Pages

Monday, October 2, 2017

RACE REPORT: Spartan Fayetteville HH12HR (DNF), Super, & Sprint 2017

2 WEEK LEAD-UP

I had gone hard at the Carowinds Run Ride Half Marathon, so I felt the effects for longer than usual.

Wednesday, Sep 13:

40 min Strength, where I went back to what I used to do before I started doing the Deez Nutz WOD.  The WOD was good for introducing me to new movements, but it doesn't cover certain movements that would help me stay balanced, so I may start going back to my usual.
  • 200 crunches/side, for the first time in more than a  year.  Working on my abs again!
  • 2.5 min high plank to prep for HH12HR because that seems more popular with them, 2 min low plank.
  • 75 s/side Side Plank, with 35 dips, also the first time in a while
  • 25 pushups
  • 130 squats
  • 50 + 50 + 55 = 155 4-count Flutter kicks
  • 2 x 35 clam
  • 100 Mountain climbers
Worked that Saturday - do you what you gotta do.

Sunday, Sep 17:
9.6 mi in 1:55:42, 12:03 average.  Trail run at the Whitewater Center.  I used the Innov-8 X-talons to reduce the risk of ankle rolls, and to make myself used to the shoe in case I chose to use it for the HH12HR.  Started slow because my knees had been achey, but I warmed up quite nicely by mile 3.  Also got my HH12HR gear today, shopping at Lowes and Home Depot.  They publish the gear list about a week and a half before the event.  Need to be on that, to get your stuff in time!

Tuesday, Sep 19:
4.0 in 33:56, 8:29 average, 2 degrees of incline.  After packing for the HH12HR, did my last run.  I rucked with the pack full of gear to the gym, and man, it was heavy!  I normally ruck 20LB with about 1L of water when I go to the gym, but this, for some reason, felt a good bit heavier.  It seems like the main extra contributor of weight may be the duct tape?

Time passed slowly on the treadmill, perhaps because I don't go to the fitness center that often anymore, now that I have the gym at work.  Runs in new environments go by more slowly.  4 miles was the perfect distance... not overdoing it before the weekend, and I was getting mentally ready to finish, anyway, with the time dragging.

Splits> 8:33, 8:34, 8:30, 8:18.

HH12HR FAYETTEVILLE


Gear List
  • 1 Headlamp
  • 2x Chemlights/glowsticks
  • 1 Black Sharpie Marker
  • 1 Ruck/Backpack
  • 1 Hydration Unit: You must be able to carry your own water supply (2L or 3L recommended)
  • Bring enough food to survive 12 hours+
  • Ruck weight must equal 30 lbs minimum for men and 20 lbs minimum for women (before hydration and food, figure it out)
  • Reflective Safety Vest OR PT Belt
  • Multitool
  • 2x Duct Tape
  • 1 21 gallon plastic mixing tub as shown in the gear list video.
  • 2x 1inx2in wood lengths cut to around 2ft. Pre-drill 2 holes at 3/8in between 6-8 inches from the ends. (See video if you need more instructions.)
  • 4x 3/8 in bolt, nut and two washers. (See video if you need more instructions.)
  • 15ft of rope or mil spec webbing. (See video if you need more instructions.)
  • One sheet of paper with one envelope with your own name and address, stamped ready to post anywhere within the U.S.
  • One pen or pencil
  • 12 14x26in polypropylene sandbags
  • One yellow rubber duck that squeaks when squeezed

When the gear list comes out, you start wondering how these items will be used to torture you the following weekend ;)

The Warmup

You don't want to be late for the event.  It's bad news for you and the team if you're late, so I left work on Friday as soon as I could, to make the 2:50 drive to Fayetteville.  Got there, and gathered my gear for the event.  It's always a bit intense when you first roll up, and see the other competitors.  Other people crazy enough to sign up for stuff like this.  Some are seasoned vets, and others may be new.  All are in for a night of suprises.

Once at the meeting point, we started by stacking the firewood for the weekend's races.  We sang the song that we were asked to memorize - Rubber Ducky, by Ernie.


There were bouts of "the floor is lava!" where we had to suddenly climb onto something.



As a warmup, we did a pushup - lie down - roll up - jump combo.  Then, we started duck walking towards tires.  It was starting to get dark.  Our first task was to carry 33 tires, as a group, to some point far away.  We carried those giant things on our shoulders and backs, and were allowed to roll them for periods of time, which isn't easy, either.  Very push-up-like.  Plus, we have our rucks and gear on us the whole time, so even walking fast would be strenuous.  





The most interesting part was going down into a creek then back up the slope.  You have to control the tire going down, and push hard going back up.  After a while, we started a process of letting it roll down the hill and through the creek, which was fun teamwork.



More carrying and more rolling.  Eventually, we got to our base camp, and we completed the group task fast enough to earn ourselves some bonus time on the first individual time hack.  

The first time hack involved running back to the race festival area, figuring out how to build a durable sled out of the items from the gear list, dragging it to a sandy area where we'd fill three sandbags (25 lb each, for the women, 40 lb each, for the men), then drag it the rest of the course back to home base.  There were warnings that a previous HH12HR class had some issues with sleds breaking, so design would be important.  

Once at the festival, we got to working.  There were a couple of different ideas going around.  I suspected that the weak spot of the sled would be the bottom getting worn and falling apart as it gets dragged on rough ground with heavy stuff, so I used the wood to build rails for the sleds to run on.  Others used it to reinforce the front of the sled, which they'd pull from.  Someone had an idea of making holes not only in the front of the sled, but also on parts of the side, so that a single spot wasn't getting all of the pulling.  That made sense, so I also did that.  

I was the last one to leave.   It took me some time to figure out the best way to make holes with my multi-tool.  Twisting the serrated knife ended up being better than doing the same with the flat blade.  One guy cut himself pretty badly.  He actually ended up completing the event successfully!  


I got going, and passed a couple of people on the way to the sand pit.  Then, it was time to get digging.  The sand had to be dug up.  I fortunately found a good spot for sand, so it wasn't as bad.  Depending on your spot, getting sand from the hard ground could be very difficult.  I took my bags to my sled, and could barely move it.  This would be a long night.  Rope-on-skin would be tough, with the thinness of the rope.  Some people attached their wood to the rope and pushed on the wood, but that seemed rough, too.  I walked backwards and pushed back with my ruck.  It made it easier to put my weight on the rope to make the sled move.  Plus, the pressure of the rope went onto my ruck, rather than on me.  


After not making it that far, a guy that I had rolled tires with pointed out that my wood rails may be making things harder for me, since I was plowing the ground with the wood.  I removed the screws and took off the wood, and it did help.  Still not easy and still slow, but a little bitter.  There was a group that left the sand pit a little after I did.  They helped each other get their sleds in working condition and waited for each other.  Some of them broke from the front because of the pulling stress.  They passed me at about the dragging halfway point.  

I came across the guy (I think it was the same guy) who had given me the tip about the plowing, who had broken the front of his sled, too.  It would've been tough to not make the hack because of a broken sled, so I stopped and helped him make holes on the sides.  It didn't take long.  We all continued on.  The thing about the time hacks is that you have no idea how long you'll have.  In my first HH12HR, I finished with a reasonable amount of time before the hacks.  This tough sandbag sled would probably be different.  I would just need to pace myself and do my best.  

When I got to the finish, it wasn't immediately clear that it was the finish.  I recognized the landmark, but everyone was kind of hiding, with headlamps off.  It was late, too, and when I saw the reflective vests shining back at me when I looked that way with my headlamp, for a moment, I thought they were coyote eyes, haha.  I went in anyways, and was told that I had made it, and hid with the rest.  I laid on my bed of sandbags in my sled and rested, exhausted.  Not 5 minutes later, time was called.  The 3 or so who hadn't finished yet were out.  


The next activity was interesting.  We handed in our self-addressed envelopes.  Then, we wrote letters to some random HH12HRer who would receive our letters some undetermined time in the future.  We could write about not giving up, about what we're learning here and how it translates to life, etc.  It would be interesting to see when we would get the letter, whose we would get, and what it would say at that time in our lives.  Cookie pointed out that we could potentially get our own, by luck of the draw!  That would be interesting.  


We didn't have a lot of time to write, so it wasn't like we got a break.  Time for the next task.  We hiked to the festival, with no ruck and gear - just our squeaky ducks, a sandbag, and a sharpie.  What would we do with this?  We got to the rolling mud.  We were each given a number to write on our face, and on the duck.  We tossed our ducks into the dunk wall pool.  My little duck went far, towards the back, which was good to note.  

Next, we were told to get into a different mud pool, waist deep.  This was a challenge in concentration.  With sandbags on our heads, we'd have to estimate when 10 minutes elapsed.  Based on the amount of time we were off, there was some implication for some task, but it wasn't exactly clear.  The task was made more difficult by the fact that we had to sing the Rubber Ducky song twice during it, and a tag-along dog jumped into the water.  We had to be silent the rest of the time.  Only 2 people got out at about the right time.  Some people were like 5 minutes off, and were just told to get out in the end.

 (I'm the little one with the two vertical yellow stripes, 3rd from the left)

Next, we had to run back to base camp, get duct tape, then jump into the dunk wall to find our numbered duck.  I found my duck on the second try.  One person's duck disappeared.  Next, we paired up with similar-sized people.  Fortunately, there was someone as small as me, if not smaller, who I got to pair up with.  We had to buddy carry each other back to base camp.  I was thankful not to be with someone bigger who would've been really heavy to carry.  My buddy was the perfect match, and we took turns piggy back riding each other to base camp.  She was super strong for her size.



It was time for the next time hack, and we were told that it would be very hard, with a tough time limit.  We had to take one of the sandbags, plus all of our gear, minus the empty rucksack, go to the sand pit, and fill up three more sandbags to bring back.  That would be a total of four sandbags, plus the ruck weight, plus gear.  The first time hack had been so hard to move, I figured I was in for an uphill battle.  My only shot would be shuttle running the sandbags, perhaps.  We dragged sleds to the sandpit.  That was the easy part.  Time to dig enough for 4 sandbags.  My spot wasn't as good this time.  The first sandbag took a long time to fill, because I was chipping away for small bits of sand at a time.  I found a better spot for the next two, but it was still pretty time-consuming.  

I started shuttling the sandbags from the start.  I shuttled three bags, then dragged the sled with the fourth bag plus the ruck weight and gear.  Repeat.  One guy was using the same technique, but was running back and fourth.  I was pacing myself.  I leap-frogged with another girl who dragged the sled the whole way, plus a guy who was also shuttling.  Still about 1/8 a mile from the end (maybe 3/4 of the way through the drag), we were told that we had already missed the time hack.  Some of us decided to finish it off, anyway, since we were so close.

I was satisfied with having given it a good try.  In my current state, I'm not built and trained for heavy stuff.  People my size can do it, though.  My buddy carry buddy did it.  She's tough.  It was my first DNF at a race or event.  It didn't crush me mentally to DNF like I thought it might.  If it was last year, during my first HH12HR, it might've.  I might've cried.  But not this time.  Not sure why.  Was it because I gave it what I reasonably had and had gotten to a point where knowing that was enough?  Is it because I already had one under my belt?  Don't know.  With these events, finishing or not can depend on some luck related to gear holding up, or with the amount of time you get, or the nature of the challenge.  

(The Finishers)

The guy who ran the shuttle ended up finishing, I found out on Facebook.  I dumped out my sandbags, thanked the Krypteia for the opportunity to at least try for it, and went out into the morning light with the other DNFers.  Those still in it had already long gone, off doing who knows what.  On the bright side, I didn't have to worry about rushing to make it for the Super.  I took an hour nap in the car.  



When I woke up, my legs were all kinds of tight.  I debated whether to still go for the Super, or just keep napping until it was time for my volunteer shift.  I didn't want to risk injuring myself.  I wasn't sure how I'd make it 8+ miles.  But my volunteer shift was at 1pm, which would give me at least 4 hours, so I decided to go for it.  I already missed my chance at an Endurance trifecta this year.  I didn't want the HH12HR to also keep me from reaching my triple race trifecta.
 

THE SUPER

Somehow, my body is capable of going when it's go time.  Maybe not HH12HR level, but good enough for the super.  Fort Bragg last year was pretty flat, and so was this farm.  I prefer flat, runnable ground to bushwhacking and steep climbs.  It was a super and not a beast, too, so the obstacles are a wee bit easier, and the heavy carries are shorter.  


Hay pyramid, Overwalls, OUT, Hurdles, Vert Cargo, Rope Climb, ... a lot of the next part was familiar from the previous night.  Invert Wall, Atlas Carry, Monkey Bars, Sandbag... that was the loop that we did a few times with tires and sandbags.  Compact, and well-designed for easy control over the HH12HR in the dark.  Bender, Z-walls.  At Z-walls, I realized that I was really hungry.  After the HH12HR, I had forgotten to eat, even after my nap.  I must've been "out of it", to forget to eat.  Maybe I wasn't really hungry then... but to go another 8 miles with nothing?  Phew!  What was I thinking?  


I volunteer at pretty much every race, and I did have a mom ask me for food once for her kid.  I figured it was worth a try... the first volunteer didn't have anything, but the second set of volunteers that I asked kindly gave me a chewy bar.  Oh man, I needed it so bad.  I scarfed that thing down.   I was still super hungry, though.  I wondered how long the chewy bar would last before it burned up, too.  It was only a matter of time before a spectacular bonk.  I still had 4 long miles to go, with obstacles.  Running on fumes.  All I could think about was food.  


Suddenly, from behind me, came a friend MFW, who I had volunteered with in the past.  I explained my situation to her, and she kindly gave up half of her food for me.. half a Clif bar, and the most delightful chocolate covered raisins ever.  Oh man, I was so desperate, and would've eaten whatever I could find off the ground.  She was so nice to take the time to share her food with me, and to give up what she was planning to have during her own race.  


We continued on, and my energy levels gradually returned.  I kept up with her for a while, as we tackled Stairway, 8' wall, Bucket, Multi-rig, Barbed Wire, Rolling Mud, Slip Wall, 7' wall (got help on this, it was open heat, where I'm ok with getting help on occasion if it's a multi-day race and I just want to finish).  


Next, Herc Hoist was too much for me, so I burpeed.  Another run in the woods, then I successfully completed Twister, failed Olympus, failed Spear, did A-frame, and Fire Jump.  8.3 in 2:47:57. 

I thoroughly enjoyed the banana after the race, got cleaned up, got a beer, and napped off and on for about 30 minutes before getting ready for the volunteer shift. 

It was hot, and I wear long sleeves and a buff around my neck to keep the sun from burning me, but got it done.  Before volunteering, I had copious amounts of mustard on Ruffles chips - it was the most delightful thing ever, and just what I needed to recover from the HH12HR.  

I stayed in the area overnight.  It's always exciting to get to go to a hotel afterwards, without having to worry about driving a long time or sleeping in the car without a legit shower.  The big question is always what's first - food or shower?  Food typically wins, then a shower, then more food.  

I decided to sleep early, then wake early (4am) to do laundry, before going out to day 2.  I might've gotten like 6-7 hours, but it felt great after the previous 2 days with maybe 1 hr sleep total.  

THE SPRINT

I was tired, having been awake since 4am, but it was go time again!  This would only be 4.6 miles, so no time pressure at all.  A walk in the park, after the previous 2 days.  It ended up going really well!  All fueled up.  



I did the Herc Hoist this time, no issues... I wonder if it was really lighter than the previous day, or if I was just more rested and not back-to-back evented.  


I even made my first spear throw ever.  It wasn't as satisfying as I always imagined it would be, because I didn't realize that I made it until a volunteer came over to me 7 burpees into my burpees to let me know that I had actually stuck it.  I had always pictured myself yelling the biggest yell ever, in victory.  Oh well, I can still do that next time, now that I think I have a technique finally figured out.  Front-weighted, Run, Arc.  If I can do the spear, I may have a chance at a clean race.  I at least know that the Olympus is doable, since I did it in Tahoe... I just have to be fresh enough for it, maybe.  We'll see!




I actually got 7th female in Open, and 3rd in my age group - not bad, after a partial HH12HR and a Super!

Afterwards another volunteer shift.  

MORE THOUGHTS ON THE WEEKEND

I started wondering if I could've made it.  If I had pushed it through the sandbag task, could I have made it?  If I had run like the other guy did?  So hard to tell.  Racing well for non-obstacle races is all about pacing evenly.  That doesn't work so well with the HH12HR, where your time limits are not known, and the nature of the challenge isn't fully known.  You can gun it through one task, but it may burn you out for your next task.  In my last HH12HR, I did start really tightening up, after pushing it through the first two time hacks with the weight of time pressure on me.  I didn't let time pressure me this time.  I aimed more for completion.  Well, what's done is done.  If I were to do it again, I wouldn't have necessarily done it differently.  I think I did push it pretty hard.  It is a long task.

I have thought "never again" at some other events.  I still end up doing them again anyways.  But with the HH12HR, I really do want another shot.  Each event is different, and is creative.  My buddy carry buddy had asked me why I decided to sign up, and my answer was that I wanted to prove to myself that the last HH12HR completion wasn't a fluke.  I guess I still have some unfinished business, then!  I didn't sign up for this one until a couple weeks before the event, through an Instagram contest.  I had been considering it, but wasn't going to do it, until that happened.  Would I have trained more for it if I had signed up earlier?  Maybe, with rucking.  I hadn't been rucking much on hikes on on walks to the gym.  Well, we'll see in 2018!  Gotta finish my triple trifecta, OCRWC, and Spartan Ultra Championships first this year!


Stuff I learned:
  • People can be very generous, like my friend who gave me half of her race fuel, and it inspires you to want to pay it forward.
  • Even people my size (height & weight) can be killer beasts at events involving really heavy weights.
  • I can do more/better than I thought I could, at back-to-back events.

No comments: