Pages

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Jun 28

FIT:
Thankful just to be able to run.  My PT buddy diagnosed my left heel issue as plantar fasciitis, which can last for years in certain cases.  It seems to be manageable for now.  I can still run on it, and it feels mostly normal sometimes.  Never had this issue before, at least that I can remember.  I'm supposed to stretch my achilles (feels good to do the wall stretch), do cross-frictional massage, and do a towel stretch to dorsiflex.

The thing that's bugging me a bit more is my right ankle, which I rolled 2 days ago on my last run.  The left outside ligament or tendon is tender.  I'm compensating for the issue on one foot by modifying my gait on the other foot.  I think the legs' respective issues are screwing each other up even more, so I tighten up.  My right lower back got tight on my run today.  I feel mostly fine, though.

I don't regret running today.  I needed it for mental health, and I felt like my body was ready for it. Crazy couple of weeks work hour-wise.  Will be like this definitely through the end of the week, and maybe through the end of October, haha.  That's my life.  I always say "it'll get better after X", where X is usually a month half a year away, but by the time I get there, there are new projects, and X just keeps getting pushed out. 

4.5 in 37:06, 8:08/mi, 376 Cal.  Not bad.  I felt like I was slow, from the way the muscles that lift the knees were feeling.  They were a little sore or tired or something, so I was surprised each time I looked at my splits and saw a decent time.

Splits> 6:36, 6:19, 6:19, 6:06, 6:03, 5:40

Probably need to stretch out to make sure I don't stay tight anywhere, which would screw me up even more.

FUN:
I'm building a dream playlist for running.  Here's what I have so far...
Chariots of Fire Theme (i've run to this as the red sun was setting.  i've also run to this [by singing it] on a group run with my ultimate frisbee team, which was also very cool)
Fanfare for the Common Man by Aaron Copland (good for the morning of a marathon when it's still dark outside or as the sun's rising, because it's epic and solemn and glorious)
Tonight's Gonna Be a Good Night by the Black Eyed Peas (good pump-up song at the beginning of a race)
Remember the Name by Fort Minor (good for the last few miles of a hard effort)
Olympic Fanfare by the Boston Pops Orchestra (good for when you're driving to or from the race)

No comments: