Pages

Friday, December 2, 2022

Kings Mountain State Park Orienteering Meet - Jan 2022

FIRST ORIENTEERING MEET

In preparation for my first Adventure Race, I worked on developing my navigation skills through orienteering.  I'm fortunate to have a number of permanent orienteering courses in my area.  This would be my first meet, though.  At a meet, there's a self-initiated staggered start for those who sign up, so that people aren't just conga line following each other from CP to CP.  There are different course options to choose from, based on the level of difficulty that you want to tackle from a navigational perspective and physical perspective.  There's a time limit for completing your route by finding all the CPs, and getting back to the start, so choose your course wisely when you sign up.  SB, my co-navigator for Sea to Sea, had another event that she had committed to doing this morning, so I was going to tackle this on my own.

At the events put on by the Carolina Orienteering Klubb, you have 3 hours to complete your course.  The faster you complete it, the higher your placement, within your course category.  Points are pre-plotted on your map, and you must use your electronic punch to visit the points in the specified sequence, but you get to choose the route you take to get from one point to the next.  You take into account terrain features, vegetation, the availability of trails, the use of attack points, the availability of handrails and backstops, etc.  Your time doesn't start until you punch the start line reader with your finger stick, so you can pick up your map early to do route planning.

I picked up my map and got to planning.  I figured out how I wanted to get from one point to another based on the factors listed above.  I used my protractor to measure the bearings I'd have to take at different landmarks along the way.  I used the map wheel to measure distances, so that I'd be able to do pace counts and see where I was along the way, compared to the expected distance between landmarks.  Route planning is maybe the most fun part of the event.  There's a lot of strategy involved.  You figure out how you want to play to your strengths, take or manage risks, etc.

Eventually (maybe 45 minutes later), I decided that I was ready to set off, after one last trip to a real bathroom.  I turned on Strava on my phone just so that I could see my actual route afterwards, and compare it to what I had intended to do.  Of course, I wouldn't look at it or any other electronic navigational device during the event itself.

The organizers showed me how the electronic stick clearing, checking, and starting process worked (to clear out old data, verify that the stick works and has batteries, and then to trigger your start).  Then, I was off!


I headed through the parking lot, and made my way downhill towards a creek.  I saw a log that I could use to cross the creek, which I was excited about, because it meant that I wouldn't need to get my feet wet, at least not yet.  I excitedly crossed it.  Then, I looked back at the map and realized that the CP was on the other side of the creek that I had just crossed, so I had to cross right back, haha.

There were quite a few people around at this time, so somewhat following where others were, I found the first point.  It was quite steep, so it took some climbing skills to get up and down.  Too bad I made an extra trip up and down.  I laughed at myself, though.

Time to find the next one!  My plan was to follow a thin area between the creek and thick vegetation.  I ran across a CP flag on a bridge.  It was way too early to be the one that I was looking for.  I didn't want to punch it if it wasn't mine, or mistakenly think that I got my second point if it wasn't my point.  It later occurred to me that it was a point for a different course level.  It's not that the other courses have a subset of the points that my course has... they sometimes have points that we don't have.  It was probably a white course (easy course) point, since it was right on a bridge (a bridge which one could use instead of trying to carefully use a log).  The bridge itself hadn't been on my map.  Not all trails are necessarily mapped, since trail systems are constantly evolving, and these maps are expensive to lay out because of the amount of detail that they contain.  Orienteering maps are among the most detailed out there, because they'll even plot rock piles, tree stumps, benches and other mand-made objects, etc.  I'd later realize that each control point that I had was actully identified by a unique ID on my map, and that each electronic receiver on the CP was also labelled with a unique ID, so it's actually supposed to be easy to check if a given CP is one on your list.

Anyways, fortunately, before I realized all those things, I was able to make the right call to ignore that CP and continue to look for my second one.  I walked further.  There was another group near me, and also a woman who I'd occasionally see, but despite this being my first time, I trusted my own skills and just focused on what I was doing and didn't get swayed by what they were doing.  A tip you'll sometimes hear is that if you think you've gone far enough, you probably haven't, and that was the case here, too.  I found it!


I continued along that same general direction to find the third point.  I was able to use the border of a thickly vegetated area to help me know where I was on the map.

As I mentioned earlier, there was a woman near me, and we both found it at about the same time, and we must've been on the same or similar courses, because we headed out in the same general direction to the next point, although my compass for my selected route had me left of hers by a little bit.  She looked experienced, and was wearing what looked like an orienteering jersey, even.  I still tried to do my own thing, and not let her choices sway me one way or another.  

I looked for a power line crossing that I expected to hit, and then that gave me a secondary check on distance to the fourth point.  I was actually like 75 yards off by the time I got to the fourth point... I was too far to the right.  But there were a few people around, so I saw where it was when I got there.  They found it first and left first and put some distance on, though, afterwards.  I do want to be able to find these independently as much as possible.



The next point was another 440m away, and I was excited when I came right up onto it.  It was in the middle of a gulch.  And as I mentioned before, I hadn't realized that everything was numbered at this time, so I had to hope that this was indeed the point that I was looking for, and not another random encounter.  Fortunately, it was.  


Either on the previous leg, or the leg after that, I was going through a bunch of downed trees.  I was completely alone, in the middle of the woods, relying on my compass and map to not be totally lost.  I wasn't on a trail or anything.  It was a distinctive feeling of isolation that could be scary for some.  My heart was pounding from adrenaline, but I wasn't panicking.  Worst case, I still had my phone, and I was in a state park.  I was thankful to be good at obstacle course racing, because I was climbing over and under a bunch of downed trees.

I had a good intermediate landmark on my way to the next point... an asphalt road, and it would be impossible to miss, so I could move faster for the next portion and not have to worry about pace counting until I hit the road, as long as I was going in the right direction.  There was a section of muddy ground that got my feet a little wet, but that was the only time.

I hit the road and crossed it.  There was more walking to do.  I didn't find the point at first.  Then, I realized on the map that the point would be at the end of a creek bed.  I had gone too far, so I backtracked a bit to where I saw a creek bed, and found it.  I was proud of myself for course correcting using terrain features.

(can you see it?)

To get to the 7th point, I used the road for speed, and then used landmarks (a bridge and a reentrant) to figure out when I should leave the road to look for the next point.



The 8th point seemed like it would be at the end of a creek.  I didn't see a creek... just dry creek beds, which made it harder, but I looked around more extensively and found it.  There was sort of an intersecting creek bed that it was on.  It looks like it was kind of in a hole, too.


The next one was to the left of where I expected it to be.  I wanted to analyze afterwards whether I was either consistently to the right or left of where I expected points to be, since that might show me if I favored a certain direction when I had to move around objects blocking my direct route.



To get to the last point before the finish, my plan was to find an easy route back to the road, and then take the road most of the way to point 10.  It would be hard to miss the road, even if my bearing was a bit off, and then once I was on the road, it would be easy to find the parking area again.  It was a pretty quick find, once I left the parking area again to go into the woods.


From there, I was good to go back to the start/parking area, and punch the finish reader!


Fortunately, despite me not noticing the identification numbers of the points, I was able to find all the ones I was supposed to find, in the correct sequence, without punching extraneous CPs from other courses.  I didn't get lost, I didn't make any big errors, I course-corrected when needed, and I minimally relied on others.  



I compared my planned route to my actual route afterwards:



Not bad!  I'm guessing the biggest deviation, which I had on the way to CP6, happened when I encountered the muddy area.  It seems like that's the spot where my bearing changed slightly, and any angle that you're off translates into greater distance of error, the farther you walk in that slightly wrong direction.

I covered about 5K in 1:45.



After the meet, I met up with SB to carpool down to SC for some firearms practice.

On the drive down, I told SB all about the meet.  Some lessons learned:
- I should mark off the waypoints as I visit them.  Points 3, 4, 5, 6 were all in a row, and had similar-looking terrain, so I got confused at times about which leg I was on.
- I now know that the map itself identifies which CPs I should find, with unique ID numbers that I shoudl see on the CP itself.
- I'm more aware of terrain features that I should look for right and around at the point, to help me find the point more quickly.
- Good use of roads for speed, and for loose direction following, when all I needed to do was head generally in the direction of the road.
- Good use of intermediate landmarks, to know that I'm on the right path, and give me something to reset off of for pace counting.
- Don't get so excited when you see a log crossing a creek, that you cross it when you don't need to.


PEW PRACTICE

SB and I worked on pistol for an hour on steel, aiming for various targets down the line.  

We did standing and kneeling.  

We did some horizontal walking and shooting down the line.

We did singles, controlled pairs, and gradually increasing counts, from holster.



After that hour on our own, some locals led a little group class on pistol basics.  
- Mag changes
- Tap/rack/bang
- Clearing procedures
- 5 fundamentals
- Kneeling options
- Getting up and down from prone properly without flagging
- Drawing and doing Mag changes with a side step
- 180* turn and shoot
- Shoot individually for added stress


At 4pm, we did some rifle basics, from 50m, to avoid cratering.
- Loading, mag changes, and clearing
- Standing and kneeling (no prone)
- VTAC freestyle
- Off-hand shooting from VTAC
- Shooting individually for addded stress

We had dinner at the Smoking Pig - I love BBQ.

Some of us went back to the range afterwards for some bonus night fire practice. 
- Pistol at 10yd, with WML, and with a handheld light with strong and weak hand.
- Rifle individually, to understand each person's light throw at 50m (my O-light push button wouldn't work consistently, which was disappointing).  My Modlight, which I had on my other gun, sucked, and couldn't keep its wired connection, and it dimmed by itself.
- Transitions to pistol, which didn't go so well... don't know if it's because I was tired or if it was because it was at night.

No comments: