iclines at its peak. 

5k was enough for me.  It did provide nice variety.  During inclines, you're getting used to the shock of the effort, and during lower inclines, you're savoring the relative ease.  The treadmill stayed for 30s at each incline, which was low enough to keep the hard parts doable.

3.1 in 27:31, 8:53/mi. 
Splits don't mean much because of the varying incline, but here they are...
K Splits> 5:36, 5:30, 10:57 for 2 (5:28 ave), 5:27.

No comments: