Pages

Thursday, March 2, 2017

Workouts like Whoa, Kayaking, and Spartans Run Crowders

One big benefit of the 10,000 burpee club is that it's gotten me to work out more than I would've otherwise.  Since I had to get in a sweat-inducing 100, anyway, and already had to take a shower, and was already at the gym, why not do a run or bike while I'm there?  So, I've been getting in record numbers of workouts.

Mon, Feb 13:
Biked 60 min, covering 13.3 mi.  The workout was more for flushing out my legs after the long run and Spartan Workout Tour from the weekend, than for cardio.  I was really sore today, especially in my hamstrings.

Tuesday, still really sore, rested from doing burpees.  Should've caught up on sleep today, but wasted the opportunity.

Wed, Feb 15:
Intended to just get in a little bit of running to get my legs moving again after a few days away from running, even if it was going to be slow.  It ended up going better than expected, though.  6.0 in 48:08, 8:02 ave, at 2 degrees of incline.

Thur, Feb 16:
Biked 1 hr.  My left Achilles was a little bit strained during the burpees, so biking was the way to go.  Did some arms afterwards.  Need to make sure I work in some pulling action, to balance out all the pushing action from the burpees.

Fri, Feb 17:
40 min Strength session, including burpee time.  More towards the Deez Nutz WOD.  After the burpees, I wanted to continue doing something, but not cardio, so strength was it.
  • Burpees: 155
  • Flutter Kicks (4-ct): 50 + 50 = 100
  • Plank: 2 min
  • Squats: 100
  • Sit-ups: 150 + 160 = 310
  • Mt Climbers: 50
Sat, Feb 18:
 I've been missing the sunlight and being in nature.  Even though there are windows at work now, and I am outside for a minute or two each day walking to the car, I've still been feeling like it's been a long time since I've seen the sun.  When a friend asked what my plans were for the weekend, that made me think of going on a kayaking adventure.  It would be perfect, because I hadn't gone on an extended one (far enough to not be able to see my townhouse anymore) since moving here.  It wasn't too hot or too cold, either, and was mostly cloudy and actually ended up sprinkling on my way back.  I was close to hitting another milestone in the Amerithon, so my goal was to get in 6 miles.  It was upstream, then downstream, I got to a railroad bridge and turned around, then back upstream, then downstream.



My kayak had a backrest, which I used for 3/4 of the way, and it was kind of nice, but my back started hurting, and it actually felt better to not use it, for the last 1/4, because it allowed for the full, recommended range of motion.  There were interesting small and big houses by the river.  It's less natural feeling than the creek/river by where I grew up, but it was still nice to be out in mostly nature.  I went fast at the end, not wanting to see what would happen if lightning started or anything like that.   6.6mi in 175 min.  Pretty long kayaking trip!


Mon, Feb 20:
Almost didn't make it out to the gym, because I was craving salt after work and almost went home to eat turkey bacon.  If I had, I probably wouldn't have made it back out after dinner.  During the run, I was tired, too, not the falling asleep while running kind that I get a few times a year, but a blacking out while running kind that I don't remember feeling before.   6.0 in 48:50, 8:09 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  So low on energy, but the run itself was better than expected, performance-wise.

Tue, Feb 21:
Biked 60 min.  It was a break during a 8:30am->midnight workday.  The only break.

Wed, Feb 22:
Not feeling great today, again.  Low on energy.  Run went better than expected, in spite of that.  4.0 in 32:11, 8:03 ave, 2 degrees of incline.

Fri, Feb 24:
I was initially wavering about whether or not to go to the gym at all.  Gym or rest?  I physically walked back and forth a bit, deciding to go for the gym.  Not only that, I decided to go for an interval session for just the second time this year.  Maybe it's been the beta alanine that I've been taking, but my body has been wanting more intensity.  The session ended up being pretty good.  I got in a nice session to help with Boston, and it was also prep for a 5K the following weekend.
  • 1 mi warm-up in 8:04
  • 4 x [0.5 mi @ 9mph (3:20), 0.25mi @ 7.5mph (2:00)]
  • 0.5mi progressive cool-y-down-y in 3:40. 
Sat, Feb 25:
A 16 miler was scheduled, and I got it in.  16.2 in 2:55:22, 10:50 ave.  I did have a bathroom and water break after 6 mi and felt guilty about it, but I guess I used to have similar breaks at mile 9 in past marathon cycles, too.  1170 ft of elevation gain.  My right foot developed a blister at mile 13 again, so it wasn't the socks.  It's either the shoe or the insole.

Sun, Feb 26:
Southern Spartans is a facebook group.  It's fun to see people get psyched about races and encourage each other and share tips and info.  There have been some group events, too, and this was my first time making it out to one.  About 14 of us met up at the visitor center of Crowder's Mountain, laid out the plan for running up to the summit and waiting for the rest of the group to come in and get a picture, took a pre-run pic, and headed out.


I had already had 2 substantial workout days in a row, and had even debated coming out at all vs. resting, but it's hard to not try hard, when training with others, haha.  It was only 2 mi one-way, too, so even if you went hard, the suffering wouldn't last too long.  Might've been the first one up, just barely.  Some of the steepness is no joke!  But it's good training for Asheville.


At the top, while waiting around, the host pointed out that we could get good cell signal.  I decided to get in my 100 burpees while up there, especially since it was so fitting to be among other Spartans.  A couple of them joined me, which made me really happy.  We took a photo, enjoyed the views, and started back down.  My plantars seized up after the hills and the burpees, so once they un-seized, I started down, taking my time.  I caught up to some others along the way and enjoyed blazing down the trail with them.  Aroo!


After the 3.9 mi run, I almost started going home, but I figured that I had driven all the way out there, that I might as well take advantage of being there to do some more stuff.  I had brought my ruck, in case my legs hadn't been up for running, so I took it out on a hike.  I got to try some trails that I hadn't explored before, which was fun.  There's a lake there!  I went back up to the summit, to appreciate the view some more.




I was ready to be done, by the time I got back.  Downhill is harder than uphill, when carrying weight.  5.5 mi ruck in 2:11:24, 23:53 ave.

No comments: