Pages

Monday, May 16, 2011

May 16 -p

FIT:
Yesterday...

Impromptu bike ride... which turned into a rollerblade glide for me, when one of the bikes didn't work and we needed a backup.  It was perfect weather as we cruised on the Swamp Rabbit Trail from downtown GVL to Furman.  Weather.com says 86 degrees, but it felt cooler than that - maybe due to cloud cover.  It was a nice and relaxing way to spend a Sunday afternoon.  A couple of spots where there's a sudden patch of gravel or rutted road made me almost trip a couple of times, and it's hard to stop or slow down on inline skates.  But a couple of spots over 6 miles is not bad at all.  The trail is super-smooth and almost all clear of debris, making it great for rollerblading.  Just be careful on those couple of spots... I had lots of padding just in case.


After that, I figured that I needed to get in a strength session, so that I could fit in another one at the end of the week, since after that, it may be another 2 weeks before I can do another one.  I had watched some Runner's World videos on some new and interesting strength moves the day before, so I was eager to try them.  Having been a fan of exercise for a while, I'm always so pleasantly surprised to learn about new exercises.  Not only are there a good number of basics you can do, but you can blend the "basics" in all sorts of ways to make them extra challenging and to confuse your neuromuscular systems and stir up new strength. 

http://www.runnersworld.com/video/1,8052,s6-6-0-2,00.html

I was sore today, in my hamstrings, and a little bit in my calves.  Mostly hamstrings/lower butt.  Those things are never sore.  I think it was the rollerblading.  The first 9 mi felt like nothing, since the ground was so smooth, but the last 3 miles got harder because I started feeling sore.

Today...
I had planned on making it a rest day, since I did a "long run" of 10 on Saturday and then got myself sore on Sunday.  But... I knew that running can make soreness go away, and I was kind of in the mood.  I was tired, yes, but not as much as usual.  I wonder how much I'm stressing my immune system.  It was a cool day, so I wanted to take advantage of it outside, so even though I knew it would probably be a short recovery run, I drove out to the park.  Got in a few miles, faster than I expected.  Couldn't really detect the soreness, and it felt good to run.  I kind of wanted to go again right afterwards, but I'll save it for tomorrow.  It's such a good feeling when you finish a run and then 10 minutes afterwards, you think to yourself, "you know what?  that was so great, I think I want to go again right now".  But I'll save it.  I can maybe look forward to getting in another one tomorrow.  Maybe. 

4.3 in 36:18, 8:21 ave.  382 cal. 

Splits> 6:31, 6:15, 6:14, 5:59, 5:48, 5:30.  Mmm... running is so tasty.

No comments: