Pages

Sunday, January 3, 2016

Starting to Run Again, Christmas Caching, and New Year's

Sunday, Dec 13: 
My first workout back after the Dec 6th marathon was a 50 min strength session.  600 crunches/side, 165/165 abductor/adductor leg lifts, 2x65 single leg squats (mine are never deep, so don't read into that much), 75 lower leg extensions with upper legs on a foam roller, resistance band 4-way leg extensions, 115 8-lb dumbell rows, 75s 6 in leg lift static, arm resistance bands, 50 Russian twists.

Thursday, Dec 17:
My first run back was on the 11th day.  4 mi in 33:24, 8:21 average at 2 degrees of incline = 8:01 effort.  Stopped mostly because it was a bit too soon after dinner.  My legs were ok.  Splits> 8:25, 27, 23, 09.

Saturday, Dec 19:
My goal was to start building back to where I was before, mileage-wise.  7.0 in 59:05, 8:22 average, at the park, doing Zombies, Run!  It was decent, and my lungs were very happy to get in some good cardio again.  Needed a mental release, too.


Monday, Dec 21:
5.0 in 41:20, 8:16 average, 2 degrees of incline = 7:53 effort.  Faster speeds felt good and natural.  My right butt felt a bit strained towards the end when I went 8.5mph.

Tuesday, Dec 22:
5.0 in 41:20, 8:16 average, 2 degrees of incline = 7:56 effort.  Legs wanted some working, to take advantage of some poppy stiffness.  My right butt complained a bit again, but more mildly, so maybe it's recovering.

Thursday, Dec 24:
55 min strength session.

In beer news, my dad and I were out shopping, and I saw that the Krispy Kreme Hot & Fresh sign was on.  I thought I had heard on the "Tales from the Cask" craft beer podcast that the Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine beer (mine was a 2014 vintage) paired with a fresh glazed donut was a thing, so I had been waiting for an alignment of the stars - winter weather, plus the KK sign being on, and being in the mood for a donut and beer.  It happened, so we got the donut, went home, and I tried to look up Youtube videos of it, so that I could follow others along with their tasting notes.  I couldn't find anything, so I looked for all internet references, and couldn't find anything.  Well, maybe I heard it wrong... or maybe not... either way, no reason why I can't try it.


My notes:
Beer itself: 9.6 avb.  Mahogany color.  Sweet fresh smell with hints of citrus hops.  Balanced, delicious taste.  Malt and sweet mix.  Drinkable and refreshing, due to light hops.
Hot & Fresh Krispy Kreme Original Glazed Donut itself: Rich, creamy oil.  Sugar and dough melt in my mouth.
Pairing: Want to cut the fat of the donut with the beer.  Sugar brings on thirst, so I go back for beer.  Sweetness of donut cuts bitterness of the beer.  Spice of beer sits nicely on the sweetness of the donut.  Peel and roast of the beer provides a nice complexity to the donut mouth.  Hops on my throat sits well with the sugar in my throat.
Dunking attempt: Don't like the donut dunked in beer.  Makes the donut bitter.  Prefer one bite of donut, one sip of beer, back and forth. 

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Christmas - geocached with my dad.  The first one was a multi-cache called Recycle, Recycle, Recycle, which required water... preferably recycling the water at each stage.  You had to figure out how to get the coordinates at each stage, to take you to the next stage, and eventually, the final cache.



Another one called Troll House required some pulling, but the container was very suitable - looked like the Grinch!


We went downtown, where we got a virtual cache that was also festive.


My sister got me a beer map for Christmas - a cool place to display my caps!  It was fun to put together, although a challenge to match caps to states.  I have lots of California, Wisconsin, and Colorado.  I have lots of East Coast, too, but there's so little real estate in the Eastern states to display them. 



Saturday, Dec 26:
6.0 in 48:38, 8:07 average, 2 degrees of incline = 7:48 effort.  Craved salt and protein in the last 1-2 miles... odd.

Sunday, Dec 27:
My dad needed to get in some practice for our January marathon, so we decided to practice together, and try different run/walk combinations.  8.0 in 1:34:21, 11:46 average.  It was fun, although my job was to track the time intervals, so it was lots of watching the watch, and some math, when we hit miles at non-minute intervals, which was most of the time.  We started with 2 min walk, 1 min run for a warmup, we did 1.5 min walk / 1.5 min run, 1 min walk, 2 min run, and back to an easy 1.5 min walk / 1.5 min run for the last couple.  Splits> 12:39, 12:01, 11:48, 11:33, 11:12, 11:00, 12:03, 12:03.  It was fun to run with my dad, and he did great.


Wednesday, Dec 30:
6.2 in 51:42, 8:20 average, 2 degrees of incline = 8:00 effort.  Something, maybe sand in my socks, rubbed my right ankle like crazy.  I didn't want to stop running, so I kept going.  Painful but bearable.  It finally wore off in the last mile.  The last couple of days, I didn't have much motivation, but I re-gained it today, getting psyched about Spartan Racing this coming season.  I have a trifecta (Sprint, Super, and Beast distances), plus a Hurricane Heat planned, for Spartan, and a normal Battlefrog and a Battlefrog Extreme 7.5 hr race planned, plus a Spartan workout in January.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

 
My dad and I went to play disc golf at a course that we discovered close to home, during a geocaching trip.  



 I threw my disc into a creek near the end, and the water started taking it downstream.  Fortunately, I was wearing flipflops and could chase after it.


Friday, Jan 1:
That same day, got in a run.  5.0 in 41:35, 8:19 average, 3 degrees of incline = 7:41 effort.  

Saturday, Jan 2:
55 min strength session, with lots of arms, since dumbells were what was available in the gym when I accompanied my mom.  I had eaten recently, so cardio was out of the question for me.

No comments: