Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2009

FAITH: Priorities

I've been so concerned about my deteriorating physical health (too injured to run, turned to biking and overdid that, too, so too injured to bike or run). The more I got injured, the more consumed I was about it - I spend my free time reading about it. At the same time, my spiritual health's been taking a nosedive, but I didn't give it a thought. Where were my priorities? As bad as my physical health has been, my spiritual health has been struggling more. I've not been reading or even praying, and I hadn't had fellowship. I had no desire to, and I felt God might be angry and wouldn't blame him at all for it.

A friend encouraged me to do what I should, though. God wants to call us back to him. So I pulled out the Bible for the first time in a long time, continuing in 1 Samuel, where I had left off long ago. Here are some tidbits that spoke to me:

1 Samuel 15:22> "But Samuel replied: 'Does the Lord delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices as much as in obeying the voice of the Lord? To obey is better than sacrifice, and to heed is better than the fat of rams.'" I've been giving, but God wants more. He demands all.

1 Samuel 16:7> "But the Lord said to Samuel, 'Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.'" And then I read about David and Goliath. What matters most? The heart.

No comments: