Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2022

GORUCK Extortion 17 Tough/Basic in Wilmington, NC

Monday, Aug 2:

I did 5 miles in the v3 rucker with 30# plus water.  Originally, I was planning to ruck to the subdivision's fitness room to do stationary biking to start training for the Sea to Sea adventure race, but there were people in there, and I didn't want to catch COVID.  I watched videos and listened to podcasts related to adventure racing as I rucked.  I learned about what to look for in a good adventure racing bike.  It felt good to ruck for active recovery, since I had been sore in my feet and my pull-up muscles.

Tuesday, Aug 3:

After range day with SB, 


I got in the PATHFINDER Rucklympics Week 1 workout in 48:28.  It didn't feel too intense, I couldn't even tell what muscles I had worked afterwards.  Some members of our group were into it, though, so I did it to support them.


Thursday, Aug 5:

SB hosted a Cabarrus Ruck club event where she would lead us in a yoga practice.

I went to the local cycling store ahead of time, to see what they had available.  The pandemic made people gravitate towards outdoor activities, so the demand of bikes had risen.  Supply was probably impacted, too, with factories and supply chains around the world impacted as well.  There was a waiting list for the model that was the best fit that they had to offer, but if the wand chooses the wizard, this one didn't speak to me a whole lot when I test drove it.


Yoga was great.  It's cool seeing someone do something that they're really good at, and learn from them, especially when they're your friend!  During the class, we even got to attempt a headstand, which I think I did for the first time in my life.  That was a neat experience.







GORUCK EXTORTION 17 TOUGH

I wanted to do this event for a several reasons.

1) Cadre Dan was leading this event.

2) It was going to be Cadre Dan's 10th anniversary of leading Toughs.  

3) It was going to be my first time in Wilmington.  I've been wanting to get out here to do an event for a while.


I had built a team weight when nobody had one to offer, but a different one came up last-minute, and we went with that one, instead.



Bridget was there as well, since it's not too far from where she lives.  It's always fun doing events when she's there.  To celebrate the 10th anniversary, Cadre Dan was going to tell stories about favorite moments from his 10 years along the way.  

One example of a story is a Tough in Houston, where they went a long distance and expected an easy stream crossing to help them get home.  The river ended up being a raging one, but backtracking wasn't a great option, so they dumped their coupons, tested for a safe crossing, and got everyone through.

We started the event the way events used to begin - with a beer.  This was my first time officially *starting* a Tough with a beer, as opposed to finishing with a beer.  Some people pre-game with a beer, but beer makes me want to use the bathroom sooner than I otherwise would, so I don't do it.

It had been raining, so the tennis court where we started was wet.  As usual, the atmosphere of the event with Dan is pretty relaxed and genial.  We had a coupon : person ratio of 1:2.  I carried a sandbaby for the first 1/3 of the event only.  We did the Extortion 17 WOD 2x during the event, with breaks mid-way through both times.  

Our first stop was at the 5 mile mark at Halyburton Park.  Our second stop was at the 13 mile mark at Claude Howell Park.  By then, the morning was coming.  We celebrated another Tough tradition there, that I had not previously taken part in - Fireball.


The Extortion 17 WOD was a 31 min AMRAP of
  • 8 thrusters
  • 6 rows
  • 11 squat and jump over ruck
alternating with a partner, who would do a 400m sandbag run in the meantime (we rested).


At the end of the event, while celebrating with a second beer, we took a picture in front of his trusty truck, which he'd be retiring.  This would also be the retirement of the 10# sandbabies, since he wouldn't have a good place to store them in his new home.





GORUCK EXTORTION 17 BASIC

The Basic ended up being unique as well, because we stayed in a single park the entire time, doing loops but with different combinations of coupons and going in different directions.  It wasn't boring at all, and I quite liked the format, as a way to change things up.  You always knew you were close to home.

I decided to go with ranger panties, which is rare for me.  Since it was threatening to rain and was pouring in the beginning, it was a reasonable choice.  We did our welcome party in the parking lot, and it didn't require low crawling or anything that would've made pants a better option.



During the event, we did the Extortion 17 WOD again, with a break halfway through for a history lesson, and half of a slick Robbie Miller WOD.







It was special being able to celebrate Cadre Dan's 10th with him.  He's one of the best, and has done a lot to make GORUCK what it is today.  His events are always unique and well-thought out.  No matter how many events you've done, you can always expect to be delighted and thrown something unexpected with him.

No comments: