Pages

Friday, March 24, 2023

Sniper's Unknown Challenge 2022 @ Clinton House


TRAINING LEAD-UP


Sunday, Oct 16:

HDT Baseline (42 prisoner squats, 43 pushups, 77 situps, 66 burpees, 2 min dead hang, 2 mile run in 15:21 with Boston Boost in 76* temps, 2 mile strict ruck with a 30#RPC in 27:50.

I signed up for HDT again to help me get strong again for Mammoth, with enough time to taper before the event.  Strength isn't a massive part of Mammoth, but it doesn't hurt to be strong.


Monday, Oct 17:

Met up with the ruck club (Brandon) for a 1 mile ruck with a 30#R carrying 20#SB half the time, CHAD500X with the ruck, 22 slick pushups, and the return trip with the ruck and SB half the time.  



Tuesday, Oct 18:

HDT 34.1.2 (core), which was mainly BW, in 47 min, followed by HDT 34.1.CP (Sanddoom) 20 min AMRAP with a 30#SB only with 8 rounds and 33 reps.  I'm easing back into HDT, so there was no need to push on day 1.  

Also met up with SB for a rare squeezed in evening session, to help her zero her red dot and chrono her rifle, before our first team match.  We ran a couple of mock stages, too, which is always fun.




Thursday, Oct 20:

HDT 34.1.3 (legs) in 113 min at 4am the day after the COVID booster and flu shot.  It felt hard.



SNIPER'S UNKNOWN CHALLENGE

Our first team match would also be a 2-day match, which requires you to be focused for longer.  


Zero Day

Friday was a zeroing and optional train-up day.  We also got dinner (Mexican) and the match book with stage briefs.  We weren't expecting that, but it gave us the opportunity to plan strategies.  Andy and Scott were also shooting the match, as a team, so it was good to hang out with them and learn from them, too.

We got there at 1pm, checked in, got our event shirts, and I bought some stickers.

When we went to the zero range, we discovered that targets weren't provided, so we drew up a sheet of our own with highlighter and notebook paper.  We weren't exactly at 100yd (we were at 96.5yd), either, since others had set up prone a little bit closer than that, which makes me twitchy, but I dealt with it.  Some nice guys let us borrow their stapler.  My zero was OK.


There was a class on Movers going on, and we were invited to join in to shoot.  They were at 100, 150, 200, 250, and 275.  The farther ones were moving faster, so they were at 2, 4, and 7mph, I'd guess.  Some were rolling on uneven terrain, so their bodies would jolt around unexpectedly at times, too.  For the 200yd, I had to hold 4mil to hit, which was crazy, since my theoretical hold for the 4mph mover was more like 2.2.  I didn't go beyond 200yd, since I was having trouble with 200yd as it was, and I didn't want to waste too much ammo, especially on the Matrix robots.


Next, we went to the zero range, which had known distance targets.  I shot modified prone out to 900, and the Kestrel dope was good.  SB had to make 1 mil adjustments at 600 and 700, which is huge, and my best guess was that it was her transonic zone.  It was nice that they offered zero range along with a 

We went back to the hotel to relax and re-hydrate, and then went back out to Clinton House for dinner.  Then, we went back to the hotel for day 1 stage planning and gear prep.  We laid out a rough plan and gear list for each stage, including diagrams and holds.  It was pretty late by the time we were done and able to get to bed.


Day One

Since this was our first SUC, we didn't know 100% what to expect, even though the match book certainly helped.  We were ready to ruck up for the day, live out of our rucks for the day, and potentially ruck from bay to bay.  It turned out that we'd be driving from stage to stage, although we were encouraged to carpool to minimize traffic.  We packed up our rucks and jumped into a truck with some really nice guys with a busted up windshield.  He had some debris fly and hit the windshield a couple of days ago, and was lucky to not be hurt, but it made driving more interesting.  

For this event, you have a primary and a secondary shooter, although there are no caliber restrictions, to help those who may have difficulties procuring certain types of ammo.  I shot my 6mm Creedmoor RPR, and SB used this opportunity to put her Tikka with KRG chassis to the test.  


Stage 1: Sniper Employment
  • 4 min PAR
  • 5 rifle primary / 0 secondary
  • Find and destroy enemy sniper element with 2 targets
  • -1000 D/A

The stage (every stage) was blind visually, although we had the match book.  


Our scanning plan was for me to start low left, and for SB to start from upper right.  She found a target on the right and talked me on.  My first shot missed, even though I didn't notice any errors, and we couldn't see any impacts through the vegetation, but I tried again, and it hit.

We couldn't find the second target before time was up, but at least we got one point.  We had been the last to go, so we could hear some other teams' impacts (or lack thereof), which can give you some sense of target distance and direction, but it's still hard.  

We both had tripods, and I used a rear bag on the tripod (with no tac table, since I didn't own one at the time).  

We need to work on scanning techniques.  We should start with the naked eye, then go left->right, near->far, both looking at the same things (one theory, at least).  Check likely hiding spots for targets, see where scopes are.


Stage 2: Blowout
  • 3 min PAR
  • Unlimited pistol / 4 rifle, for both
  • Start prone in the hide with a hot pistol and unloaded rifle. 
  • Primary exits, shoots pistol target ~10yd away.  Secondary then exits as well and does the same.
  • Run back 25yd, repeat pistol on a different target.
  • Run back 25yd, repeat pistol on a different target.
  • Load rifle, shoot black silhouette (left primary, right secondary) 2x with primary first, secondary after, kneeling unsupported.
  • 550 D/A


I learned a new trick for racking my pistol slide using the red dot, when I had some trouble with it initially.  He also doesn't think that I need to baby the red dot.  After having bad experiences with the 509RD, though, I will probably always be cautious.

I was visually patient with pistol and didn't miss.  The targets seemed like they were about 8", so it wasn't too hard, either.

Kneeling wasn't as hard as I expected, and the target, which was about at 75yd, seemed big and hittable.  I did shoot the wrong rifle target once.  I should've panned to double-check before shooting, since wrong target eats up time from the miss and repeat.  We timed out with 1 shot left... we were so close.


Stage 1: Talk On

  • 4 min PAR
  • 10 rifle primary / 0 secondary
  • Primary runs into the back of a car on the left of the connex, secondary goes to a car on the right.  
  • Communicating through radio, secondary looks at a sheet of face pictures that primary has to shoot in sequence, aiming for the steel next to each picture.  It was tricky, since all targets were similar-looking, so SB wanted to double-check extra, since shooting in the wrong sequence would be an automatic zero.


The plan was for her to scan all faces and ID distinguishing features.  Even in the rifle scope, it wasn't super easy to see all of the facial hair details, and one target way in the back had heavy mirage obscuring the picture.  We ran out of time before I shot at the target, because we took a lot of time making sure which one we needed to hit.  We had identified the locations of every single target.  


In retrospect, it would've been helpful for SB to have her rifle scope with her, since it had more magnification.  Extra gear doesn't hurt at this event, since it's not like we have to ruck with it, and we have the tools with us, anyways.


Stage 2: Lethality Matters

  • 4 min PAR
  • 15 rifle / 3 pistol for both
  • Run to the pistol box and take 1 shot at a cardboard IPSIC covered by a t-shirt and hit the A-zone beneath it to score.
  • Then, shoot all 5 movers, with both being able to shoot at once.  Only lethal hits count.
  • Then repeat pistol.
  • Then repeat rifle.
  • Then repeat pistol.


The previous stage had been tough with the zero, but we were ready to take advantage of the easy points with pistol.  The movers weren't for points.  Knocking them out just allowed us to get back to pistol, the way this stage worked.  

Once we did pistol, our strategy was for SB to go for the far movers, since she had practiced them the previous day and was much more successful than I was.  I'd work my way back from the front.  

I only needed 2 mil of holds today at the 200yd target.  I had started with my 4mil hold to match what I needed the previous day, but it ended up being too much.  I wonder if my reaction time was really bad the previous day.

Once I finished the front 3 movers, I went back to help SB with the last one, but missed every time and went empty.  I forgot about the lethal hit requirement.  

We ended up running out of time.



Stage 3: Quantifier
  • 2 min PAR
  • Primary - 24 rifle.  Secondary - unlimited rifle.
  • Run to the shooting area, load rifle. 
  • Primary shoots at the left 100yd circle steel, standing unsupported, with 3 attempts required.
  • Shoot from the ladder, at a center 250yd target, left 300yd target, right 350yd target, left, center, with 3 attempts per.
  • Shoot at a right circle targets standing unsupported with 3 attempts
  • Shoot at a 650yd steel from prone, with 3 attempts
  • Secondary cleans up any targets not hit by primary, from a tripod.
  • Then secondary hits 675yd steel from the tripod to finish.


This was a very complicated stage with a lot of shooting.  Standing unsupported is very difficult for me with the weight of the gun.  I'm still learning how to build good positions that aren't prone, too.

I did my best to fight through standing, but safely.  I did try to make the hits, but it's hard.  I didn't try super hard and take forever, but I did give it a try and hoped for the best.  I made zero hits there.

During the stage brief, I thought about my options for how to set up on the ladder.  Lower is generally better, but either because the bottom rungs were skinny pipes or because I was concerned about how easily I could get a rear bag and scoped rifle into the slot, I decided not to use the lower rungs.  I decided to try to use the top.  I ended up having to tippy toe to use it, and didn't try to improve the situation and rebuild my position on a lower rung.  It's hard to sustain tipetoeing for many shots like I did here.  You can manage for a little while and maybe get off one good shot, but not much more.  I missed a couple of times, which I probably wouldn't have with a better position.  




I had a good plan for holds, though.  I never got to prone, which is sad, since that's my strength.


Stage 4: Memory Lane
  • 4 min PAR
  • Primary: 15 rifle.  Secondary: 5 pistol.
  • Walk through a path over the course of a minute, while looking out for and memorizing 5 items at eye height or below, within 1m of the path.  It turned out to be actual items, and not pictures, like we had imagined.  It was all military-related (plate carrier left, H2O bottle right, phone right, gas mask right, ruck left).  They disallowed note-taking, which was our original plan.
  • Once we got to a ditch, time would start.  We crossed the ditch, using a rope to climb up.  
  • Find and shoot targets "right to left, near to far" with the rifle on the hood of the car.  We were given left and right limits.  
  • Once rifle is done, secondary shoots at a 10yd poster, hitting squares containing pictures.  We had to hit the items that we saw on the path.  


Our item search plan was good - me looking right, her looking left.  

I used my Terrapin to scan whiel SB used the fury.  We saw three in a long lane quickly, but took a long time to find the other two, which ended up being in the tree line on the right, and not in fields or anything like that.  I saw one, and even though SB couldn't see it, went ahead and went for it and hit it.  Then, I saw another one and hit it.  Then, we ran out of time, before I could get the three easy to see ones.

We definitely need to work on our scanning techniques.  In the future, I can do R->L, lazy W's, look for clearer vegetation especially late in the day, look past the target and see what stand out, and look for straight lines not found in nature.  Good tips from a fellow competitor after the stage.



Dinner

We met up with Andy and Scott for dinner after the match.  It had been a long day with 6 stages, but we still had to go through detailed planning and gear prep for day 2's 4 stages.  We again didn't finish prepping and get to bed until about 11pm.



Day Two

Stage 7: Unknown Chaos
  • 3 min PAR
  • Unlimited rifle for both (so we prepped 3 full mags)
  • Primary goes up Connex stairs, make ready, shoot from top of barrel, at T1, T2, T1, T3, T1, T4, T1, T5 at 300, T1, T4, T1, T3, T1, T2, T1.  T1-T4 were at about 150yd and were in a row.  This tests panning skills!
  • Drop the cone to the floor below to let the secondary know that they can come up and do the same.


The sunshade was good to have, since it was morning, and we were looking into the sun.  Competitors without sunshades made some hasty ones with ballcaps or ammo boxes, which showed ingenuity, and was kind of funny.  



I didn't have room for a rear bag, even with bipods mid, so I just let the rear bag go.

Panning took time, since the targets weren't in a straight line, and I wanted to count each one to make sure I didn't shoot "wrong target", which was a risk and an issue that SB ran into once.  

Looking back, T1 should be obvious because of the number of hits on it vs the others.  I could've also found landmarks to help me ID the targets.  

We timed out with about 5-6 hits left.



Stage 8: Big and Small
  • 4 min PAR
  • 12 rifle both (which allows for 4 misses per person)
  • Either secondary or primary can go first this time, so I happily gave SB the opportunity to finally shoot first.  The primary shooter had had many more opportunities to shoot during this match, especially for teams that struggled with timing out, but even in general.
  • First shooter hits the 33% IPSIC then 8" circle @200yd from each of 4 positions: 1) logs, 2) rocks, 3) roof, 4) grate on table.  Must hit to move on, although if you run out of ammo, the second shooter can start their run.
  • Second shooter does the same.



We were able to watch other shooters for this stage.  We were deciding on whether to spend time setting up modified prone, vs going barricade style for speed.  

SB shot clean, with no misses.  I missed 2x on the roof while dealing with wobble on the 8" target.  I didn't remember how I chose to position my feet.

On the grate, I took the time to reset after initially trying to sit on the bench didn't work out for me.  We cleared the stage, though!  Our first for the match.



Stage 9: Ambush
  • 4 min PAR
  • 10 rounds for both
  • Go up to a shooting platform, find 5 targets somewhere between the "3" island and "4" islands (which weren't necessarily going to be at 300 and 400, based on where we were shooting from, which we anticipated)
  • Primary shoots leftmost, then secondary rightmost, working your way alternating until you shoot the middle target.


SB ranged using the balcony bar, and measured the targets at about 700.  

Both of us forgot to put mags in, since we were used to having them in already from the other stages where we didn't have to climb something, first.  

I had to trust my bubble, since my reticle felt way canted... maybe it was the platform or the terrain creating an optical illusion.  

I had spotted SB's misses on the second target and gave her elevation and windage adjustments.  

We timed out on the last target.  

My original bipod height had been too low, even though it seemed like we'd be shooting down... again an optical illusion type of thing, maybe.  

SB had a mag spring fall apart, but she had a spare mag to go to, which was good adaptation on her part.

While shooting, I had to ask SB to stop moving, since the platform was wobbly.

It was good that we were small, since it was a small platform.


I loved the energy and passion of the ROs at this match.  They were top-notch.  The most professional that I've encountered.  That includes Ian, who had been the RO at the first stage of the day.  Unfortunately, we lost him a few months later.



Stage 10: The General
  • 4 min PAR
  • 10 rifle for both
  • Run to sniper's hide in the pine trees
  • 5 targets, where 1 is a general in a winter camp top, and the other 4 are plain
  • Once the first shot is fired, targets start to move.
  • Must hit the general before the end, or else you get an automatic zero.
  • Any hit counts, not just lethal ones.
  • The Marathon targets would be doing normal patrol base activities.


We had to ride a rickety school bus over to this bay, because it was far out.  It was bumpy and fun.  We must've looked like quite a sight with all our rifles, even to the skeet shooters we drove past.



This stage was blind, so we were sequestered until it was our turn, because you didn't want anyone to have an edge on where the targets were.

We looked and couldn't see the general, so after a while, we decided to start shooting.  I wanted us to start simultaneously, so that we'd both get a chance to hit two different static targets.  It didn't go as planned, though, so we started shooting at different times.  

We had good comms after that, though, on who was going after what.  

I missed 2x on a diagonal mover before reducing my lead to 1 mil  to hit.  

I spotted the general's head peaking out and shot and missed, but SB said she had it and hit.  It was a good feeling to clear this stage.  It was a SUPER fun stage, and it was a successful stage to end on.

Travis, our RO from Memory Lane, took an awesome picture of us, too, so that we can forever remember this stage.


We took a squad pic with the rickety bus before we left, too.


Takeaways

We were third from last, which didn't feel great, but we learned a lot, and had a great experience.  Again, the ROs were phenomenal at this match.

I did use 10x pretty much the whole match, which was a great step forward from my first sniper match, where I was way too magnified and couldn't see much very quickly.  

We definitely need to practice scanning techniques, which is a more difficult thing to practice, since it's only usually an option at matches where you have MDs who have hidden targets for you.

I need to work on position building and make it second nature, to build good positions, quickly.  I should go for stability over speed for now.

We did plan very well, and did good AARs after each stage.

Onward and upward from here!






No comments: