Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

May 14

FIT:
Third time's a charm.  Finally, on my third attempt this week, I finally eeked out a 10 in 1:23:23, 8:20 ave.  Normally, it wouldn't be remarkable, but that's the longest run I've done in about a month.  Don't know what it is.  It was 77 degrees in the gym, so maybe it's the heat.  Maybe I'm deficient in iron or something and should eat more dark chocolate, haha.  I took 3 naps today by 2pm... just spent the day sleeping and eating and internet surfing.  The weekend is when I can finally rest after the work week. 

I needed all the help I could get to make the run happen, so I was well-rested from all the napping, and I wore the light Kinvaras, and I drank a small bottle of Gatorade during the run.  It was only 80Cal total, and I had 1/3 of the bottle every 2.5 mi.  I can usually go drink-free and fuel-free for up to a half marathon (at training pace) with no issues, but maybe that's just in cool temps.  I needed the energy.  Even with that help, I had to push reaaaaly hard just to finish the last 1.5 mi.  The first half actually flew by, and up to the 8.5, everything was alright.  No real injury issues... normal minor kinks that speeding it up a bit normally takes care of.

The run's not over until you've done your post-run recovery tasks.  No stretching... I'm rarely in the mood to stretch after runs.  I feel loose enough post-run.  Maybe dumb, but that's how I feel.  I do like to fuel, though, so that I can take care of that 30min window where my muscles are very receptive to restocking itself and prepping itself for the next run.  Had protein powder + water, plus a sweet potato.  I was just looking at the very cute KeddieBears blog http://keddiebears.blogspot.com/2011/05/catching-up-in-photos.html and Joshua's peas looked sooooo good, so I microwaved up myself a carby yet vitamin-packed sweet potato. My muscles are very happy right now.  I'm also icing my knees and ankles, for preventative purposes.  Just feels right after getting myself knackered over the 10.

Splits> 8:34, 8:33, 8:32, 8:27, 8:21, 8:19, 8:16, 8:12, 8:07, 7:58.

No comments: