Pages

Sunday, March 30, 2014

Mar 10-29: Life Post-Spartan

Mar 10: Lower and upper arms and legs are sore.  Only got 2 hours of sleep, after daylight savings, a late departure from ATL, and a 6am meeting the next morning. 

Mar 11: No workout today, because of work dinner.  Good to continue resting, anyway.

Wednesday, Mar 12:
4.0 in 34:13, 8:33 ave.  2 degrees of incline.  Even 1.5 mi of running was tough and felt like it took forever!  Considered stopping at mile 2, but I made 3 miles a goal.  It did get easier as I went on.  My legs felt kind of bangy.

Thursday, Mar 13:
65 min on the recumbent bike with the TV and running magazine.
Mar 14: Got a beautiful 10.5 hours of sleep.

Saturday, Mar 15:
An unplanned double-workout day!  Did a 55 min strength session first, at 3pm, because it had been a while (not counting the Spartan race itself), and my body was craving it.  I still felt pretty good afterwards, and I wanted to take advantage of opportunities to run outside, so I went to the park for some Zombies.  Did 5.2 mi in 43:32, 8:19 ave, at 6pm.  Legs felt tired during the sprints.  Wondered if I lost some endurance, or maybe I’m still just recovering from Spartan.

Sunday, Mar 16:
Wasn’t sure if my uncushioned knees could handle the run after yesterday’s double, but they did.  Calves were sore all day.  It was a bit of an emotional day, too.  The run itself was decent, though.  5.0 in 43:12, 8:38 ave.  I did the run on the treadmill, at 4 degrees of incline = 7:39 effort.
Mar 17: Hooked on Spartan.  Did pushups and pullups today.  Too tired to do any workout, though.

Tuesday, Mar 18:
55 min of the recumbent bike.  Could’ve maybe done a run, but the bike was more appealing, because it’s so easy and relaxing, like physical/mental/psychological candy.  Dinner has been making me tired lately… wonder why – post-carb crash?  Just the workday catching up? 
Mar 19: Too tired, and legs too inflamed to run.

Thursday, Mar 20:
Work was busy, so it went by fast this week.  I’ve been having to drink tons of H20 over the past couple of weeks, just to keep my lips from being very dry, on top of the copious amounts that I normally drink.  Did 5.0 in 42:19, 8:28 ave, on 4 degrees if incline = 7:32 effort.
Mar 21: Slept 8pm-12am, then 3am-6am.

Saturday, Mar 22:
I had been running in the evenings, but it had been a while since my last run, so I went in the morning this day.  When I was there, a family was blowing up a hot-air balloon, seemingly just to test it out, so it didn’t go airborne, but it was pretty cool to see, nonetheless.  The excitement of watching it get inflated, hang out, wondering if it would lift off, and deflated, made the loops around the park more exciting. 

 

I did this run only with some PB in me, but I had that midnight meal, so it wasn’t too hard.  6.7 in 55:56, 8:17 ave.  After the run, I watched Divergent and did some shopping, so it was a very pleasant and fun day.  I rarely go to the movie theater.  I only go when I am certain that the movie will be good, which is pretty much when it’s based on a book… Harry Potter, LOTR, Hunger Games, Les Mis… those are probably the only movies I’ve seen on the big screen in the past 10 years, if not more.  I get to catch up on other movies on plane rides.  Anyway, Divergent didn’t disappoint. 

Sunday, Mar 23:
The run started slowly.  I’ve had little pullup strength in the past couple of days, too, for whatever reason.   I’m now on Season 1, Episode 15 of the Zombies, Run! running + story app, and this time, the chases really caught me off guard, because they’d come when I least expected it, right after the transmissions that told story clips.  They were hard to keep up with, too, and I got caught once, at the end.

Monday, Mar 24:
Did workout 1 of the Jillian Michaels Hard Body DVD, for the first time.  It wasn’t too hard.  The sets are short and end right as they get tough.   I supplemented it with some of my usual strength-day PT.

Tuesday, Mar 25:
Did 55 min on the recumbent bike.  Felt like I had done it recently.  I like bike days, when there’s no pressure to do the run, because they’re so easy and relaxing.

Thursday, Mar 27:
I debated about whether or not I would do the run, because I planned on doing a 12K trail race on Saturday.  It had been a while since my last run, though, and my endorphin receptors were missing a true workout.  My body felt unused and neglected.  It was a great run, with 4.0 in 32:38, 8:10 ave, at 3 degrees of incline = 7:32 effort.

Mar 28: I held out hope until the last day, but I decided late at night, that I wouldn’t end up starting the race after all, because after doing calculations, I didn’t think I’d be able to make my flight, or if I somehow did, I definitely wouldn’t get a chance to shower, after the muddy, rainy trail run.  And 13 hours of flying + a 6 hr layover like that wouldn’t have been pleasant for anyone.  Oh well.  I made the right choice.

Saturday, Mar 29:
I didn’t end up doing the trail race, but I still got in a good run.  4.0 in 33:23, 8:23 ave.  Splits> 17:20 (8:40 for 2), 8:17, 7:45.  3 degrees of incline.  Pure Cadence running shoes.

No comments: