Pages

Saturday, January 5, 2013

2012 Year-In-Review

HIGHLIGHTS

1. 4 Continents (North America - Philly & DC, South America - Brazil & Argentina & Paraguay, Asia - Shanghai, Europe - London). Favorite city: London.  So much history and culture; so much to see and do.  Easy to get around on the Tube.  Pre-olympics excitement!

(Buckingham Palace)

2. Experiencing the Philadelphia Marathon with some of my Closest Friends

3. Iguazu Falls - Re-visiting Niagara Falls had been on my lifetime bucket list.  I went to Niagara when I was little, and I've always wanted to go back.  Iguazu was a good substitute.


4. Pisgah National Forest Trail Run - My first adventurous training run.  I had done a trail half marathon before, and I ran a bit on a trail before, but this was the first intentional trail run.  It was super-exiciting, experiencing carrying a hand-held, figuring out the best ways for traversing the terrain, and dealing with a bee sting.


5. 4 Lifetime PRs (Marathon - in Albany in 3:37:49 in March, Half Marathon - in iRecycle in 1:35:43 in August, 10K - in Run2Overcome in 45:54 in August, 8K - in TROAD in 35:03 in September, Mile - in Mary Black in 5:48 in May).  Most dramatic improvement in my mile, which had previously been at 5:59.  Phew!!!  I didn't realize how many there were this year.  The only distance where I didn't PR - the 5K.


6. Winnings - Albany Marathon gym bag, $175 in cash, and the TROAD.  Proudest of the gym bag.  Most freaked out by the TROAD.


7. Hunger Games Hysteria - Visiting Dupont Forest where some filiming was done, watching the movie with my sister, buying a bow & arrow, going to the midnight DVD release and getting an autographed card, sewing my own training shirt... I was obsessed.  I don't know why that story resonated with me so much. 


8. Hanging out with a Dog - Babysat Stella a few times.  We went hiking together, she pooed on my carpet, I fed her obsession with food, and I tried to teach her to read running books.


9. Froyo

10. Shows: Elementary, Modern Family, Biggest Loser, The Office, Amazing Race

11. Grace Church - Awesome sermons

12. New Dish in my rotation: Lentils cooked in chicken broth, mixed with sauteed onions and garlic, with loads of black pepper.

~/~/~

RUNNING STATS

Finally met my goal of running 1,000 miles in a single year!!!  Exceeded it by a lot, actually.  It helped that I crammed 2 marathons in this year, and that my second marathon training plan was higher volume than usual.    I did 1094.0 mi this year.  On Dec 31, I considered doing an extra 6 miler, just to make it an even 1,100.  I could've done it, but it wasn't worth the extra trouble. 

I ran 6 days, 7 hours, 8 minutes, and 19 seconds this year.  Therefore, the average pace of my runs was 8:17/mi.  On average, I ran 3 miles per day, or 24 minutes and 52 seconds.

I did an additional 2 days, 13 hours, 4 minutes, and 15s of cross-training.  That's about 10 minutes per day.  So total, I exercised for just under 35 min per day, on average.

Here's my weekly mileage:

Yellow - Marathon week
Pink - Half Marathon week
Orange - 8-10K week
Green - 5K week
Light Blue - Mile week

My Shoe Rotation:



Favorite shoes this year are highlighted in different colors.  Based on the average distance per run on the shoe and my preferred surface type for that shoe, you can get a feel for when I like to use each model.  It looks like I have a lot of shoes in the rotation, but some of them are duds that I ended up not liking much (Newtons and the New Balance 858), or they may be very specialized shoes that I don't get to use often (track spikes, racing flats).


Ok, I think that's good for now.  In summary, it's been a good year.

No comments: