Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2018

Pathfinder 20 Mile Overnight Ruck

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Aug 27-28 ended up being a bit of  personal life craziness, but I needed the days off from working out, anyways.

Wednesday, Aug 29:

I started the evening with a run, because after the slogging through of trail running, I wanted the feeling of flying again.  It was short, because I was still feeling the effects of the weekend, but the 4.0 in 31:35, 7:53 ave felt good.  Splits> 8:08, 8:00, 7:50, 7:35.

After the run, I still wanted more of something, so I got in a ruck workout for Pathfinder.  It would also be a chance to test out my makeshift Voodoo Tactical Hip Belt rig on my ruck.  I chose a manageable-looking workout called "Toasted Shoulders", since it seemed doable, and would complement the run.

4 rounds of 5 reps each of

  • 8-count Body Builders
  • Squats
  • Curls
  • Swing Press
  • Flutter Kicks
  • Crunches
  • Pushups
  • Plank Jacks
  • Mt Climbers
with a 25 yard crab walk or bear crawl at the end.

It took about 5 min per round, so I finished this in about 22 min.  It didn't really toast my shoulders, but it was good to get something in.  I didn't need to go too crazy so close after a big event weekend, anyways.

Thursday, Aug 30:
On the way back from giving training in South Carolina, I hit Crowders Mountain again.  I had been hoping to squeeze in the 10 mile Mountain Challenge for Pathfinder, but I didn't get there until 6pm, the park gates closed at 9pm, and a sign at the trail said that just a 6 mile loop would take 3 hours.  I started off from a different trailhead this time (Sparrow Springs), but I still went back towards the tower summit that I had gone to a few weeks prior.  I wanted to familiarize myself with the trails, so that I'd know what routes to take for the mountain challenge when I would take it on.


I went by trails that I remember hitting during the GORUCK Operation Red Wings Tough.  I did some Pokemon Go along the way.  I also took some obligatory ruck pics.  I drank about 1.5 L of H2O, but I didn't need any food during the ruck.


The view was beautiful near the top.  I like how stuff like sunsets and sunrises are always different-looking.  Each one is a unique experience.



For the route, I went on Rocktop, including the giant rocks that we had navigated across during the night, to the Tower, to the Summit, and down the stairs to Backside trail then Crowders Trail again.

By the time I got back, there was barely any light left, so I did the last 0.5 mi or so with the iPhone flashlight.  I did have a real headlamp this time (I'm learning!), but decided to save its battery, since the phone had plenty left.  

6.0 in 2:17, 22:31 ave.  


20 MILE OVERNIGHT

One of the options for "challenges" in the Pathfinder program is a 20 mile overnight ruck.  I had a schedule planned out to make sure that I hit all of the mileage, the workouts, and the challenges in the prescribed time period, based on when I had events and travel planned.  I had to get in the 20 either this weekend, or 2 weekends from then.  Finding a course where you're motivated to do 20 miles, and that's safe enough for your car and you to get through takes some planning.  The neighborhood is one option, but there's the temptation to quit part-way, since you'd end up doing lots of loops.  There's also the potential for barking dogs, legit coyotes, and startled neighbors.  Many parks are closed at night.


I asked a local rucking group for suggestions on Facebook, and they were great with sharing ideas and support.  I was encouraged to set up an event so that others could join, as well.  I went with a 2-loop suggestion, since it would be helpful to stop at our cars halfway through.  There was also a 24-hr Walmart on course, in case we needed re-supply or restrooms mid-way.  

7 people, including me, made it out.  Of the 5 challenges I had planned to fulfill the requirements of Pathfinder, this one was the one I was most intimidated by.  My shoulders used to be fried after 4 miles of rucking.  If I sucked it up, I could withstand 6 miles.  I've done like 13 miles before during events (maybe even 18, at a HH12HR), but that was with breaks along the way, and varied activities (albeit with coupons), and at events, the adrenaline and motivation to succeed allows you to push through the pain and not notice it so much.  I wasn't sure how my body would handle the 20.  It would take a while, too... going at a 20 min/mile pace, you'd be out there for like 7 hours walking with 20lb on your back.  I sit most of the day at work, so even walking without weight for a few miles isn't something I'm used to.  On the other hand, I'm familiar with running 20 miles (usually in 3:15) and have a good endurance base, so worst case, I could push myself through... maybe painfully, but I knew I could do it.  


The other good thing about a 2-loop course is that people who can only stay for the first half can head out when they need to.  Not everyone needed a 20 miler, so that worked out nicely.  4 stayed for the full thing.  

We debated about whether to ruck with the flag, thinking about the safety pros and cons.  We ended up using it, and traded it off during the night.  It was fun rucking with a group.  A few of them are doing the 50 mile Star Course in Jacksonville Beach, and were sharing strategies.  The Star Course is on my list of things to do next year, and I love planning for stuff like that and hearing about peoples' experiences, so I soaked it all in.  It was also great to just talk about rucking and to share training and gear tips.  It's what we're all passionate about, after all.


There's also the exponential growth in the craziness of conversation topics as the night goes on, haha.  That made the whole thing a bunch of fun.  Our feet got tired, but we boosted each other and helped each other through.  Honestly, the 7 hours flew by.  It felt more like 2 hours.



Along the way, we stopped at gas stations a couple of times for drinks, and at Walmart, where we saw a hard-core street sweeper.






20.0 in 6:55, 20:45 ave.

Learnings:
1. Looped course is great, to open it up to more people.
2. Reminded that sidewalk is much harder than asphalt.  I care about that in running, but had never thought to apply that to rucking.  It did feel better towards the very end when we used a bit more asphalt.  
3. I went 10lb heavier than Star Course weight for this ruck.  I had debated whether I wanted to go 10lb dry or 20lb dry here, but I decided to go with 20lb, because a) it's my challenge weight needed for Toughs, b) I want to better prepare myself for a Heavy, c) the Star Course mileage may feel easier when I go to 10lb after training with 20lb, or at least give a confidence booster. 
4. Rucking is better with friends.  I love these people.



No comments: