Sunday, March 1, 2015

First 20, and Bare Minimum – Boston Training, Feb 12-28

Thursday, Feb 12:
Intervals at 2 degrees of incline.  4.6 in 33:50, 7:21 average = 7:05 effort.  The workout: 1 mi warmup in 8:05, 4x [0.5 mi in 3:21, 0.25 mi in 1:59], 0.6 mi shakeout in 4:24.  Pleased to pull it off with no issues.  Tried wearing the Brooks Pure Drift for the first time.  It’s my third shoe from the Pure* collection.  The PureGrit is meant for trails, although it’s notoriously slippery on wet surfaces.  It’s very well-cushioned and comfortable, though.  The PureCadence is firmer and feels durable, so I like to wear it on grassy runs.  The PureDrift felt the least cushioned, light, and very minimalist, like a racing shoe.  The toebox was super roomy.

Sunday, Feb  15:
Parents visited over the weekend, which always affects the schedule.   I told them that I had to get in a 20, though, and my dad came out and walked the trail out-and-back while I ran it, although it was sub-freezing temps and windy, so he took breaks in the car sometimes.  

I had an orange, a carrot, hot cocoa, and tea for breakfast.   It was so cold for the first 5 miles.  I ended up keeping my Survivor Buff around my face to breathe through the whole time, where the moisture would freeze up, making the buff stiff.  It became warm enough to take off at times, but I kept it on the whole time, anyway, because the sun was very strong, and I didn’t want to get burned being out there for over 3 hours, even if it was sub-freezing.   At mile 7, I had a bathroom break.  I had ¾ of a Clif Builder’s protein bar at mile 11.  The second half of the run went faster than the first half, as usual, though it was still a mental battle to get through it, as expected.  I listened to 2 hour-long podcasts, then switched to music when the mental effort of processing words and content, on top of the effort of running, became too strenuous.  20.3 in 3:15:03, 9:36 average.  

The ball of my right foot felt fractured the next day, though it improved significantly over the course of the day.

Wednesday, Feb 18:
6.0 in 50:30, 8:25 average, 2 degrees of incline = 8:04 effort.  The phrase “STRUGGLE BUS” kept playing in my mind during this run for some reason.  I think I first learned of it from my sister, although I don’t remember in what context.  It was kind of inspiring, though, because I pictured “STRUGGLE BUS” as a cooler and more under-dog-like version of the “I-THINK-I-CAN” train.   I was still a bit full from dinner, although it wasn’t too noticeable until I exceeded 7.2mph in the last 2 miles.  The first few miles went by really slowly, but from the 4th on, it picked up a lot.  Higher appetite in the past 2 days, maybe from the 20 miler.

Friday, Feb 20:
50 min strength session.  Work was hectic this week.  Good thing an easy week of 3x7mi runs was in the schedule.

Saturday, Feb 21:
6.0 in 49:54, 8:19 average, 2 degrees of incline = 7:59 effort.  30 minutes after dinner, but I had to get out and do a run… had only run once in the past 5 days.  Tummy was not happy at first, but it got better 30 minutes later. 

Sunday, Feb 22:
Did 9.0 in 1:17:56, 8:38 at the park.  Made it 9, not 7, to make up for the 2 6-mi runs which should’ve been 7 milers.  I did a Zombies, Run! app mission, too, to inject a bit of speed in this run. 

Tuesday, Feb 24:
Treadmill intervals.  4.0 in 29:25, 7:21 average.  1 mi warmup in 8:05, 4x [0.5 mi in 3:21, 0.25 mi in 1:58].  Soooo tired walking over to the fitness room.  Felt like crying at the thought of the pain ahead, because I was feeling exhausted mentally, although my body was otherwise fresh for running… pass-out tired feeling.  The run went by quickly, though, and felt guiltily short when I finished.  Good workout, though.

Wednesday, Feb 25:
65 min body weight strength session, with a record 4:15 plank, and record abductor/adductor leg lift rep counts.  I had felt too full from dinner and tired to run while the fitness room was open, so this was the alternative.

Friday, Feb 27:
5.0 in 41:18, 8:16 average, 3 degrees of incline = 7:38 effort.  Felt easy, because I had only run once in the past 4 days… bare minimal running here. 

Saturday, Feb 28:
Got in my long run before having to travel out again.  16.5 in 2:38:02, 9:33 average at the grassy park.  After a nap.  Ate a total of ~16 Jelly Belly sport beans at miles 5 and 11.  My body would’ve preferred something fatty like peanuts, chocolate, or a protein bar, but this what I had brought.  Oh well, it was practice for marathon racing, when I’d be bringing carbs.  Didn’t drink during the run.  It was a bit of a progressive run, with the last few laps being the fastest.  This was the second time I wore some new calf sleeves with magnets in them… don’t know if the magnets really do anything, but it can’t hurt, probably.

No comments: