Pages

Monday, January 23, 2012

Jan 22-23: Strength, Steady Run - p

FIT:
Yesterday, I did my usualy weekly-ish strength session.  They've been getting progressively better.  I started some variation of it probably in college.  It was really handy when I was injured with a sprained ankle for weeks, since it was the only real exercise I could do.  It also helps keep everything strong and balanced.  More recently, like within the past 2 years, it's been a big factor in me keeping injury-free for the most part.  I used to have knee issues, but hip strengthening exercises with 4-way resistance band hip exercises, single-leg quad dips, and hip flexor exercises have worked wonders, all thanks to a P.T. buddy's help.  No knee pain since then! 


Nowadays, I normally eat between many of the exercises, haha.  It makes me hungry.  I also stretch between many of the exercises.  It feels good to do it.  I used to just roll right through the exercises to keep up the intensity, but I like to eat and stretch now.  I hit all of the muscle groups in one session, and one per week or week and a half is about the perfect interval.  Any sooner, and my performance suffers in the second session.  Any longer, and I manage fewer reps in the second session because of fitness losses.  I usually time my strength sessions to be a little more than a week before big races... 8-9 days. 


After workouts, I log.  After cardio workouts, I blog.  I don't normally really mention the strength session, since it's almost always the same.  I'll rotate a few exercises that are similar in nature from time to time, but 85% of it is normally the same.  

OHh, I forgot to mention.  At like 4am last night, I woke up with stabbing pains in my right deltoid.  And it's been bugging me throughout the day!  Every few seconds, it feels like I'm getting shot with a bullet in the deltoid.  I don't know what it is.  I didn't feel anything odd during the strength session, although I did push it maybe 7% more than usual.  Hopefully, I will sleep it off tonight. 

Also today, I woke up feeling like my immune system may be a little bit down, so I had half a pack of Emergen-C, just in case.  I feel fine now.  I should be careful and eat lots of fruits and veggies, though, and wash my hands often and all of that.  I should sleep more, too, but that's probably not going to happen. 

Today, 2 days after the 20, I was going to do some cardio, most likely biking, due to the lack of a chance to do anything like that tomorrow.  I felt good enough to run, though, so I brought both shoes to the gym, so that I could run if the treadmill was free and otherwise bike.  I got to run, and it went well.  I tried a good, and for once, pretty steady (not progression) run.

I started with a warmup that warmed up pretty quickly from 7-7.5mph, then I held 7.6mph (about goal MP on a good day), then cooled down with a bit of striding thrown in there (thanks for the suggestion, Linds!).  It was my first time doing strides at the end of a workout.  I normally do that progression and then stop pretty suddenly.  The slowing down was nice after the hard effort (as slow as 7mph), and the strides felt good as a way to stretch my legs out a bit (strides at 8mph).

5.5 in 43:57, 7:59 ave.

Splits> 8:13, 4 x 7:56, 4:00 for 0.5.

I wore a tech tee, and it was 75 degrees in there, so was sweating more than normal.

FUEL:
I don't cook very often, but this has been a nice change.  I don't like to cook meat because I don't like the potential for germs and the mess and the extra effort of cooking.  I usually go with dairy or tofu or other soy-based foods or sometimes black beans.  Rarely, I'll do some fish or chicken.  But this was good:

Broccoli, 98% FF Cream of Mushroom, Carrots, Peas, Chicken, FF cheddar, Chives, Parsley, Black Pepper, Garlic Powder, baked until the Cheese is slightly burned.

And I've been eating lots of this in the past couple of days:

1/2 a Flat-out Multigrain Flatbread, topped with Salsa, broiled with FF cheddar until the Cheese is slightly burned. 

Eating the FF cheddar by itself I can't stand, but toasting it makes it absolutely delightful!

No comments: