Pages

Saturday, November 25, 2023

September Atlantic Coast Regional PRS Match @ Coleman's Creek

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Monday, Sept 11:

Blackstone with SB.  We did some ball and dummy for a warmup, and then Delorian, and cadence drills from Haley Strategic.  

We then did TRex Arms's cadence drill on different sized circles - you pick the speed you feel like you can handle based on the size of the circle.  

We did a mini "multiple target" transition drill.  

We practiced accuracy with a bottle and can target, 

and then we practiced different talk-on techniques while practicing accuracy, using a randomly scattered fly target.  These were all lots of fun to play with.



Main takeaway - Only shoot as fast as your accuracy allows.


Tuesday, September 12:

18A "Upper Body Prep" for 29:57, then "Push-up" in 45:49, then "Hollow" for 16 min.


Wednesday, September 13:

18A "Lower Body Prep" in 20:18, then "Squats Barbell" in 39:15, then "Dip Abs" in 23:43.

Had some amazing food (at least the fries) at Jekyll and Hyde Brewing with my mom.




Friday, September 15:

5 miles meandering around Camp North End with my parents, wearing Ballistic Trainers and 50# in the v3 Rucker.  They had a good time.








Saturday, September 6:

I became a member at Coleman's Creek, which seemed like the best choice among my options, based on the distance, the available ranges and props, and the flexibility that they offer.  

I spent the morning working on the May Drill, with retry #2.  I finally got it on my ninth attempt.  Some Kentucky windage was involved, but I got it done.  


I did try the March drill as well, but I am nowhere close on speed and accuracy.  That one is incredibly tough.

I spent the rest of th eday breaking in my new RPR.  I had cleaned it in the morning at 5am before I left, but that was only the beginning.  
- Clean #1 at home before I Left
- 3 shots with bore sighting shooting at a rock
- Clean #2
- 3 shots finally getting one on paper
- Clean #3
- 4 shots, getting bullseye and then shooting 3 more with chrono (2959, 2967, 2936) with a 1 inch spread
- Clean #4
- 5 shots with a half-inch spread plus one flier 
- Clean #5
- 5 shots with 2921, 2935, 2920, 2954, 2922 velocity
- Cleaned again when I got home.

Each cleaning took about 35 min.  



ATLANTIC COAST REGIONAL PRS MATCH

This was my second PRS match, with my first one being in April.  I knew better about what to expect this time.

Stage 3: 
- Shoot from 4 different spots along the log, and then shoot from the tire on the far right, at an IPSC at 735yd, 2 shots per position.



Results/Learnings: (4 points / 8 attempted / 10 total)
- I started at 12x but zoomed to 22x once I started shooting, and I ended up keeping it there, which made re-acquiring the target difficult in subsequent positions.
- I sent it without a perfect reticle on target a couple times when rushing it, thinking it would be good enough, but it wasn't.  
- There was dirt below, but vegetation around the target itself, which made spotting misses difficult.


Stage 4:

- Shoot at a 667yd IPSC from 5 unique positions on the triangle barricade, with 2 shots per position.



- I started prone, thinking it would be the most stable, but because we were shooting downwards from an elevated area, the pint-sized gamechanger didn't give me enough height unless I made pacman tall.  I had one bipod leg on and one off, too, which wasn't good good, either.
- Both bipod legs were on from the second position, which in theory would be more stable, but it made the rear bag height issue even worse.  I fought the position for so long.
- I timed out before getting to any non-prone position.  
- Being zoomed in from the first position also made re-acquiring the sight difficult.  I should've zoomed out first.


Stage 5:

- From each of 4 stumps of varying height, shoot 1 ea at a 500yd IPSC and a 557yd IPSC.


Results/Learnings: (6 points /6 attempted/ 10 total)
- After running out of bag height on the previous stage, I brought both sized bags this time, but the pint-sized ended up being fine for this one.
- I struggled with the shortest stump because I had left the bipod legs down, thinking they wouldn't get in the way, but the stump was low enough that it hit a random board that was in front of the stumps.  It canted my bag, but on the bright side, I did take the time to re-adjust the cant to make the shot.
- Magnification was a challenge again, and my default, I kept laying the gun pointed below the target before finding it.



Stage 6:
- NO DIALING!
- From the bench, shoot left to right with 1 round eadch on a 758yd IPSC, 868yd IPSC, 735yd IPSC.
- Repeat, but with 2 shots each instead of 1 shot each.


Results/Learnings: (0 points /4 attempted/ 9 total)
- I had originally planned on using one wind hold, but the wind direction switched to 9 o'clock right before my turn, and I forgot to dial that updated wind beforehand.
- It had started raining slightly, too.
- I misjudged the bipod height that I needed, starting forward 45 degrees.  I switched to normal wide, but what I really needed was normal in.  You're shooting over a valley here, I guess.
- WOMP WOMP



Stage 7:
- Start prone, with 3 shooters down at a time.
- Shoot at 876, 930, 960, 1029, 1124, and 1260yd targets, 2 shots on each.


Results/Learnings: (9 points /12 attempted/ 12 total)
- I started with 0.4L dialed, which worked at first, and then I missed left, so I adjusted subsequently, which worked.  
- Wide normal bipod legs, and the pint sized position normally worked.  If I shoot here regularly, I should make note of the ideal bipod and rear bag configurations for different bays.
- Rain was minimal when I shot, fortunately.
- REDEMPTION!
+ Magical moment: 3 women on the firing line at once, when we happened to be 2, 3, and 4th to go.


Stage 8:
- Move to the top of the tank trap and shoot 2 shots each, near to far, at a 542yd and a 734yd target.
- Move to the top of the barrel and repeat.
- Go prone and repeat, but only with 1 shot per target.


Results/Learnings: (3 points /8 attempted/ 10 total)
- I forgot to update my magnification before the stage, since I had been preoccupied by prepping my phone for a video recording.
- I shot the wrong target on the second target from the tank trap, because there were similar-looking ones out in the middle of the hillside.
- I interpreted the instructions as saying we had to use an arm of the tank trap, but apparently, the middle is also considered the "top".  I would've used the middle if I knew that I could.
- After the stage, I noticed that there was fog moving left in the distance.  That's a nice indicator of wind direction and speed.
- Messy.


Stage 9:
- PRS Skills stage on a target at 400yd... shoot from 4 positions.




Results/Learnings: (6 points /7 attempted/ 8 total)
- The Coletac rain cover was helpful because it was pouring, and we were no longer in a covered bay.
- I didn't rush my shots.  I took the time to level my bubble.
- I had trouble finding the target a couple of times with high magnification.
- I had to tiptoe on the left but not on the right.  They did try to build up the height of the ground a little bit, but it's still not enough.
- The pint-sized gamechanger was ok... barricade style makes the size matter a little less when it comes to elevation differences.
- Interestingly, I did double-kneeling sitting on butt for the left, and right leg up kneeling on the right.




Stage 10:
- Move to the cattlegate and shoot at a 460yd circle, 2x.  
- Repeat from the middle tires, far tires, middle tires, and back at the cattle gate.


Results/Learnings: (2 points /6-7 attempted/ 10 total)
- I considered bringing out my tripod for tripod rear, but someone before me shot from the top ok, and she was of similar enough height, so I skipped the tripod, since barricade style would be quicker.
- I got misses on shots that felt perfect, so I suspect that my RPR barrel was blowing up my bullets again.  I wish that I had brought my cleaning supplies.  It seems like it would be a pain to do in the field, but it's not actually that bad.  I did it so many times the previous day.




Stage 1:
- Move to the barricade and shoot 1 shot each, near to far, at 450yd and 445yd targets.  
- Repeat from 3 other positions afterwards.




Results/Learnings: (4 points /8 attempted/ 8 total)
- I wasn't sure what caused my misses.
- I struggled a little bit with target finding.
- When I saw the wind pick up a little bit, I increased my wind dial before the stage.



Stage 2:
- Go prone and shoot at 3 circles at 405, 406, and 397yd
- Go to tank trap (anywhere) and repeat, with 2 rounds per target.




Results/Learnings: (9 points /9 attempted/ 9 total)
- It took a while for me to find teh first target.  I'm glad that I took the timet o pan left to double-check, since there was another target to the left.
- I zoomed out and back in to re-acquire targets more quickly after moving to the tank trap.... finally learning from the past stages' mistakes.
- Once I was on one, though, panning was easy, since they were all at the same distance.
- FINALLY, A CLEAN STAGE!



Overall:
- 44/84 overall
- 2/5 ladies
- Zoom out and back in after switching positions, to find targets more easily.
- Figure out optimal bipod leg heights and gamechanger needs for different bays 
- Dialing wind instead of trying to remember to hold worked well.
- Try moving the scope closer to my eyes on the picatinny, to help with squaring up, per Kevin's suggestion







Monday, September 18:
6 mile ruck with 50# in the v3 rucker in 1:27:34, wearing Garmont T8s, playing Pokemon.  I feel like I Haven't worked out in a while, so my body was craving it!



No comments: