Pages

Sunday, December 24, 2023

"Take That Hill" Workout for Purple Heart Homes

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Monday, Sept 25:

Center - Day 9 - Corazon & Center - Day 13 - Trust Yoga with Adriene


Tuesday, Sept 26:

Morning at 5am: HDT Sanddoom 20 min AMRAP with 7 rounds and 25 reps with a 40#SB, followed Glute and pec PT v1 in 26:14


Friday, Sept 29:

4.5 miles in Garmont T8s with 50# in the Rucker V3, in 1:01:36.  It was the day after the COVID booster, so I slept a lot today and felt better by the evening.


Saturday, Sept 30:

Solo trip to Coleman's Creek.

Zero Range:

- Moved my optic from picatinny slot 10 to slot 9 to test it out, since slot 8 had some drawbacks on my other gun when I was shooting kneeling and standing (not prone).

- Adjusted 0.6R and 0.2U after the move.  Moving the optic on the other gun hadn't required any changes, so I was surprised.  It took me 13 rounds to re-zero.


PRS Barricade:

- I did it dry to save ammo while figuring out what worked best for me.  

  • I realized that I could land with my right knee up, to save a couple of seconds.   
  • Taking an extra moment to line up the turret also saved me time searching for the target.
  • 12X power worked great

- I went live, and missed way more and was way slower than I normally am in competition.  Strange.


Rock Seated:

- Better luck with hits here than I did on the PRS barricade, using the same 400yd target, so it must be me and not my gun.


Pogo Stick:

Using my other "good" gun, I ranged targets at 450, 575, 615, and 915, and shot them from 4 different positions on the pogo stick.  The only place where dope didn't line up was on the 575, where I needed to go up 0.3 more, even though it was the biggest target of them all.


Re-check Zero:

I went back to the old gun to re-check zero and see if it was off, which would explain my performance on the PRS barricade.  It was 0.2 high and 0.1R, which makes me feel better.  So I ended up reversing the change that I had made in the morning.  Some people recommend not making adjustments when your zero seems off, since it may fix itself, and that seemed to be the case this time, although an optic re-install is kind of drastic.


Sunday Oct 1:

Center - Day 14 - Stretch & Center - Day 3 - Shift Yoga with Adriene.  It gave me some much-needed stretching.


Monday, Oct 2:

Glute and pec PT v2 in 27:19 (it's been a while, but it wasn't too hard... I went back to it because it my glute was really sore yesterday).

18A "Hanging Abs" in 16:35.

Then max burpees in 5 min: 85.

After work, I hiked 3 miles at Renaissance Park in 1:06:37 with MACV1s using a 30# RPC, and it was delightful.


Tuesday, Oct 3:

A second consecutive pre-work session, doing 18A "Upper Body Prep" in 28:53, followed by "Pull-ups" in 31:39 faster than ever but with no PR rep counts and having trouble getting all the way up at times, although I was taking less rest between sets and rebuilding after a little time off.


Wednesday, Oct 4:

Went back to the park for an after-work ruck, since it was so delightful on Monday.  4.5 miles in 1:39:32 using MACV2s, wearing a 30#RPC.


Thursday, Oct 5:

Center - Day 2 - Listen & Center - Day 16 - Kind Yoga with Adriene


Friday, Oct 6:

Glute and pec PT v1 in 29:23, then 18A "Lower Push BW" in 32:20, then "Hollow" in 16 min.  

Went to Camp North End to ruck with 50# in the v3 rucker for 1:14:20 wearing Garmont T8s.  It was a ruck club event, but it ended up being a solo one, which you learn to be OK with... it's part of the job.




"TAKE THAT HILL" WORKOUT

Did the "Take that Hill" workout for 70 min.  It was like a mini-Light without rucks, led by Joe Baker.  It was well-designed, giving everyone a good dose of exercise and teamwork, in support of Purple Heart Homes.

We started with some warmups...


And then carried the "coupons", including a "200#"SB over to a nearby spot where we did a partner workout where we took turns doing PT while the other person ran out and back, until we finished the total required rep count...


And if we finished early, we got to "rest"!


While donkeys watched us...


We carried the coupons some more, up mulch banks...


We stopped by a barn where we did SB carry races as partners around the barn, and then we carried the coupons along a windy route through a forest, before getting back to the start, where we finished with a final mini-workout...


And then we got patches!


After the event, since I was up in the area, I went to Lake Norman State Park for a 6.5 mile trail ruck in 2:15:26, wearing MACV2s and 30# in a v3 rucker.

No comments: