Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Andy 1, The Proving Grounds @ Gryffon Group, Spartan DEKA Triple Header

TRAINING LEAD-UP


Monday, July 11:

GORUCK Tribe & Training "Gathercole" in 8:42 with a 30#R, which was a perfect challenge for me, followed by the 7/3/2022 RuckWOD.com with a 30# ruck, followed by 3 rounds of 13# sand kettlebell arm strengtheners.  

Afterwards, I rucked 1.1 miles easy with a 30# ruck, 1.2 miles with a 40#SB added, 1.2 miles of recovery with just the ruck again, and 1 mile with a 60#SB added, since it's been a while since my last GORUCK event.


Thursday, July 14:

Did 3 miles in 59:59 with a 40#WV and Ballistic Trainers, after dinner and after 2 hours at the range with Bosco.  We worked on zeroing my new CZP10C red dot, which would end up loosening up after a couple mags because of some tolerance issue that I fought for a while before giving up on it and returning it.


Friday, July 15:

GT&T "Good Nature" for 16 min, followed by the 7/13/2022 RuckWOD.com 14 min AMRAP, followed by the HDT March Madness "The Vitale" 15 min BW AMRAP with 7 rounds and 18 reps.

Plus more time at the range.


Another issue I've been fighting through is a Modlite that won't stay on during recoil.  I got a Cloud Rein Mini to try out, and it seemed to be good so far.

Saturday, July 16:

Visited my sister, who is very diligent about studying.  I thought it was funny that as she was drawing diagrams for nurse anesthetist school, I was diligently drawing similar-looking diagrams of match stages in my shooting logbook.



While she studies, I go on a 7 mile run at Salem Lake in the Brooks Nomad, finishing in 1:01:16, which is an 8:45 average pace.  I sped up in the last couple of miles to push it after I decided to only do one loop instead of 2, to make the most of it.


Afterwards, we went to Hops for a bison burger.  The sweet potato fries were semi-raw, unfortunately.



Monday, Jul 18:

It was a good quick trip to visit my sister, but I was back at home on Sunday.

On Monday, I went to the USNWC for Open Yoga Flow led by Ashley, followed by 2 miles in the Rucker v3 20L with 30# plus a yoga mat and water in 39:58.  Some rugby players joined in for it, which was cool.






Tuesday, Jul 19:

Met up with Scott and SB at the FOP for some range training at 100yd, before we'd be driving up to VA to meet with another accomplished shooter and coach, Andy.  It's good that in the summer, daylight stays around for a long time!



PR LESSONS WITH ANDY

Started the Andy day at Pigg River Precision with classroom time on the fundamentals, a plan for misses and hits, and kestrel usage.  Then we talked about pre-stage prep and zeroed.  Then, we moved out to the longer range for a bit of dope confirmation (it was fine) and a bit of wind talk.  We finished with a couple of mock stages, which was really eye-opening.  Finding, ranging, and engaging, and remembering the stage brief and all of the instructions that you have to follow as you communicate effectively with your partner as well as the spotter, is a lot!  There's a good bit of strategy involved, too, and experience and practice matter.



I had felt a bit intimidated going in, for my first private lessons with a shooting coach, but Andy was down-to-earth and really good at explaining things in a way that helps you understand.  He offers a lot of good tips and advice from his many years of doing this.


THE PROVING GROUNDS @ GRYFON GROUP

This was a new event series that debuted in South Carolina earlier in the year.  I had wanted to attend that, but was already signed up for something else that weekend.  This was another 2-gun competition that required a 12# plate carrier for women, and would involve shooting stages with some physical stressors.  The extra cool thing about this event was that it would include some night time shooting stages, and would even supply night vision gear.  I had never used night vision before, and was excited for the opportunity.  SB and I drove straight from Pigg River Precision to Laurinburg, NC, to attend the AGM Night Vision class.  The guy passed around a Gen 3 monocular PVS-14 for us to look through.  



The next morning, we checked in at 7am, had a safety brief at 8am, and then went hot with the first stage at 9am.  At the checkin, we saw lots of pro-looking guys with very tactical kit.  They were probably in the Elite division.  We were squadded with 4 other women, plus the Masters and one intermediate division guy.  


Stage 1: Legoland

I ended up being the first to go by chance.  I didn't mind.  You just roll with it and do your best.

The stage started with a high crawl under railroad ties.  Then, there was a series of concrete blocks that we'd move over and shoot off of, at targets that were 230 or 330 yards away.  There were also bonus point opportunities at the end, where you could make additional hits to make up for any misses that you might've gotten earlier.  This was a limited round count stage, so every round counted.  Out of 30 normal shots, I had 4 misses, but my 4 bonus hits made up for them, so I ended up "clearing" and got back to the start before the PAR time ran out.  

The blocks weren't perfectly flat, so there was a little wobble.  I also let some rounds fly a little earlier than I wanted, which would lead to misses.  All in all, though, it went pretty well for me.




Stage 2: Movement to Cover

This stage was quite involved.  We started on a bed of a truck, making 5 rifle shots at a 200yd silhouette.  Then, we got down and moved to a ballistic shield, where we did a reload and then picked up the shield while holding up the rifle and bracing against the shield to shoot 5 rounds at a closer rifle target.  Then, we switched to pistol and still using the shield, we did one-handed pistol shooting for 5 rounds at a different 10m target.  

Next, we ran to a set of barrels and shot at a circular target with 10 rounds of rifle.  Then, we moved up to a closer set of barrels to repeat.  I used prone for both.  Then, we went to a VTAC board where we had to shoot through different holds, but without bracing on the board.  It was a close target, so you just had to find or hold a good stance and make your hits.

And as an added factor, there was a multi-part math equation that we had to keep track of at each shooting position, and you got 30s off your final time if you gave the right answer.  If you forgot to look out for the sign at each station and missed any one of them, you wouldn't end up with the right answer.  Everyone had a different starting number, too, so that you couldn't overhear or share info.  That was a cool twist.  I like it when competitions are multi-dimensional, like physical + shooting + strategy/thinking.  




Stage 3: Rollover Gone Wrong

It was about to get even more awesome... this facility, which is used by professional groups, had a rollover simulator.  They ran it slowly, so we gradually spun around 3x until we finished upside down, and then time started, and we had to unbuckle and get out of the car, and then run 0.75 miles out to the shooting bay.  We went 2 at a time, and were released every few minutes, to keep things going.  It is helpful to be small sometimes!  Once I unbuckled, my butt somehow found itself out the front window, so it was easy getting out.  






The run was cool.  It took us through a car lot and a real commercial airplane that they must do some cool drills in.  We also ran by a firetruck, which had a number on it that we had to memorize for bonus points, if we remembered to look out for it.  I paced myself a bit on the run in, since I didn't want my heart rate too high right before the shoot.

For the shooting stage, we shot through a concrete tube, alternating between a silhouette and a popper at 40yd, we shot from the top of a concrete tube on the right at the same targets, being aware of the muzzle, switched to the left top of a concrete tube to repeat, and then we switched to pistol to shoot from those same positions, but at an 18yd target.

On the run back, I pushed it.  We had been told that there was a 15 min PAR time, and my watch told me that I had to push to have a chance, based on how much time the run out and how much time the stage took.  I think there wasn't really a PAR time, though... I think it was more about points plus time.  It was fun seeing the subsequent waves running out as I ran back in.  They had asked us to sequence ourselves based on our best guess of finish times.  I finished the fastest, but it was quite hot, and I appreciated taking a breather and drinking cold water beneath the RO tent when I got back.




Stage 4: Rollover Gone Right

This would be our last daytime stage.  The instructions were really complicated on this one.  Even after the RO explained it, I had Shannon explain it to me again.  The RO helped us know what to do during the stage, too.

We began by shooting from the turret of the car, and then we shot standing from a box that was far away from a car uprange, where the car, despite being far away, provided dead space cover.  Then, we ran up to a close car and shot more rifle, and then switched to pistol to shoot from a few different positions.  Then, we dragged a 100#SB back to the car, and then repeated shooting from some of those positions, and then carried an empty but big jerry can back.  Then, we ran back to the car and shot 1-handed, while holding a tennis ball with our other hand to resist the temptation to use 2 hands.  Then, we ran back to the first car to apply a TQ.  This stage also had 2 of us going at a time, and I got to go while Shannon went.  We finished at almost exactly the same time, which was neat.  






All of our hits were on cardboard, which had an unexpected benefit... you couldn't tell whether your hit or missed, so there was no way to get discouraged about misses.



Intermission

Between the daytime and nighttime matches, we had a 6 hour break.  Maybe the intention of having us start as early as we did was to allow us to avoid the heat of the day.  I didn't mind the break.  We found a local park where we could chill and nap.  We had had a busy weekend already, and it was only halfway through.  I spent some time showing SB what I had learned at Team Tactics, because I thought it was fun and wanted her to get a taste of it.  I don't know how much she enjoyed it or got out of it, but I enjoyed teaching it.  Teaching helps you solidify your knowledge, too.  I played Pokemon.  

We went back before the night match brief to go to the "food truck" to support them.  They had made BBQ.  I was originally going to pass, but once I saw it, I couldn't resist and got some too.

I knew that so far, I was winning.  I had gotten first in my division at every stage so far.  I just had to keep doing what I was doing, to secure the win.  With the way scoring works, though, you can't afford to bomb a stage.


Stage 5: Legoland at Night

Before the night match, we went to where the NV class had been, to borrow helmets and monoculars.  We had to find the right size for our head, and since there wasn't enough for every renter, we shared.  We also borrowed rifles, since we needed lasers to go with the monocular.  The laser was way out front, near the muzzle, so for me to turn on the laser, I had to break my shooting position to reach it.  This was my first time holding the rifle while wearing the helmet and monocular.  With this setup, you don't look through any sights, which was really weird for me since I wasn't used to it.  You just point the laser on your gun, which is way lower than usual.  Sights have to be mounted really high for you to use them in passive mode, so we just did lasers.  

While we were waiting to go, there were long lines, even though it was a quick stage.  That's because multiple squads were there, we had gear swapping, and it was more difficult to see who was where and what was going on, since everyone had gone into dark mode.  There was also differing advice about whether the monocular should go our your dominant eye or your non-dominant eye, and the two people had been very sure about their answers and gave reasons why, so who knows.

Aggressive mosquitos came out during this time, too.  During the day, they weren't a problem, but at night, they were viscious.

This was a fast stage, where you shot from 4 different positions at the legoland bay, with 5 rounds each.  The targets were up close, but they were still not easy to see with the monoculars.  It's hard getting the laser on target.  Something that the class had not covered, which seems like a miss to me, is that when the laser is on the target, the beam blooms as it reflects back at you from the steel.  So, I was definitely not on target, because I didn't know this, and it never bloomed for me.  I had gone first again, so I went through the stage missing every shot and getting 0.  Everyone else behind me learned about the bloom, though, and did better.  I was quite frustrated about this.  Hopefully, it wouldn't devastate my ranking.




Stage 6: Night Movement

The next bay was also a night vision stage.  We went back to the place where we had done our second stage.  We started in the bed of the truck, and shot at a rifle target, and then moved to three other positions, shooting at other targets.  I knew about the bloom indicator now, but that didn't help all that much.  The RO did give a tip about sweeping vertically on one side of the target, and then passing from left to right horizontally until you see the bloom.  People tend to miss low.  It's really hard to aim and minimize wobble with the laser, though.  It's manageable with red dot in the daylight, somehow, but once I switched to laser, it was tricky.  It was hard to see the bloom, too.  It seems easy and obvious when there's bloom when you're looking at someone else's laser from an angle, but when I'm looking at my own laser bloom, it's hard to detect when I'm on, for some reason.  

I actually ran this stage 1.5 times.  I got halfway through the first time, but struggling with "click but no bang" many times on the rental rifle.  It happened so many times, and I ejected so many rounds that I got to redo it, after switching to a different rental rifle that did better.  Another thing to note is that prone isn't much of an option with night vision, either, because of the geometry of the setup.  It was another really frustrating stage, although I at least got a few hits this time.... not very many, though.


Stage 7: White Light

Yay, white light!  This was the last stage of a long day.  I had to finish strong.  I went last this time, so I had all of the waiting time to be anxious about my turn.  I was still going to just do my thing, though, and focus.  We shot steel from the front hood of the car with rifle.  I knew to not use my white light, since the target was visible enough without the light, and my light bouncing off of smoke would just obscure my vision more than going without light.  We moved up to a front car, shot more rifle with 10 shots, and then switched to pistol for the last 10 shots.  I did forget to decrease magnification when I was doing close rifle, so it took me a while to re-acquire the target each time.  It worked, and I ran a good stage. 



Results

Fortunately, they ended up not counting the night vision stages towards the score, citing the uneven playing field with borrowed gear.  That worked out really well for me, since those were the stages where I struggled the most.  I wanted to like night vision, but it was just really tough with that gear.  

I ended up being first in every stage except the white light stage, where another girl who was squadded elsewhere somehow (maybe she was with a significant other) took first.  I was so happy with the result.  I had stayed focused, done my thing, and made every round count.  I feel like I strategized and executed well.  SB got third, which was awesome.  Another girl had led for a long time, but the white light stage was rough for her, which allowed SB to move up.  

The awards ended at 1am, since the night shooting took some time to get through, but it was worth it!  What a day!

This was such a cool event, with the opportunity to shoot at night, the vehicle rollover, and the long and interesting stages.  I couldn't wait for more opportunities to compete at TPG again.




SPARTAN DEKA

My marathon weekend ended with the Spartan DEKA.  I had never done one before, but there was one in town, so I couldn't pass up the opportunity!  This was a non-competitive version, with no running in between exercise stations.  While something more competitive would've been nice, it was fine, because I was tired from the previous couple of days, and I got smoked by the others.  It was an intense 19 minutes and 40 seconds for me.  You work your way through the exercise stations one after the other, mixing high-intensity cardio and strength.  The only real hiccup was that at first, my ref told me to use the mens' ram roller instead of the womens, by accident, but I'm used to sandbags that are heavy, so I was ok doing it.  Plus, it wasn't a competition, so NBD.

It was a fast-paced but rewarding little event.  Not something I'd drive a long long ways for, but a good one to do if it's in town.  You even got a medal and a shirt for it.  It's a good workout, for sure, and something that I wouldn't mind training for in a more focused way in the future.



Everyone there was really nice, and I hung around a bit afterwards, to watch others push themselves.  Just like with normal Spartan events, you do learn tricks for how to be more efficient as you do it, so there are ways to improve your time in the future through technique alone, although fitness will still play a massive role.

Monday, July 25:

USNWC Open Flow Yoga in the pouring rain (fortunately, there's shelter, although that didn't save us from getting wet on the walk to the pavilion), followed by a 1.5 mile ruck in Altra Lone Peak mids with 30# in the rucker V3 20L with Brandon.  Not as many people came out because of the rain, but that was good, because it was a tight fit under the pavilion.  





No comments: