Pages

Sunday, November 25, 2018

City Ruck Tour - Columbia, SC 2018

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Tuesday, Oct 30:
First run (though I had 2 x 10+ mile rucks) since OCRWC, which was 9 days ago.  Felt surprisingly good.  I had considered doing strength today, since I needed that as much as I needed running again, to stay trained, but I figured that if my body would allow me to run today, I should.  There wasn't much time left to train before World's Toughest Mudder, which was 11 days away, too. 

6.0 in 48:26, 8:04/mi.  I can't believe I need to hold this pace for 26.2 miles for a BQ.  It feels so hard right now. 

Thursday, Nov 1:
I got in the strength session, 45 min worth.  I listened to WTM podcasts while doing this, to get in the right mindset.  I had been craving a ruck workout this week.  I would've done one here, except I didn't have my ruck with me at the office gym.  After doing ruck workouts for the past 3 months, it was odd to go back to normal body weight strength workouts.  It was weird to have my body crave the ruck workout.
  • Crunches: 500/side
  • Plank: 3.5 + 2 min
  • 6 in: 2 x 90s
  • Assorted dumbells
  • Adductor/Abductor leg lifts: 55/80
  • Squats: 55
  • Pushups: 25
  • Weighted Dead Bug: 60 w/ 20# 

CITY RUCK TOUR

Last year, a Cadre from GORUCK decided to lead a Capital Ruck Tour, where he traveled to 50 state capitals plus DC, to raise money and awareness for Operation Enduring Warrior.  This year, they expanded it to non-capital cities, too, to make it more accessible and allow it to grow.  The City Ruck Tour for 2018 had a stop in Charlotte, but I had a conflict with that date, but I was able to make it to the one in Columbia, SC.  I do like exploring other cities through events, and my last event in Columbia itself had been my first GORUCK (Veterans Day Tough 2016, Class 2123), so it was nice to get to go back and explore some more.

We met at a mall.  I thought it was for the convenience and free parking, but at the event kickoff, we learned that there was a special significance to the starting point, too.  While the 2017 Capital Ruck Tour focused on wounded veterans, in 2018, the founder realized that wounded law enforcement officers didn't necessarily have all of the same kind of support that wounded veterans did, even though they also give so much, so the 2018 series had a special focus on our LEOs.  At this mall, a LEO was KIA while responding to an incident.  We had 2 LEOs join us for the ruck, too.


There was a big group.  Our plan was to ruck into the city, drop off donations of non-perishable food to the Oliver Gospel Mission, and ruck back.  It was nice to be able to do a little service project while honoring the service of our veterans and LEOs.  We had our flags flying... lots more flags than usual, since we didn't have coupons to worry about.  It was fun to see different parts of the city... residential areas, shopping areas, the setup of a BBQ festival, and then the city.


 
I wore the MACV-1s again, to give them another try.  They did end up rubbing me the wrong way again... some hard points jutted in around my ankles and hurt.  I'd adjust the tongue of the shoes and it would help a little bit.  Even my 26L GR1 wasn't playing very nice today.  I had put an Expert 20# plate directly into the document pocket... maybe it was because the weight was sitting lower than I'm used to.  For challenges, before I got the expert plate, I used to strap a 10# circular plate to the top webbing, and I'd stick a second 10# circular plate in the laptop compartment, so at least half of the weight was up higher.

It was getting pretty difficult in the last couple of miles.  I did meet 2 other people who had MACV-1s... I kept looking around to see who had them, to see what they thought of them.  They did like theirs.  



There was an adorable weiner dog who came with us.  It belonged to the official photographer.  He was adorable, and we kept thinking... if he's able to do these 10.8 miles, we have no excuse.  It was so little, but it covered all of those miles without any trouble!  A weight plate falling on him would've crushed him, though.  He was so little.


Afterwards, many people stuck around to have lunch at BLD Diner, which is run by a veteran.  Everyone raved about how good the food was.  It was quality, with good portions.  It was a nice way to celebrate.

10.8 miles in 3:45, including our stop at Oliver Gospel Mission for the dropoff and a refueling break.

No comments: