Pages

Sunday, January 6, 2019

GORUCK Santa Ruck Grinch Light - Charlotte 2018

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Wednesday, Nov 28:
This was my first training run (a run not during a competition of some sort) in 3 weeks, and when I come back after a long break, the run tends to feel like it drags on. The run felt tougher than it should've.  It was warm in the gym.  I had a Builder's Bar and a mustard shot beforehand, since I was hungry after work.  This was my first time back at the gym, knowing that I wouldn't have much longer to enjoy the gym at work.  Despite not workout out regularly with all of the recent competitions, I still seem reasonably fit, at least for now.  5.0 in 41:21, 8:17 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  My body's infrastructure seems stable, though my cardio isn't what it used to be.


Thursday, Nov 29:
45 min of body weight strength exercises.
  • Crunches: 500/side
  • Plank: 4 + 2.5 min
  • Single-leg Squats: 95/100, but very shallow
  • Push-ups: 30 slow but good form
  • Adductor/Abductor Leg Lifts: 55/130
  • Russian Twists: 105
  • Assorted Dumbells

SANTA RUCK GRINCH LIGHT


GORUCK supports custom events for groups who want something special.  Team Ninja organized its 5th annual Santa Ruck, which is typically a Light event mixed with a toy drive.  It's fun and kid-friendly.  Charlotte had one this year, thanks to the efforts of a friend here, so I decided to see what it's all about.


Since it was billed as kid-friendly, I was expecting it to be pretty low-key when it came to physicality and strictness.  Not so!  We, including the kids, got the full GORUCK experience, which is actually cool to see.  Cadre DS struck the perfect balance, able to teach us and the kids all of the lessons that we go to GORUCK events to learn, while still having fun.

There were kids of all ages, plus a good number of adults, at the event.  Everyone arrived dressed up in holiday apparel, which added a bunch of fun.  Cadre Fagan even joined in as a participant, with his elf hat.  We were all formed up, and I was looking around for Cadre DS, and I saw him coming up from behind, with a green-colored face, looking like the Grinch.  He came complete with a dog named Max (really, Maya).  I was not expecting that, haha.  He was in character, and got us Christmas-themed coupons... Atlas ball "ornaments", rope "garlands", sandbag "presents".  



We had a welcome party with animal movements and green team vs. red team challenges.  When we didn't move fast enough, we had overhead ruck holds that lasted quite a while.  Cadre DS even taught the kids to say in unison "exceeding the standard is the standard" and taught them what that meant.  It was great to see him connect with the kids and teach them valuable lessons.


We started our movements, with the coupons.  The kids sang Christmas songs while we walked, to try to warm the Grinch's heart.  We did some flutter kicks to practice walking faster, when we weren't walking fast enough.  We did some PT and got dirty at a park, and then found a sleigh that we'd start carrying through the streets with all of the toys inside.  


The sleigh was pretty big, so many people could get on it with the rails.  It also had 2 levels of boards, and while the upper ones were too tall for me to get on, I'd try to lift the lower one as much as I could.  It was in a slightly awkward spot, where if I squatted down a bit, I could lift it with my shoulder/ruck, or I could try to lift it with my forearms, which is what I did most of the time.  I'm not sure how much I actually helped with that, but I wanted to feel like I was helping.


Many of us had brought presents to the event, but to my surprise, we made a stop during our ruck at Target.  We went in, with instructions to find a present to buy for the kids at the Children's' Hospital.  It was really cute seeing the kids pick out a present to give to other kids in need, and it was heart-warming, to see the parents with them, teaching them life lessons.  

When we came back out, the Grinch had turned into a Santa, because of all of the Christmas spirit that the service action had brought.  It was my first time doing a service action during a GORUCK event, I think.  Normally, we just bring a donation to put in a car at the beginning or end.  This was special.


We put all of the presents in the sleigh, and proceeded to take the sleigh to a hospital.  It wasn't the hospital that would be getting all of the presents, since this one wasn't able to take them, but the Grinch took the opportunity to help the kids recognize how fortunate they were to be able to wake up in their own beds over the holiday, and to be with parents who care.  Not all kids are so lucky.


It was lightly raining during the event, and we had walked a long way.  At this point, a kid asked if it was time to get patched, haha.  Yes, kid, I know the feeling.  It wasn't time yet, though.  We still had to take the sleigh back to the start point.  


Back at the original park, we did a couple more challenges, and then it was time to get patches.  The kids had done well, and were so proud and happy to get their patches, just like the ones their parents have from other events.  


It was a wonderful time.  It was nice to be surrounded by all of the love of families and the little kids, and the Christmas spirit.  We ended up with a ton of presents to donate!


5.5 mi in 240 min, 43:38 ave.


Afterwards, some of us went to Hickory Tavern to re-fuel with food and beer.  I'm typically eager to go home afterwards... shower, get warm, eat.  But, I knew that this might be my last event and chance to hang out with many of them, so I did go out this time, and it was good.



TRAINING AFTERWARDS

Wednesday, Dec 5:
7 mi in 56:50, 8:07 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  Pushed for an extra mile.  I need to try to get into marathon shape, since I'm supposed to be 1 month into training already, but I haven't been doing what I normally do for marathons.  Emotions tough this week with everything going on at work.

Saturday, Dec 8:
Squeezed in a 10.6 mi trail run before my flight, at the Whitewater Center.  I explored their newest trails, Smokey, Bandit, and Panda, on foot.  I had done 2 of them on mountain bike previously, but it's a different experience on foot.  You feel the ground.  I did run into a snafu when I accidentally pulled out an earring, and had to hunt for it for a few minutes in all of the fallen leaves.  Finding it was one big win, but putting it back into my ear was another... the clasp on it is really tricky, even if you can see your own ear.  


No comments: