Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

July 10-14 : Calm (not really) Before the Whirlwind

"Not really", because I'm gearing up for a whirlwind, but you'll have to wait over the next few weeks to find out about it, I'm afraid.  Preparations have made it not so calm.  Last week was calm... napping, tv, family time, etc. 

FUN:
I have a new movie that I'm really into:
AKA Ring of the Nibelungen, Curse of the Ring, Kingdom of Twilight, Dark Kingdom: the Dragon King

It's a European movie (originally in English), that was unfortunately cut by 1/3 for the American version.  Watch the 177min European version, if you can. 

It's based on Wagner's Der Ring des Nibelungen, which was based on Nordic and Germanic sagas.  I could watch this every day like I did with Harry Potter.

FIT:
July 10th, Tuesday:
65 min strength session.  525 crunches/side, 3:00 plank, 110/125 abductor/adductor leg lifts, 12 divebombers, 65+60 single-leg quad dips, 50+40 8lb dumbell rows, 105 lower leg extensions, PT elastic band 4-way leg pulls, 35 superman arm sweeps, 75sec side planks, 20 tricep dips.  Grunted with the effort... put a lot into this workout... oh yeah, it was at 3am.  I was too tired to do it the previous night, so I slept and work early for it. 

July 11th, Wednesday:
4.4 mi progression run, 34:40, 7:53 ave.  So difficult.  Worked 11 hrs today.  Man, work and stress take their toll on workouts.  Last week was so chill, and the 11miler came easy.  From mile 2 today, it was hard.  The last 0.4 mi, I pushed it to make my body stronger by fighting through the tiredness until my form couldn't hold up.  Grunted and grimaced from the effort, even on this 4 miler.  Hammy stretches felt good afterwards.  I wonder if it was difficult because dinner wasn't fully digested yet.  Splits> 16:22 for 2, 7:48, 7:32, 2:56 for 0.4.

July 12th, Thursday:
5.0, progression run, 40:36, 8:07 ave.  Easier today.  @ works, legs were stiff and wanted a good flexing out.  I thought I'd only be able to bike, but flex/stretching it made them fine.  I started slowly, but I was kind of forced to speed up to use different muscles as the original muscles tired.  It was a long 100mph day at work, and I tried to nap, but couldn't, so I just went to the gym.  Almsot fell off the treadmill laughing because of the Jillian Michaels podcast I was listening to at one point.  I like a lot of her advice, and her openness.  Splits> 8:33, 8:27, 8:19, 7:51, 7:21.  Booked it on the last 1/8 mi because the gym was closing... like full-out sprinting.

July 14th, Saturday:
Treadmill intervals.  The last speed session was a week and a half ago with Yasso 800s x 7, but I wanted something quicker, and I was interested to see how my topper-end speed was.  1 mi warmup in 8:19, 3x[3/4 mi @ 9mph, 1/4 mi @ 7.5mph], 1 mi cooldown (because I still had a good bit of energy and legs left) in 7:08.

FUEL:
Here's what I've been having for lunch (and worktime snacks) for the past couple of months.  May not look too appetizing, but it gets the job done, efficiently and cheaply.


Some combination of:
> Instant oatmeal
> Protein Powder + Instant Decaf + Cocoa Powder
> Veggies (typically, organic mixed greens, but this week, it was Green Bell Pepper + Carrots + Tomato)
> WW Peanut Butter Sandwhich
> Dark Chocoalte
> A few Almonds
> Whole Grain (really, half whole grain) Goldfish
> 75% light Vermont Sharp Cheddar (not pictured)

No comments: