Pages

Thursday, October 26, 2017

RACE REPORT: Rugged Maniac NC 2 - 2017

Training that Week:

Just one run...

Wednesday, September 27 
5.0 in 41:58, 8:24 average, 2 degree incline treadmill.


Rugged Maniac:

Rugged Maniac was back in NC for a second race.  It's a fun one, with a high obstacles:distance ratio.  It has some inflatable obstacles like the Crag "mountain" and the Particle Accelerator "water slide" that you don't see often.  I was excited to go for my third RM total here.


I went in the elite heat, wanting to podium again.  As we went out, my speed didn't feel like it was all quite there.  My legs weren't responsive.  There was a big group that went ahead from the start, but I gradually made my way back up.  I didn't want to burn out quickly and red line, like I had at my last RM, because that was painful.  I would try to race a little smarter.


Same obstacles in the past.  The rings were tricky because you hit them right after doing a fenced in water/mud crawl. 


I was neck and neck with a Savage racer, battling for 2nd and 3rd.  I passed her in the final 0.1, but then we came up to the warped wall, where 1st was collecting herself before tackling it.  I knew it would be a challenge, so I ended up letting them take it on, first.  They got it on their first try.  I tried three times before I got up, so they finished ahead. 


It makes me wonder what would've happened if I had went for it immediately... It does take mustering some leg strength, since your legs are pretty sapped after running on uneven ground, so maybe it wouldn't have worked, anyway... Maybe I'll go for it the next time, though.  It would've been cool to finish first.  It was fun competing with them, though.  Close race!


After the race, I volunteered at Bang the Gong, which is a fun one to watch.


The day after, I did a lot of house work.  My legs felt suprisingly used, for such a short race.  They didn't feel good enough to run on.  I had been hoping for a long run, to help gain mileage to prepare for Iceland.

No comments: