Pages

Sunday, October 16, 2022

GORUCK ASI-P/FIGHT/Car[break-in]/PSD 2021 in MB

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Monday, Nov 1:

After a good range day with SB:



Did a 15 mile overnight ruck around the neighborhood at 9:30pm.  Instead of doing the same loop repeatedly, I tried to cover as many different streets as I could.  I took 30# and wore the Salomon XR Missions.  I did switch from using cheap and rough Under Armor socks for much better Darn Tough socks after 6 miles when a hot spot developed on my outer left pinky toe.  I'm glad I was close to home, so that this was an option.  I ate an Rx bar and drank some diluted tart cherry jjuice at mile 9.  It was 50*, and even in a t-short and shorts, I still sweat a little.  

Tuesday, Nov 2:

HDT IR17-18.2.1 (lower and core) in 39 min, felt good.  Followed by HDT "SIAS" 15 min SB AMRAP with 40#, completing 5 rounds, to start getting back into moving sandbag weight.


Wednesday, Nov 3:

Horizon "The Girls Can" Core WOD in 32 min, followed by 11 min of 2x(25 Superman arm sweeps, 2 min 30# ruck OH hold) to work on weaknesses.


Friday, Nov 5:

GORUCK ACTIVE SHOOTER INTERVENTION 

Cadre Burl, who had been a competitor at Apex Shooter, was being brought onto the Tactical Cadre team, and this was his shadowing event.

We learned 

  • Parts of the gun
  • Bore axis, comparing different brands and models of guns that people had brought, to see why the Glock is superior, haha
  • On the draw, grip high on the backstrap, drop your elbow, have your support hand ready to receive, and punch out.  Practice so that even when you do this and your eyes are closed, you're still on target.
  • The Wall and Trigger release 
  • Diagnostic target - scored 171, with a my misses going left
  • Pivoting
  • Multiple Targets
  • Mag changes

We did a neat drill to test your confidence in your shooting, where you had to hit a pie plate representing a hostage taker, and then you stepped back a yard or two at a time and try again, until you either miss and hit the hostage, or you decide to stop before you do that.  


FIGHT

Cadre Burl led this one.  It was different than usual, because we got hands-on with some grappling.  If someone grabs you from behind and tries to pick you up and take you away, get low, try to hook a leg behind them.


Saturday, Nov 6:


CAR (but not the FAD kind)

I left my car at the range overnight and carpooled to the hotel.  In the morning, I found that my car (and also the range's pro shop) had been broken into.  The thieves used a golf club to smash the passenger front door window, which triggered the alarm, because they opened my hood and ripped out the battery cables to stop the alarm.  They took my one-of-a-kind double-sided velcro interior Shooter Ruck with everything inside.  The irreplaceability of it, and the insurance company's under-valuation of my stuff, was hard to swallow.  

My classmates were incredible, though.  We went on with the class after the cops came and I gave them my report.  After class, they helped me cover and tape up the window with a contractor bag to both protect the car from the coming rain, and to help me get through the 3+ hour drive home, and also managed a temporary connection to the battery.  Otherwise, I wouldn't have been able to leave at all.  They all contributed in different ways, by offering supplies, helping with glass cleanup, and pulling out their handyman skills.


I guess I was lucky that it wasn't worse.  No firearms were taken.  They took some stuff but not everything, and they left some other high-value items.  It was odd.  Maybe their hands were already full of stuff from their shop break-in.  It was odd that they went into the trunk with the privacy cover to dig into, too.  Only one window was smashed, and Compton's Automotive Repair was able to fix the battery connection (since I had to pay for those repairs myself).  They never caught the thieves, but since the shop had also been broken into, there were other items taken, some of which were found strewn along a road later on.  My stuff wasn't found, though, and those thieves probably just think it was a normal cheap backpack.  The whole ordeal with insurance and the repairs was a giant time suck and headache, too.






PSD

This was my first time taking PSD, and it was the last requirement I had to fulfill to earn the Mind/Might patch.  

We learned how to get our VIPs out of the danger area with the bump technique (step outer foot a little in front and outside your VIP, then insert yourself in their original place while bumping them back and out), the throw (pull/push straight back near shoulder) technique, and the rip technique (pull far shoulder to spin them behind you).  The VIP puts their left arm around the torso of the Protector, who hooks their support arm around the VIP's arm and pinches it tight, so that they can move as a unit.  The VIP can look for a clear path for egress and guide the Protector to that place while the Protector continues to shoot with strong hand only.




We worked in groups, to mimic larger details, where multiple bodies could be put in front of a VIP.

We did forward moving and shooting, diagonal moving and shooting with straightly walking, non-criss-crossing feet feet but turretting torso.

For the drive back, I was glad to have ear pro from the class, since it helped make the percussive wind effects of the window more tolerable, especially when the contractor bag tape came undone during the drive.  It was a chilly drive, too, but I'm used to being in cool temps with just clothes to keep me warm.



No comments: