Pages

Wednesday, March 1, 2017

First 20er for Boston '17, the Fillmore, and Spartan Workout Tour CLT

Back in Charlotte, and time to recover and get back to a normal schedule...

Thursday, Feb 2:
Had an evening meeting, so didn't get to start my run at the gym at work until 8pm.  Got in 7 miles, before my shoes got tight and I was afraid that someone may kick me out of the gym.  Was a good run, though.  Splits> 8:29, 8:22, 8:18, 8:10, 23:35 for 3 (7:52 ave).

Friday, Feb 3:
Got in my first bike session in the new gym.  Not as many miles as I can get within an hour in my subdivision's fitness center, but that's ok.  Still getting in some Amerithon miles.  14.2 mi, rather than the usual 16+.


Saturday, Feb 4:

I had done a bike session the previous day, hoping for a long run today, but I ended up spending the morning cleaning up the townhouse for a friend's weekend visit.

We hiked Crowder's Mountain's Backside and Tower trails, with a 20lb ruck, played Pickleball and Bocce, split a kombucha beer, went to a vegan restaurant, watched airplanes take off at an airport overlook, and played board games.  It was awesome.





Sunday, Feb 5:
After church, my friend left.  I was supposed to do an 18 miler this weekend, but I only got in 11.7 before the sun set.  It's not as bad as it sounds, because it was 11.7 on trails, but at least I got some time of my feet.  I had a late start, because it had taken me a while to muster up the energy to head out.  11.7 in 2:25:00, 12:24 ave.

Monday, Feb 6:
Did a strength session at the gym, after foam rolling.  I was sore from yesterday and had some small strains to work out.  My body craved some exertion and the kind of body re-set that strength sessions could provide, though, and the repetitive motion of cardio wasn't that appealing.  Did some more to chip away at the Deez Nutz WOD.
  • Sit-ups: 200 + 135 = 335
  • Plank: 2.5 + 2 = 4.5
  • Flutter Kicks (4-count): 45 + 65 = 110
  • Jumping Jacks: 100
  • Squats: 125
  • Push-ups: 20
  • Burpees: 105, as part of the 10,000 burpee challenge
Tuesday, Feb 7:
My legs felt good enough to run on today, so I did 7.0 in 56:20, 8:03, at 2 degrees of incline.  I had to stop mid-run to re-tie my laces, which had gotten completely undone.  Good run, though.

Wednesday, finally put away Christmas decorations.  It took so long, since I was away most of January and hadn't gotten a chance to do it then.  I've been busy.  Did post-beer burpees on this day.. it does make the burpees a bit harder.

Thursday, Feb 9: 
6.0 in 47:06, 7:51 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  I've been trying to figure out whether it's better to do the 100 burpees before my workouts or after my workouts.  I've determined that before workouts is better, to minimize injury risk, since burpees are more intensive than the core workout for me.

Friday, I took a day completely off from burpees for the first time, to play it safe and recover from potential strains.  I had my first 20 miler for this Boston cycle scheduled for the following day, too, and needed to be 100% to be able to hit that target.

Saturday, Feb 11:
I had considered doing my 20ers at a flat park with some grassy parts to run on, but the US National Whitewater Center is closeby, familiar, and has easy access to clean bathrooms.  I chose a less rugged trail that's not as scenic, since it's along the main driveway of the park, but it's flatter, and less technical.  A 5K was happening that same morning, so watching people start and finish on a couple of my loops provided some entertainment, and motivation to continue on.  After surpassing 3 hours, and having my legs start deteriorating after 18 miles, though, I called it after 19.1 miles in 3:14:15, 10:10 average.  Not a bad pace, given the gravelly terrain and 1,686 ft elevation gain.  I'm satisfied with counting that as a 20 miler equivalent.

When I found out that I might be moving to Charlotte, one thing that I looked forward to was having more opportunities to go out and do things.  However, after actually moving there, and finding out what an effort it can be to go out with the traffic and parking and being too tired to do anything, the only time I had gone uptown was once to volunteer at the Charlotte Half Marathon and another time while going on a walk with my dad at a park.  I finally got to fulfill my vision, though, when I got a free ticket to see English and a Journey cover band at the Fillmore.  It was fun.  I was right up front and should've thought to bring ear plugs, but it was a good time.  It was packed in there!  I didn't stay too late, though, because I'm not that young anymore, haha.


 



Sunday, Feb 12:
I love Spartan Workout Tours!  It rolled back around to Charlotte, in preparation for the Charlotte Sprint.  They had a new shirt design this year, which is always fun and fresh.  The workouts are never exactly the same, and they're always challenging, no matter what your level of fitness is, so it's great.
  • Warm-up: Jogging, high knees, butt kicks, jumping jacks, arm circles and body crossing, deep hip flexor stretch.
  • Warm-up Part 2: High-plank, transition to mountain climbers and grasshoppers - challenging!
  • 5 Basics: 1) Squats, 2) Backward and walking lunges, 3) Push-ups, 4) Simulated Pull-ups, 5) Burpees
  • WOD 1: 1:30s ea, then 45s ea, then 30s ea, of isometric squats, lunges, push-ups, pullups, then normal burpees.
  • WOD 2: 6 min AMRAP of 30 high knees, 10push-ups, 10 pull-up sims, 30 high knees, 10 squats, 10 lunges, 30 high knees, 10 burpees.  I did 2 rounds.
  • WOD 3: 5 triangle push-ups, 10 lunges, 15 spiderman push-ups, burpees, 20 jump squats, 25 raise the roof, and go back down.


No comments: