Pages

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

RACE REPORT: Brew Dash 6K 2018 & SOL FEST

TRAINING LEAD-UP

Monday, Jun 11:
South End Pub Run.  5.1 in 41:21, 8:03 average.  Started slow with the group, then sped up.  Hot, at 90 degrees at the start.  Shade and a couple of sprinkles suddenly came about halfway, though, and wind felt somewhat better.  Usual perceived hard effort, though not a crazy pace.  Good heat training for Brew Dash.  My body craved running today, since it's been about 2 weeks since a run (with a GORUCK in between).

Splits> 9:01, 8:10, 7:55, 7:47, 7:42, 0:46 for 0.1

Tuesday, Jun 12:
55 min strength session
  • Pullups: 7.5, a record
  • Plank: 4 + 2.5 + 2.5 min
  • Abductor/adductor Leg Lifts: 80/120
  • 6 in: 75 + 75s
  • Squats: 100
  • Crunches: 300/side
  • Pushups: 20
  • Single Leg Squats: 2x100 (shallow)
  • Dumbell row pushups: 20
  • Lower Leg Extensions: 125
  • Assorted Dumbells

BREW DASH

Beer + Running, all the yes.

It was a warm morning, but I had a confidence booster from this week's hot South End Pub Run.  The course started with the wide Main Loop, then went to the Lake Loop.  I started at the front, was passed quickly by 4 women adn lots of men, got passed by 1 more man 1/4 of a mile in.  But after that, I was passing people.  One woman at 1 mi, 2 more @ mile 2, and the third at mile 2.5.  I realized that I was in first at the end of the Lake Loop, during the out and back.  It was a nice surprise, since I've gotten 2nd, but haven't won a Brew Dash before.  I knew that if I could hang on to the pace, I'd have it, since the others had already slowed.  I pushed hard, to be safe. 


They had a unique prize this year... an awesome stein!


DEEP WATER SOLO

After the race, I filled the gap between then and the start of the beer festival Sol Fest with my first visit to Deep Water solo.  It's like bouldering, but you can go high, because when you get to the top, or if you fall off before getting to the top, you drop into a deep pool of water.  To make this work, the wall is slanted backwards a bit, which makes it more challenging.  

After the orientation and safety class, you get the remainder of the 30 minutes to climb.  I wanted to start with a more challenging one at first, since the start is when I'd have the most strength, and I wanted to see how I'd do.  I got a decent way up.  When I dropped, though, I was slightly leaned forward, and hitting the water from that height feels like a little punch to the gut.  The lifeguard had recommended pencil diving it.  I see why.  After that, I always tried to go straight down, if not slightly leaned back.  

It was tiring, but fun.  I only got to the very top of one or two.  30 minutes is a good amount of time.  I don't have the endurance in my arms to make it much more than that, anyways.  


SOL FEST

They renamed the beer festival to Sol Fest this year.  Maybe it's meant to appeal to women a bit more.  I liked the layout this year.  They spread things out a bit more, giving you more space to meander through the festival, without feeling too crowded.  You could enjoy things a bit more.  They had tables where you could enjoy your drinks, and live music, too.  They used to condense everything in a 1-block space.  I like that more breweries are doing sour beers.  It was great for the hot day.  Love all the beer swag, too!

No comments: