Pages

Sunday, May 21, 2017

Durham Day!

After finally finishing the 100-day burpee challenge, and having had two weeks of a break from running to recover from Boston, it was time to start getting back into a normal training schedule.

Monday, May 1:
7.0 in 56:36, 8:05 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  The gym was warm.  I did my first run in a new pair (my 5th iteration) of Saucony Kinvaras.  Missed arch support, and feet swelled a bit.  Good performance for a first run back, though.  Went progressively faster.  Splits> 8:28, 8:17, 16:22 for 2 (8:11), 8:01, 7:59, 7:22.

Rested the next day.  My feet needed to recover from the first run back.

Wednesday, May 3:
First strength session in a while.  Did 55 more min of work for the Deez Nutz WOD, which I probably started about a year ago.  Column B shows how many we're supposed to do, with no specified time limit, so I've been chipping away at it.  The stats below are as of May 20th.  Some people did it in about 100 days... you'd have to average a ton of work each day to do that.  It's a nice full-body mix of cardio and strength.  Column C shows how many I have left (if positive) or how far I've surpassed the target.


This day, I did
  • Sit-ups: 250 + 95 = 345
  • Plank: 2.5 + 2.5 + 2 = 7
  • Push-ups: 35 + 25 = 60
  • Flutter Kicks (4-count): 45 + 45 + 45 = 135
  • Jumping Jacks: 100
  • Squats: 80 harder than in the past
  • Lunges: 120
  • plus some 10lb dumbell work
Thursday, May 4:
6.2 in 48:18, 7:47 ave, 2 degrees of incline.  At first, I stopped after only running 0.1 mi, because my glutes were really tight.  It would only tighten up once I started running.  I foam rolled it, and pushed through some initial tightness, and it ended up being ok.  Strange feeling, though.  Maybe it was from getting back into strength yesterday.  Splits> 8:04, 7:58, 7:51, 7:47, 7:18, 1.17 for 0.2.

Saturday, visited my friend in the triangle area.  It was a fun-packed perfect day.

Lunch at Otis and Parker, a mixture of a cafe plus a fun store with interesting gift-type items.


Next, a stop at a beer store to look for some brews to share later.  Plus, I got a Kwak glass, that I've been searching for, for a while.  I like collecting beer glassware.


Next, Duke Gardens.  It was huge.  It's kind of on campus, in the middle of the city, yet huge.  We could've stayed there for much longer.  The Discovery Center had all kinds of vegetables and some fruits, and it was interesting to see what their plants looked like.



The Asiatic Arboretum was really cool, too. 


We took a side-trip to Duke campus, where we tried to re-create a photo that I couldn't really remember.  I only remembered (from seeing the picture later in life, not from the original day) that there was a lawn and the chapel.  




There was also this art installation that looks like abstract people in a huddle, but it's huge, and made of twigs, and you can walk through it.  It's almost maze-like inside - not a big maze, but there are curves everywhere, and it's cool.


We didn't go much into the other half of the gardens, since there was a wedding going on, so there was even more we could've seen.  I highly recommend this place, though!

Next, we went to Fullsteam Brewery, for a drink and board games before dinner.  I like that they have a good selection of fruit/sour beers.  Good stuff!


North Carolina is a great state for craft beer.  Love this fountain!


We met my friend's husband for dinner at a South American place in downtown Durham - Luna Rotisserie.  Really unique and tasty food - something for everyone.  There are so many good places to eat in the triangle.  There are probably some good places where I live, too, but I don't venture out enough to know about them.  So much good stuff in the Triangle.

The next morning, we went to the church where they had gotten married years ago.   Nice to come full-circle with that.  Then, we went to a mini vegan market in Chapel Hill, where we got to try some local fare and support small businesses who support vegan food.  Vegan desserts are the best.

A great 24 hours in Durham!

No comments: