Pages

Sunday, March 25, 2018

RACE REPORT: Terrain Race - Myrtle Beach 2018


TRAINING LEAD-UP

Sunday, Feb 11:
Wanted some cushioned shoes for my run today, after yesterday's rucking.  I had some stinging numbness in my left toes, for the first time.  My clavicles were sore from the rucking, but it didn't affect the run.  Rucked 1.8 miles to/from the gym.  The run was a bit harder than it should be, but that may have been from the 74 degree warmth of the gym.  Olympics on TV.  My excitement for rucking has been rekindled.

5.0 in 41:34, 8:19 ave.

Tuesday, Feb 13:
My thighs started feeling strong again for the first time in forever.  I think the speed sessions have kicked in, and I've recovered from Iceland.  I've been tired this week because I had taken preworkout with caffeine on the Sunday run, which resulted in poor sleep.  I don't regularly use it... I had been trying it ahead of races, but it didn't seem to do anything for that workout.  A good run today.

 7.0 in 52:35, 7:31 ave.

Thursday, Feb 15:
Strength session.  Oddly, less strength today than usual.
  • Crunches: 400/side
  • Plank: 2.5 + 2.5 min
  • Single Leg Squats: 2 x 60 (not at all deep)
  • Burpees: 60
  • Abductor/Adductor Leg Lifts: 40/75 + 55/110
  • Pushups: 13 was all I could do
  • 6 in: 60 + 60s
  • Pullups: 2.5
  • Squats: 65
  • Russian Twists: 100 with 20lb
  • Wtd Dumbell Crunches: 100 with 20lb
  • Assorted dumbells felt harder, with fewer reps than usual.


Saturday, Feb 17:
After the GORUCK event on Feb 10, I was really pumped about rucking again.  There's an indescribable joy, sense of purpose, and peacefulness, about having the weight on your back.  I went back to Freedom Park to Pokemon GORUCK.  It was mostly jogging, with some walking when Pokemon needed to be caught.  It was cloudy, and almost misted rain... good weather for a ruck.  I went from 0 to about 200 Pokeballs. 

9.7 miles in 2.5 hours.

Sunday, Feb 18:
7.0 in 58:07, 8:18 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  Pretty good.  Had considered a long trail run or speed session as my final big workout before racing season started, but my legs weren't up for speed.  I hoped for a long run, but only managed 7.  Not bad.  A slightly tempo-y finish, after an intentionally slow and easy start.  Commercials during the Olympics are inspiring.  So nappy and sleepy today.

Tuesday, Feb 20:
Speed session, tying my record.
  • 1 mi warmup in 8:05
  • 4 x [5:00 @ 9mph for 0.75 mi, 1:59 @ 7.5mph for 0.25 mi]
Surprised it went this well.  I had considered rowing, initially, or even going home, because I was so tired.  My speed is coming back just in time for the first race of 2018.  Want to lock in my spot for OCRWC. 

Thursday, Feb 22:
55 min strength session.  Not high energy today, but time to get this in before the March 3rd Terrain Race.
  • Crunches: 400/side
  • Plank: 2.5 + 2.5 = 5 min
  • Abductor/Adductor Leg Lifts: 80/145
  • Pushups: 25
  • Lunges: 100
  • 6 in: 75 + 75s
  • Single Leg Squats: 75 + 70
  • Lower Leg Extensions: 105
  • Wtd Dead Bug Crunches: 75 with 20lb
  • Russian Twists: 50 with 6 lb
  • Assorted dumbells, arm veins popping!
Over the weekend, drove to CHS to spend time with my mom!  No training, just shopping, eating, remembering how to play the one song I can still play on the piano, and napping.  We did go on a walk on Saturday evening, which was nice.


Monday, Feb 26:
6.0 in 48:30, 8:05 ave, 2 degrees of incline.   Still had more in the tank, but didn't want to push it the week of the race.  A nice run.  Did lots of eating and sleeping over the weekend.  Olympics are over, so it's back to watching food network while at the gym.  Legs had been sore and stiff over the weekend from the lunges that I did on Thursday.  5.5, 3.25, then 2 pullups afterwards.  Didn't practice dead hangs, to not overdo it before Terrain Race.  I had done rings at the park a little big over the weekend already, anyways.

Wednesday, Mar 28:
5.0 in 41:24, 8:17 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  Held back by stopping at 5.  Holding back is uncomfrotable.  Feel like I'm in pretty good shape.  We'll see how the race goes!


THE RACE

The womens competitive wave went off at 8:05am.  It was in the low 40's, and it was super windy, so I went with my wetsuit.  The race starts in a pool, which made it an easy decision.  We ended up only having to dip ourselves in the pool, rather than sit in it for minutes before the start, so it wasn't that bad.  I got hot during the run, actually, so I zipped down the back for ventilation.





It was a flat course at the Speedway.  It was cool to start the race in the middle of the race track.  We went all around the track.  They had many tire-based obstacles again, plus walls and rigs.  It's a nice mix.  The tall wall had a step.  The tire flip felt a bit easier for me than last year's.  The peg monkey bar / balance beam / wall climb horizontal traverse rig I tried 3x before I hit the peg at the end.  I lost time there.  I also lost time at the tire pull, which I could barely budge a couple of inches at a time.  I also got passed there by someone.  I thought I might've been top three, but when I crossed the line, I was told that I was fourth.  Just seconds behind third.  So disappointed, again.  I will have redemption one day... I will podium at Terrain one day.




POST-RACE

After the race, I enjoyed a beer (Michelob Ultra wasn't terrible), watched Dr. Bronner's foam machine, then volunteered.  It was a bit too cold for me to be tempted to go into the cool mobile foam shower, even though the water's supposed to be hot.  Hopefully, they'll be back at a future event.

After that, I wanted to see some of Myrtle Beach, since I had driven all the way there.  I went to Broadway on the Beach.  It had been a long time since I went there last.  It was cool to see it again.  It's a fun place, with catfish to feed, lots of shopping and dining, and some attractions like putt-putt, a ropes course, Wonderworks, Ripley's Aquariu, and a speedboat ride.


I got a geocache while I was there.  There was a medal in there, which was nice.  It made me feel less bad about not placing top 3 today.  



It was nice to be out there an explore.  I haven't been traveling as much lately as I used to, and I miss the feeling of being able to explore and be care-free.  


My mom convinced me to go stay with her that night, so I did, rather than sleeping in my car or something like that.  I bought her some gifts.  She likes spinners.


No comments: