Pages

Thursday, June 28, 2007

GEAR GUIDE: Garmin Forerunner HRM w/ GPS




A pricey but cool toy. Perhaps the most I've ever spent on a toy/electronic device at $150-ish.

GPS: Satellite searching's been tough at times so far, giving me a weak GPS signal warning, but the device still works, and with pretty impressive accuracy, too. I've estimated The Loop in my subdivision to be 2.2 miles, based on my running pace, and sure enough, the GPS said I ran 2.2. Sweet.
The mapping functions kinda cool too, except it's too bad they only show your path on a blank background.

HRM: Almost not worth putting on, it's so unreliable. Sometimes, it works, but other times, especially at the beginning, it gives wacky numbers. Yeah, one should expect better from a Garmin product.

Pace: Pretty cool to have an pace calculator, but it's only good at the end of your run, when you want to calculate your ave. With the satellite thing, I'm not sure how accurately it gives marginal paces. It's a little tricky reading numbers when you're haulin' it anyways.

Interval: Haven't tried it yet, but it's an awesome idea.

Backlighting: Great for my runs home from the gym.

No comments: